Morning Meeting in 1st

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by mdith4him, May 31, 2009.

1. mdith4him

mdith4him Companion

May 31, 2009

Hi all!

I just found out on Friday that I will be moving to 1st grade next year. I'm already trying to think through how to do certain things (especially since I'll have some of the same kids) and I'm wondering if any of you have ideas for Morning Meeting. I love this part of the day and have used it in my K classroom this year. What does MM look like in a 1st grade classroom? Especially since I have some of the same kids, I want to change it up (different greetings, morning message format, calendar time, etc.).

So...what does a 1st grade MM look like??

3. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

May 31, 2009

I do calendar, daily schedule, brain dance, revisit rules, come up with social skills to work on during the day, singing, pledge of allegiance, interactive writing, math quick intro, introductions, and poems. Obviously I do not do everything every day. Everyday I do at least the calendar. Usually I also do brain dance and schedule.

4. mdith4him

mdith4him Companion

May 31, 2009

Brain dance sounds fun--what is it exactly?

5. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

May 31, 2009

6. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

May 31, 2009

Is brain dance synonymous with Brain Gym?

I did 1 minute stories with my first graders as part of morning meeting. 3 students a day would be scheduled on my calendar. When it is their turn, they have 1 minute to talk about whatever. Then they take 3 questions from other students. It's good practice with listening and asking questions. And of course, they love a chance to talk and have the spotlight on them!

7. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

May 31, 2009

No, they are not the same but you can intermingle Brain Gym and Brain Dance.