Morning Meeting

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by ampete, Jun 27, 2011.

1. ampete

ampete Rookie

Jun 27, 2011

I am a new Kindergarten teacher and have been researching ideas online. What does everyone do for morning meeting for Kindergarten, especially the first few weeks of school when they aren't used to the routine yet?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2011

Establish a routine! Calendar, weather, daily message...

4. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2011

Morning meeting... calendar, counting, weather, coins. At the beginning of the year we identify colors, later add letters, then high frequency and decodable words. We don't have a daily message, but it is something I would like to incorporate. It is VERY slow at the beginning of the year, but gets quicker as the kids get used to it. Sometimes I cut things out the first few weeks of school if they are getting antsy and can't sit for 10 minutes yet.

5. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jun 27, 2011

Mine is on the smartboard. I didn't have room for a calendar area this year.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2011

We also included a part about the day of school. For the first day we used 1 and would write, draw, make one. Each day added one then we knew when it was the 100th day.

We also used something called a word muncher. Basically it's a decorated garbage can that students can put things in. We had a letter and students brought words that start with that letter to put in the word muncher.

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 28, 2011

Are you talking about Morning Meeting or calendar time? Most of the replies seem related to calendar time. If you have questions about Morning Meeting I can help you out, because I used Responsive Classroom and Morning Meeting Routine in my K classroom.

Just let me know, and I can tell you how I got the kids used to the routine of Morning Meeting. :)

8. ampete

ampete Rookie

Jun 28, 2011

I planned on doing calendar during the morning meeting, or should I rethink that? What do you normally do?

9. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jun 28, 2011

I am interested in what you do during your morning meeting. I do my calendar time during my 75 minute math block later in the morning.

10. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Jun 28, 2011

I do calendar during Morning Meeting too, but you could do it as part of Math time-- whatever works for you. I think the best resource for Morning Meeting is the Morning Meeting Book, especially their very thorough description of how to introduce elements gradually (also read the First Six Weeks of School). I don't use all the elements, and I have others I add in (a devotional time, stretches and songs) but the book is invaluable.

11. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2011

I do a greeting each day, some sort of short activity (song/poem/game) sharing (orally not a show and tell) and morning message.

12. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 29, 2011

I basically do the same thing (I also do my calendar stuff at the beginning of math):

-Greeting: Eventually, they can do this independently while I do attendance and lunch count. We start morning meeting right when the bell rings.
    -Sharing time: I have a schedule, so each child shares once per week. 4-5 children share something each day, and 2 people can ask them questions about what they shared.
    -Activity: Game, chant, poem, team-building activity, etc.
    -Daily News (or Morning Message)

I have a daily leader, and the leader chooses the greeting. They also get to write a sentence in the morning message (in the beginning of the year they just write their name). Morning meeting is such a fun, positive way to start the day. :)

13. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2011

I couldn't agree more! Morning Meeting quickly becomes my kid's favorite time of day! Mine too!!!

14. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 20, 2011

:confused: What exactly is the "greeting?"

15. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 20, 2011

I would suggest reading the Morning Meeting Book. They have an appendix full of different ways for kids to greet one-another. It would be really difficult for me to do Morning Meeting without having read the book. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Morning-Meeti...9093/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311165984&sr=8-1

I also just found this book, which looks interesting:

http://www.amazon.com/99-Activities-Greetings-Meeting-Meetings/dp/1892989204/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_c

16. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 22, 2011

Thank you, DrivingPigeon! :)

