morning meeting/ circle time...

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by minnie, Mar 20, 2008.

1. minnie

minnie Habitué

Mar 20, 2008

Hi everyone! I was wondering what you all do for your calendar time/ morning meeting/ circle time. I really want to change things up a bit when we get back from Easter break. Do you do a morning message? Specific games? Any ideas or suggestions would be very much appreciated! Thank you!

3. kindernj123

kindernj123 Companion

Mar 21, 2008

At this time, I often let the children write the message (show what you know). Other times I have mistakes, omissions, missing punctutation, etc. and have them find and fix them. We do the usual calendar and school day count and weather as usual. Hope this helps.

4. lw3teach

lw3teach Companion

Mar 21, 2008

I do alot of big book teaching, reading comprehension strategies, and or/ teaching of whatever unit of study we are on. Alot of times, we do a project to go along with our big book of the week.

5. minnie

minnie Habitué

Mar 21, 2008

Thank you for the replies. Lw3teach, I like to do projects also in the morning to get our day going. Whatever our theme is for the week, I try to incorporate some kind of projects for us to do.

Kindernj123, exactly how do you do the message with the students. If you have them write it, do you tell them what to write? Do you just have one student write it? Do they take turns? I've heard of teachers doing this before but I'n not exactly sure how to do it. I usually write the morning message and have them fix mistakes like you do. :)

6. devama

devama Companion

Mar 23, 2008

We write the morning letter together and you can see the results in their kid writing! They help me spell words, think up the sentences (I have a general framework), and help me with punctuation.

7. love2teachk

love2teachk Companion

Mar 23, 2008

Our morning letter is usually "Today is Monday, March 24, 2008. We will have Spanish and Gym today. It is cool and cloudy outside today. We will go out to play if it is warm." I also will add sentences about what we are learning, doing, or anything interesting going on. I do missing letters, matching sight words on post it notes to words in the letter, mistakes on purpose, letting them write. Sometimes I'll even write it and let them copy on white boards, and just ask them to write as much of it as they can by themselves (on my calendar I have the words Today is by the days of the week, and the weather sentence, so some just copy that.)

At circle time I also do calendar, weather, days in school, and our activities. We often will do our counting then (count and mve to 100-usually squats, leg lifts, clapping, stomping-I need the excersise as much as they need the movement, count by 5s and 10s to 100), Our letter line (point to each letter and they say A says /a/ /a/ for each letter), review from the previous day week (presidents, important people, holidays, etc). We will review our rules if there is something important going on (visitors, field trips, etc). We will often do songs like ABC rock (they stand on the first time through to the first letter of their name and sit on the second time through), the opposites song, Tooty Ta, Boom Chicka Boom, and their FAVORITE is A Walking we will go (this is a movement one-they walk, skip, slide, hop, etc). Those songs are all on Dr. Jean or Greg and Steve.

8. lw3teach

lw3teach Companion

Mar 23, 2008

Love the songs and the exercise!! I will have to remember this!:)

9. minnie

minnie Habitué

Mar 23, 2008

Thank you so much everyone! I will definitely have some ideas to use on Tuesday!

10. kindernj123

kindernj123 Companion

Mar 26, 2008

Hi Minnie,

I have one student suggest what to write, then that one would start the sentence with a capital letter. I model writing the rest of the word then go to the next one and ask who knows what sound they hear at the beginning of that word, let them start it, let them show if it should be a capital letter or not, and if it is one of our word wall words, let them write the whole word. I also ask what punctuation should be put in and let them put it in where it belongs, also. So, I ask a whole bunch of different students even though only one actually gave the text to write. It usually ends up being a one or two sentence message because it takes soooo long! But, it is so worth it when we all read it together after. You can just feel the pride!