Morning Meeting

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by AZKinderTchr, Jun 30, 2006.

1. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Jun 30, 2006

Since I am moving from Kinder to 3rd I know I won't be teaching calendar in the morning. BUT I love starting the day with time to spend together. What ideas do you all have for a morning meeting time with third graders?

3. abfoland

abfoland Rookie

Jun 30, 2006

Maybe a read aloud from a chapter book having to do with Character Ed or maybe just a poem from Where the Sidewalk Ends or something similar...

4. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2006

When I taught 3rd- I did D.O.L (daily oral language) . I think you could do some type of "brain fuel" activity each morning and have it on the overhead, board, or desk as they enter, they could do it independently. Then, gather together as a group, go over the material and discuss anything else you might want- today's news, etc.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 1, 2006

I would encourage you to continue to do calendar with more advanced concepts, particularly patterning with a 100s board, etc.

6. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jul 1, 2006

I agree with Upsadaisy. There are calendar programs out there for kiddos even in 5th grade. You can teach more advanced skills that will be applicable once you start with multiplication/division. I, personally, do DOL, journal writing or Mountain Language to start the school day. I have also seen some teachers have a circle time with even older elementary students with or without the calendar.

7. MissV

MissV Companion

Jul 1, 2006

Morning Meeting & Calendar Activities

I'm teaching 3rd grade and I'm doing calendar, but I'm also doing a "morning meeting" earlier in the day. (Saxxon math requires a calendar time)

My morning meeting (written on a small white board):
    -"Today is Day, Month Date, Year"
    -bulleted list of announcements that came on the intercom
    -[Birthday Cake] (does anyone have a birthday today?)j
    -Name of sharer (have this person "share", and pick 3 students to ask him/her about what he/she was sharing)
    -Rule for the day (from the Essential 55) Ex: "say sir/mam" (this is usually followed by a practice session)
    -*Question of the day*

Since I'm kind of pressed for time this year, I'm doing a lot of my language arts (and a little bit of social studies) standards during my morning meeting. So, my question of the day will relate to the concept I'm teaching during this meeting time.

Social studies: "What is proper center behavior?" "What should you do if ...?" "Why do we have classroom rules?"
    Language Arts: "How do you ask a question?" "What are nouns?" "What are action verbs?"

>This will be my first year teaching 3rd grade in a self contained classroom, but that's my morning meeting plan so far.

Calendar Time

Calendar Pocket Chart (Use different patterns of daily numbers, and have the students name the pattern that you are using. Like red 7, blue 8, red 9, blue 10: Pattern is ABAB.)
    [You can also ask future questions like what will the pattern be next monday? blue 16 ...or If Jimmy's birthay is the Tuesday after next, what day will it be?]

Days of the week:
    Identifiying Today, Yesterday, Tomorrow.
    Identifying the Weather

Write the Date on the Day--Month--Year Chart:'
    8/9/06

Weather Graph:
    Show the weather for the month using: bar graph, pie chart, line graph, tally chart.

Temperature: (with greater than less than)
    What's today's temperature?
    What was yesterday's temperature?
    Is today's temperature greater than, less than, or equal to yesterday's temp?

Days this month chart:
    Add a small colored square of foam (tape?) to a laminated piece of graph paper. Kids can create a number sentence using the colors.
    3 blue + 15 red = 18 days this month ...or...
    odd + odd = even

Coin Chart & How many altogether:
    Use coins to show the days in school.
    Make number sentences: 5 (nickel) + 5 + 5= 15 days this year. (Can you exchange the money to make the number of coins smaller but the amount stay the same?) [dime + nickel]
    -Coin Cup: "I've got X coins in my cup that add up to X cents" What coins could I have?

Days in School Place Value Chart:
    -I use the one with the straws :)

Numberline:
    -20 to 180
    Is today's number divisible by 2/3/5/10,etc?

Problem of the day
    -this is an activity from the Saxon Math Series

Daily pattern Strip (written on a sentence strip)
    2 3 6 _ 10
    What is missing? (8) What is the rule? (+2) [This is also a saxon series activity]

Bit Extensive, but I LOVE having the students get together on my instruction rug:)

8. cberles

cberles Rookie

Jul 1, 2006

I am so very thankful that someone inquired about morning meetings. I really want to do these this year!! What kinds of questions do you use for question of the day?? Do you use a book, like I have seen from Scholastic???, or something else entirely? I would appreciate any help/info :) .

Thanks for your wonderful detail in your morning meeting format, too. VERY HELPFUL!!!

Chantelle

9. MissV

MissV Companion

Jul 1, 2006

I actually stole this Morning Meeting format from my cooperating teacher when I student taught. She had a book that helped guide her morning meetings, which I don't have (sadly), but I'm almost positive that it is "The Morning Meeting Book (Strategies for Teachers)" -Roxann Kriete

I found it here:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1892989093/103-8073500-1752617?v=glance&n=283155

As for me, my questions of the day will just be the intro question to my lesson, or a question that will help them learn a Language Arts standard. [You can do all types of activities in morning meeting that "Develops oral language and listening skills"]

Here's one game I played when I student taught:
    Question of the day: "When do we use punctuation?"

As I reviewed periods, question marks, and exclamation points, I had the students shape their bodies like the pieces of punctuation.
    I would say a sentence, and they would show me the punctuation that would go at the end by shaping their bodies.

Then I would have each student go around the circle and say a sentence and the class would react appropriately. It was really cute, and they had a lot of fun. :)

The Essential 55 book (by Ron Clark)--which I just love-- also helps guide the daily meeting.
    Rule: When someone asks you a question, you should answer the question in a complete sentence and ask a question in return.

