Morning meeting, anyone?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Mrs. Mom, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Jul 29, 2008

What is morning meeting, exactly, and does anyone do it in third grade? I am not familiar with this. I have never heard of a classroom in my area doing it, although maybe many are. I read somewhere it is like circle time for older kids....with many benefits. Could someone who has done this for third/fourth grade or who knows how to incorporate it for this grade level explain it to me, if you feel it is worthwhile?

3. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Jul 29, 2008

4. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2008

You should look at the Forum on here for The First Six Weeks of School and read some of those posts...very helpful!!!!! I love Responsive Classroom.

5. agraythetford

agraythetford New Member

Aug 4, 2008

Morning Meeting consists of a short meeting telling the students about the schedule for the day-- a greeting (there are many activities to choose from), an activity, and usually a short sharing portion. Within morning meeting we talk about what will go on that day, read the morning message, and do our calendar routine. This is the jumping off point for the day and sets the mood for the day in the room! It's a great thing-- it's part of Responsive Classroom which is great for the social curriculum and climate of the school.

6. MissV

MissV Companion

Aug 4, 2008

7. JTeach619

JTeach619 Companion

Aug 9, 2008

This is an awesome resource for Morning Meeting! I got so many ideas from here. Unfortunately, I don't have enough space to sit 24 students on the floor and even less in a circle. Is there anyway we can still do morning meeting with students at their seat? (I know it's definitely not the same but I would hate to do away with it altogether!)

8. shopaholic

shopaholic Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

I teach fourth grade and I use it with my class. First I begin each day with a morning message on the board which welcomes the children and gives them instruction for their morning work. I usually include a question on there that will give them some idea of what we might be working on in math, reading, and or writing that day. Then I begin my day with morning meeting. The kid sit in a circle on the rug. On Mondays, I usually let each kid share 1 thing they did that weekend. On other days we play a game to foster community and teamwork. There are some great books out there to help you get started. They are part of the Responsive Classroom. There is a book called "The Morning Meeting Book". There is also "Morning Messages", Morning Meeting Games, and The First Six Weeks of School. They are great resources as is the website. I will try to find the link for you and post it. If not, just search for responsive classroom. The kids love it and I really feel that it fosters a sense of community in the classroom. I have seen my kids grow and mature so much. The parents have been complimentary of what goes on in my classroom and say that they see a difference in their children. Good luck!