Morning Meeting

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 19, 2012

I bought The Morning Meeting Book my first year teaching but I've never been able to implement it because admin didn't support it. My Literacy blocks have always been first thing in the morning and we were expected to teach it "bell to bell."

At the new school where I am just starting, it's actually built into the schedule K-5! I'm thrilled about that. I think it's the first 15 mins of each day. We're not required to have a particular format (I've actually never even heard anyone mention The Morning Meeting Book itself) but I plan to use that as my framework.

For those that have a MM, how long is it? Do you tend to use the same structure over and over to provide consistency, or do you mix it up? Do you use the charts like the one in the book? Have you felt it worthwhile? Please share any tips you've learned from holding MM.

3. kelsbels

kelsbels Rookie

Aug 19, 2012

I don't post on this board too frequently, but I thought I'd jump into this thread since I LOVE Morning Meeting.

Several years ago I was trained in Responsive Classroom I, and ever since then Morning Meeting has been a daily part of my fifth grade classroom. My Morning Meeting follows the same format each day - to be a "true" Morning Meeting it should follow the four components of a Responsive Classroom Morning Meeting.

To begin, we start with a greeting. The greetings change each day and may be as simple as a "quicky righty/lefty" or may be be as complex as a "snake" greeting or a 2-4-6-8 chant. There are so may fun greetings listed in the Morning Meeting book as well as online.

After greeting, we have share. Each month I send home a share calendar which lists the students' share days for the month. Two students share each day. This time is meant much more as a "share" and not a "show and tell." After each student shares they are able to take three questions and comments from their classmates. We spend quite a bit of time at the beginning of the year talking and modeling appropriate questions and comments.

Third in line is activity. At the beginning of the year my activities are focused on team building. I may do 4 corners or silent speed ball (my own version). From October on, my activities are academically focused - "I have, Who has?", "1-2-3, POP," "10 in 1," etc. This is a great way to review material from a previous day or preview material for the current day.

Finally, the last component of Morning Meeting is reading the Morning Message. I write a Morning Message on our classroom whiteboard each day that includes information about the day ahead. My Morning Message is usually several paragraphs long. I always incorporate what we are learning into the message. For example, I may include something along the lines of: "Yesterday we began reading "Sees Behind Trees." Based on the story so far, how can we characterize Walnut? What examples from the story support your characterization?" We take time to read the message together and answer the questions either as a whole group or as a think-pair-share.

From start to finish, Morning Meeting takes about 20 minutes for us. I can cut it down to 15 if I need to though (I just pick a short greeting and activity).

I am sure I have left out some crucial information, but this is a general overview of what I do. Please feel free to ask me any questions. I love sharing my enthusiasm about Morning Meeting with others.

4. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 19, 2012

I am also trained in Responsive Classroom, and I do it every day. Fortunately, our district is mandating RC, and it is built into our schedule.
    Like kelsbels said, it should take no more than 20 minutes. I am sure you can fit it in 15 minutes if that is what you have. My teammate and I created a morning meeting calendar this summer. We thought of the greeting, sharing, activity and message focus for each month. (we have gotten Sept. and October done, and working on Nov/Dec.) Having a focus will make it easier than scrambling that morning deciding "what to do?"

5. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2012

I'm so jealous you have that built into your morning. We're supposed to teach "bell to bell" too. Except school starts at 8:15, we don't actually get to our classrooms until 8:20 or later and we can't mark students late until 8:35. Um- there goes half of my first period. Ah I can't contain my jealousy right now!

I don't have the book, but if I was going to have a morning meeting, I'd definitely keep in consistent. I think having a set routine would help students settle down in the morning, knowing exactly what to expect. It would also help with the kids who trickle in late, they'll know exactly what's going on when they walk into the room and how to get settled and involved quickly.

Enjoy I hope it works out nicely for you!

6. jde3399

jde3399 Rookie

Aug 19, 2012

I also have the morning meeting book. However, due to time constraints, I can only do certain components or I shorten the greeting. I don't have time to do the acitivity each day, and when I do it usually deals with something we have learned previously. I do the share time (certain students on certain days) and morning message which usually goes over what we have been learning or what is going to happen for that day. I do make a point to have my read-aloud at this time. In the past, I had struggled with having a read aloud time for my kids, and as a result it kinda got dropped, but I was determined to do a read aloud every day last year and I decided the read-aoud book would wrap up the end of morning meeting. This year I want to try and incorporate more activities during morning. :D

7. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2012

I'm jealous as well. Unfortunately I have a created schedule I have to follow and morning meeting isn't in it. I have 10 minutes to get the kids in, take attendance, and feed them breakfast before we're supposed to be in specials. Amazingly, it's pretty much working so far (we're actually done in the 10 minutes), but I thought about implementing some parts of the morning meeting while they're eating.

When I did my ST my CT had the kids just meet her on the carpet and then raise their hands to share anything they wanted about their weekend/night, etc. When I started teaching sped I modified this and let each kid share one thing before we got started with our lesson. I think it's a really effective tool for building rapport with your students. I think next week I'm going to try to let them share while they're eating breakfast (I just have to hope it doesn't slow them down too much!)