It's really easy for the kids to take turns practicing this on the meeting rug.

10. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 1, 2006

I strongly suggest that you get The Morning Meeting. It's a wonderful book. There are lots of ideas of things to do in your meeting depending on how much time you have. There is also a calendar program called Every Day Counts from Great Source. (I was going to put a link to their site, but it's down to move to a new server and will be down until July 5.) It's a daily calendar program that goes to 5th or 6th grade with patterns, money, fractions, etc. It's great.

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 1, 2006

I went to a workshop about morning math calendar. It was called Numeracy Centers, I think. The product she used was a Kaplan setup. There were some secondary teachers there who said, "Oh, if our kids could just come in knowing the basics that this gives them, it would make life so much easier!" The morning math calendar for 3rd through 5th can be a quick way to develop and extend number sense, abstract thinking, problem solving, vocabulary. I am going to expand mine this year (not vocabulary, morning calendar routine!)

12. teach12

teach12 Companion

Jul 1, 2006

Calendar time was one of my favorite times of the day when I was teaching second and third grade. I am also one who loves having my students on the carpet for instruction and other activities. I am definitely a gatherer! But, I have a question for those of you who have taught fifth grade. When you do the calendar activities in the morning, do you have the students at their seat, or do you bring them to an area together? Also, during read aloud times, do you read with them at their seat or sitting on the floor? I just didn't know what most do for the older students when it comes to those types of things. The fifth and sixth grade teachers at my old school didn't do any gathering on the carpet for anything, so that is all I have really observed from an older grade level. I would like to hear from those of you who teach, or have taught, older students and what you did! Thanks.

13. Jame

Jame Comrade

Jul 1, 2006

I am a gatherer, too!! :) And I love anything that will get them out of their seats for awhile. I've noticed with my 5th graders, though, that some are physically uncomfortable on the floor, so I give the students the option of bringing their chair along. Most choose the floor, though. :)

For read alouds, a lot of the kids at this age like to draw and color while I read, so again they have a choice, the floor or at their desks. During their independent reading times, I have a small sectional couch and lots of body pillows and such so that they can spread out all around the room. :)

14. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Jul 1, 2006

WOW I am so surprised to hear that people are using calendar with the older kids! The patterning, money skills, etc are what I do every day with my kinderbeans. I may try to find a book that will help me expand it. It will definitely make my morning easier sticking with a common routine. I didn't realize anyone did that with 3rd graders! The gathering comments are interesting to me too. That was something I noticed when I visited my future school prior to the end of the year -- 2nd and 3rd grade rooms I went in to did not have a large group area. Everything was taught at student desks. I hope my room will be large enough for a carpet area. I like to read that way. hmmmmm.....this is going to be an interesting year!

15. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 1, 2006

My 5th graders love to get on the floor. They lounge on pillows while I read to them, work on large maps on the floor, read with friends on the floor. They need to move around. I know they like the sense of family and security that gathering brings.

16. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2006

My fifth graders last year loved to sit under tables and counters and desks!!!! I didn't have pillows because I was afraid of lice--very common in that school.

One thing I saw in a class where I subbed, the teacher had a quote of the day and a vocabulary word of the day. The kids had to write the quote in their journal then write what they thought it meant,a disscussion followed. On the day I was there the quote was something like " It's better to let others discover your talents than to tell them what they are."

17. cberles

cberles Rookie

Jul 1, 2006

Thanks for all of the great ideas!!! This website is the best and the members are wonderfully generous!

18. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 1, 2006

I do calendar with my 2nd graders. They still need to practice those skills. I do plan on purchasing a Morning Meeting book to use for next year. You can get it at educational stores, or even through Scholastic. Let me find it and I'll post a link to it.

19. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 1, 2006

20. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

21. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 1, 2006

You can use calendar time to review prime numbers, composites, factors, multiples, lots of intermediate skills.

22. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2006

When I was student teaching 5th grade, I would gather S on the rug....not as often as I do now in first grade, but I would do it at least once a day.

23. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2006

Are there any books for teachers in grade 5? I am going to have a few minutes this year (before I have had to run my kids down to specials) and would like to try something like this.

The math kit looks great, but $180!!! Dh just about died when I told him I was thinking about buying it :)

24. lfordyce

lfordyce Rookie

Jul 3, 2006

Great book! Responsive classroom is awesome!

25. NRGTeacher

NRGTeacher New Member

Jul 4, 2006

Caught Ya Story

There is a book titled "Caught Ya Grammer with a Giggle" It is kind of like a DOL, but it is in a story form that builds each day. The kids really like this and get a few laughs when their name is in the story or something funny happens to someone. Great daily activity to get started in the morning. Good Luck

26. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 4, 2006

I have that book and it is fun. When I taught 3rd, I would tell them that someone snuck in the room and left a crazy message. They would giggle and tease me back.

27. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 4, 2006

What grades could we use this book for?

28. CeliaC

CeliaC New Member

Jul 4, 2006

_Morning Meeting_ bk

If you're not familiar with the Responsive Classrooms approach already, THE MORNING MEETING BOOK is about to be your new best friend---Truly a caring, but still-holding-students-accountable approach.

I HIGHLY recommend it: go to ResponsiveClassroom.org and click their Bookstore link and you'll see their "core" selections, of which the MMtg book is one. ENJOY,

-->Celia

29. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 4, 2006

At morning meeting we would do the Saxon morning meeting (most days). Other days we just shared or discussed a problem that we were having.

I also ended the day on the carpet, this was usually when I would read aloud to the kids. Most of my kids were latchkey & they were picked up later then the others.