Morning Meeting Song

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by awp0718, Sep 28, 2007.

1. awp0718

awp0718 Rookie

Sep 28, 2007

Since the beginning of school, we've been doing a new greeting in a different language each morning. The kids liked it at first but they now have tired with it and it gets them rowdy (I'll do it differently next year). Does anyone have a fun good morning song or chant they want to share? :thanks:

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 28, 2007

You could do Hello Neighbor from Dr. Jean.

We do a ton of different things. And can't do the same thing twice in one week.
    My list is
    hand shake (this goes around the circle one person at a time)
    quicky lefty righty (everyone turns to left or right to say hello)
    Pall pass (pass ball the person on your left say good morning)
    Pall toss (say good morning to who ever you plan to toss ball to than toss ball to someone standing, that person says good morning back than it continues. when person catches it they toss to some one else than sit down. Last one standing it the teacher, than go back through the doing it silent).
    kids are back I'll finish later

4. annafish

annafish Companion

Sep 28, 2007

the Dr. Jean website also has a ton on there, at least they used to. I also do handshake, pinkie shake, high five greeting, etc. One person gets to pick the greeting each morning. It is a nice way to start off your day

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 28, 2007

Baseball greeting. Hey I think I"ll use that one this year.
    All students stand in a circle they tell you if they are going to hit a single, double, triple or homerun. Than you say something shoot I can't remember does any one do this one? I'll have to look it up in my greeting book that is at school of course!

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 28, 2007

My kids would be absolutely nuts if I let them throw anything. We pass a small stuffed animal as we do the greeting. I have one kid who can't make eye contact. We do all the ones you mentioned above and also - 'Good morning, _____,' then clap the syllables in the person's name. Of course, there is a chorus of many numerous claps..... We just finished Charlotte's Web, and one of the kids suggested saying, 'salutations, ___', which was a great idea. We say, 'hope you have an awesome day' and they can substitute a synonym for awesome.

What I found rather torturous is the sharing. I've limited it now to one sharing per day with one question and one comment. I still can barely take it.

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 28, 2007

Haha I did two shares and for each share they could call on two friends to ask questions (no comments yet) last year.

This year I want each student to have a chance to share. So four kids get to share a day. It's getting so boring. They all say I have a dog, or I have a cat, ACK. I'm so sick of hearing about pets.

The activity is really getting to me. They get so LOUD. And I am skipping the news board. It's just to long for them.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 28, 2007

Mine all say they went to Disney World. And it was fun.

I write a letter each day on the easel and use it to point out types of sentences, punctuation, etc.

9. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Oct 7, 2007

We do monthly poems from "Chicken Soup with Rice" by Maurice Sendak. They're really cute and the kids look forward to doing them. They get excited to find out what poem we will all recite together for the next month.

10. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 7, 2007

I HATE sharing time in my class. They also say the same thing every week. Since my students were in my program last year they got used to sharing 3 things that they did the night before and the adults participate too! So it would take nearly an hour for 9 of us to share and answer questions and for the person of the week to show their show-n-tell. I cut it down to sharing 1 thing & show-n-tell for the person of the week and it still takes at least 30 minutes. Sometimes we only have 20 minutes for our math class due to the length of time sharing takes.

One of my aides uses it as a way to get personal info. out the students like who made you supper? What did you eat? Where was your mother when you came home for school? -- the answer to this one was locked in her room "sleeping" with Richard. I feel it pertinent to get this info. from the students since a lot of them have social workers, were removed from their home, are starting visitation with parents who abused them in the past (one father lit his house on fire with my student and his mother still in it)..., but having them share it in front of the other students, in my opinion is inappropriate.

I think I may only have the person of the week share and give one other child each day to share. I only have 6 students in my sp. ed. class, so it is give everyone who is not the special person to share once a week. My aide will freak out and probably call in sick the next day with a migrane but, "Oh, well". She is worse than my students with autism with handling change.

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 7, 2007

In first grade we do our shares by themes and only periodically. For example, in the beginning of the year we do the "Me Box" where they bring 3 things that say something about who they are. Then last week we did a Suprise Theme. We read stories about different kinds of suprises in guided and shared reading all week and then the kids take turns bring a "Surprise Box." We then have them practive "yes/no" questions and then making guesses. It takes time but they do bring varied things and it is good question practice. Later we will do a transportation project at home and they bring and show those. It goes throughout the year but we change it up rather than a blanket share time.

12. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Oct 7, 2007

I have show and tell on Fridays, but every morning we have "headline news" where they get to tell a LITTLE snippet or headline. This way, they can satisfy their need to share, but it doesn"t take forever.;)

13. terptoteacher

Oct 7, 2007

How about Wee Sing songs from around the world...hello,bon jour, buenos dias, good day, guttentag, konichiwa, ciao, shalom, dombredeium (sp) hello to all the children of the world.

14. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 7, 2007

What do you consider a little snippet or headline?

15. terptoteacher

Oct 7, 2007

A head line is "Yesterday, I went to the park."
    or "My dad is coming home from Iraq next month."
    or, "my friend is coming to play at my house this weekend."

I tell them that "yesterday I went to the park and I played with my dog until he saw a cat, and then he chased the cat up a tree and then I saw my neighgor and we went to get an ice cream together and then I....." is NOT a headline!!

16. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Oct 7, 2007

I do show and tell only at the beginning of the year. Thank goodness it is over. Here is the song we sing:

Sara (child's name) is special,
    Sara is special,
    Look at her,
    you will see,
    a very special person,
    a very special person,
    That is her, (him)
    that is her!

17. twincheryl

twincheryl Rookie

Oct 7, 2007

We also have daily "news"... one sentence about something that is important to you... some days I have to cut them off before everyone with their hand up has a turn... other days we get to everyone... it takes a little while for them to get the message about telling only one thing... but with a kind "thanks - that's your one thing", they get it...

18. awp0718

awp0718 Rookie

Oct 8, 2007

:2up:I absolutely love this place! Everyone gives such great advice! I really appreciate it...you have all made my first year so much smoother!:thanks:

19. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Oct 14, 2007

I'm with you Upsadaisy, I can't take the boredom of anything that repetitive. I don't even do much on calendar except change the day, the 100s chart and open the window on my 100 problems to solve. I gave up on sharing. Now I just do a star of the week once a week and everyone gets a turn to fill a bag with home things. We then write to the star a letter and I bind all the letters with a little poster in the front the star does with me. That is even getting boring! he he.