Morning Meeting?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by mwil, Jul 29, 2011.

1. mwil

mwil Rookie

Jul 29, 2011

I was introduced to the Morning Meeting Book, by Roxann Kriete, by a professor of one of my master's classes. I am very interested in using this, because it sounds like something that my students could really benefit from. Building a community, learning to respect each other, and helping all students feel welcomed not just by their teacher, but by their peers.

However, it seems like it might be unrealistic to take time away from academics for this. Has anyone used this in 5th grade and found it to be successful?

3. AsherDasher

AsherDasher Companion

Jul 31, 2011

I have not seen this used in 5th grade. How would it work? What types of activities would you do during this time? All that I can picture is what the morning meeting looked like in a kdg. class that I was in this past year and I am sure that is not what you are thinking of! :)

4. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2011

Could you make it read-aloud based, and use books that prompt discussion of those ideas? That way you could work on reading/comprehension skills as well.

5. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Jul 31, 2011

Have you looked a little farther into the Morning Meeting book? I believe that it has a section for middle school - so I think they advocate for using it in the 5th and even 6th grades, with more sophisticated (but not necessarily elaborate) activities.

6. km51571

km51571 Companion

Aug 9, 2011

I used it this year and loved it--kids loved it too. It takes as long as you want it to. I kept mine to about 10-15 minutes, set a timer to keep you and the kids focused. They love to share--so it gives them an appropriate time/place which is not in the middle of lessons! It also helps build friendships and a community feeling which is much needed in a classroom. My guidance counselor and admin loved it!

7. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 9, 2011

I took the Responsive Classroom training last year, and I used Morning Meetings for the first time this past school year. My kids loved it. I did too! Like km51571, I kept my meetings to 10-15 minutes. They read the morning message every day upon entering the classroom, and we did all kinds of activities! They never got bored. It built a wonderful classroom community because when issues arose, we had an open meeting about it. Our district wants this mandated in the elementary level, and I can see why. Also, when others in your building jump on board, the kids coming to your room already have been exposed to the meeting. Try it-you won't be sorry!
    To add: one thing the trainer told us was to make sure that you write the message EVERY day. It makes an impact. I was out for two full weeks this past year-once for pneumonia, and once for my mother in law's funeral. My kids told me they missed my messages every day!

8. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2011

Morning Meeting can truly be academic. Your morning message/news and announcements can contain a preview of today's learning or an anticipatory set. You can get kids to begin to think about topics or review things etc. Also- during activity, you can gear the activities toward academics so that you are reviewing skills etc. Morning Meeting prepares the children for the day, delves into social development and helps the classroom feel more like a community where all kids belong.

9. mwil

mwil Rookie

Aug 10, 2011

Thank you all for your responses. I have finished reading the book, and am definitely going to be incorporating this into my classroom this upcoming year. I'm very excited about this new opportunity!

10. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 12, 2011

Let us know how you like it. I know you won't be disappointed!

11. bryanmj

bryanmj Rookie

Aug 16, 2011

Every teacher at our school uses Responsive Classroom and we'll never go back. I teach 5th and the first 30 minutes of the day is spent in meeting. I always have a morning message that I use to review previously taught grammar skills. Then the class greeting where we work on a multitude of social skills such as a proper hand shake, how to introduce people etc. We have share after that. Five people are allowed to share each day (students are not allowed to share on consecutive days) after the share they are allowed 3 questions or comments about their share. We work on asking good questions and making connections during this time. Then, if there is time we play a game, usually about 5 minutes. There is a lot of academics that take place during this time, it's just not taught with a curriculum. Responsive Classroom creates a sense of community that is invaluable to me throughout the year in dealing with any issues that arise. I highly recommend it, especially for upper grades that can often slip into drama as the year progresses.