17. sjnrae

sjnrae Rookie

Jul 22, 2011

This is what I did for the morning meeting last year:
    After putting their things away students sat in a circle around our mat(like a carpet area) and talked quietly while they waited for others to finish putting their things away. Later in the year students also used this time to identify as many words as they could in the morning message that was on the board. I would then come sit with the students and pick one student to start our greeting. They would then turn to a student beside them and say "Good morning _________" and greet that child by name. The child would say good morning back to them and turn and greet the child on their other side, and the greeting would go around the circle. After everyone, including me, had greeted the people sitting next to them, I would say "Now it's time for my favorite part! Good morning boys and girls!" and they would say "Good morning Ms. _______". I did a lot of modeling in the beginning of the year and I would point out the things I saw that I appreciated, such as "I noticed that Zachary looked right at Sara as he said good morning to her. What a nice greeting!" or "I noticed several people use a nice cheerful voice as they said good morning today. What a cheerful way to start the day!"
    After the greeting, everyone then moved to their spot on the mat and turned to face the board where I always had a morning message that was 2 to 5 sentences long. In the beginning of the year I would ask a student to come up and point to which side we start reading on, and to show us whether we start at the top or the bottom. It was a great opportunity to remind them about directionality. Then I would read the message to them, pointing to each word. The message usually mentioned something they would be doing later that day, or reviewed something we did the day before, and started with "Good morning class," and ended with "Sincerely, Ms. ______"
    As the school year went on I would call 3 to 5 students up, one at a time, to circle high frequency words that they found in the morning message. Then when I read the message I would be silent when I came to the circled words and the students would read them for me. The students loved being picked to come up to the board and circle a word that they recognized. By the end of the year several of the students would read many of the words and using context clues were able to figure out the gist of the message. My highest students were able to read the message and as they waited to get started some of the students would discuss the message.
    After the morning message we usually did a quick song and I would send our envelope (attendance) movers and zoo keepers (class pet helpers) to do their class jobs.
    For part of the year I taught math following morning meeting, so calendar time became a part of it. When our schedule changed and math was pushed until later in the day I had to push calendar time to math time.
    Hope that helps!

18. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2011

We have morning work for students to do when they first come in.
    It is fun dot to dots, or other reinforcements. Then after the attendance we do the flag salute choose the line leaders and table helpers and get right into the curriculum.
    The language curriculum usually starts with a story, so that's a good day starter, I think. It also includes songs and poems each day.
    I do my calender in the beginning of my math block.

19. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2011

I teach 1st, and I haven't really done morning meetings (although I have thought about it). Our morning routine is this: fix-it sentences, journal, and then we do talk about our message for the day. Then I go into oral language.

20. NYteacherNmom

NYteacherNmom Rookie

Jul 27, 2011

Here is my morning routine, once its in full swing. The leader for each individual part goes with whoever has that job for that day.

1.Morning Song “I’m So Glad to be Here”
    - students clean up morning work, gather in circle around carpet
    2.Greeting - teacher starts, students go around circle greeting each other
    3.Calendar
    - Leader adds day to calendar
    - Sing days of the week song
    - Sing months of the year song
    - Leader tells month, day, year and makes sentence using MDY
    - Completes Yesterday was, Today is, Tomorrow will be…
    4. Sharing
    - Leader tells class sentence about something important
    - Students can either ask a question, or give a comment about
    5. Question of the day
    -Teacher asks question of the day, students answer on graph
    6. Attendance
    - Everyone stand, leader counts sticks for attendance
    - Count # of kids with wand
    - Count sticks with wand to make sure attendance is correct
    - Math problem (later in year)
    7. Daily Schedule
    - Read aloud schedule and leader flips cards as day progresses
    8. Number of the Day
    - Change number on number grid
    - Student writes # on circle for growing # bug
    - Count straws for number of the day. Add straw, bundle tens.
    - Count as a group, leader counts back
    (Later in the year)
    - Skip counting on the number grid, use pointer and students
    choose what they want to count by (2s, 5s, 10s, backwards)
    9. Weather
    -The weather today is…
    - Leader adds squares to graph
    - Call on students that “notice” something on graph (ex: There are 3 sunny days so far in April)
    10. (Later in the year) Sight words practice
    - Leader points to words, class reads
    11. Get up and move!
    - Students pick movements (ex: hop on one foot)
    - Slow counting with #s 1-10
    - Fast counting backwards 10-1

21. mom2kkj

mom2kkj Rookie

Jul 28, 2011

Hi! I am going to be starting my 2nd year teaching K :D I had a great first year! I had 9 students last year. This year, we have 20 registered! It's a private, Christian school! 1/2 days so fitting things in is hard!
    We start the day like this:
    *Children arrive and sign in (their parents bring them and the coat hooks are in the hall).
    *They look at books....although later in the year, they do a math problem of the day or a little busy work of the day.
    *Once all/most of the children arrive, we begin with prayer, then go into a few Good morning songs. One is done by the leader of the day. They also do a "Hooray for School" cheer!
    *Flag and a flag song.
    *At this point, I will do some sort of learning "game".....usually letter or sight word related.
    *Often times a book follows.
    *Next, we play "The Number Game" which the children LOVE!!!
    *some movement to music....a song to dance to or move/follow directions to.
    *Calendar time.....first, we do as a group with our leader leading...then, each student does their "Calendar binder". We check them.
    *Next, I explain the "Jobs" of the day.....and then we begin those.