morning math activities

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by heatherhawaii, Jul 26, 2008.

1. heatherhawaii

heatherhawaii Rookie

Jul 26, 2008

I will be teaching just math and reading this year, and I really wanted to get some great ideas for teaching math and making math fun to learn. Does anyone do a morning math routine? I used to do something like this with kindergarten with counting the days and doing place value, does anyone do anything like this for 4th grade?

3. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jul 26, 2008

My 4th Graders do Tile Teasers every morning. Basically, it is a (or several) math equations that can be made by using the digits 0 - 9 one time each. Each Tile Teaser can have multiple solutions. I make a copy of the day's problem on a piece of construction paper so it is large enough for everyone to see. The students work with their own tiles and when they have a solution we record it on the overhead. If it checks, that student records their solution on a post-it and places it on the chart, complete with their name. That solution is then taken and to record a solution you have to come up with a new one.

The kids love these and try really hard to beat the previous total of solutions. Last year's class set a new record of 235 solutions for one problem!

Marcy Cook created the Tile Teaser book that I have. She has lots of other great materials too.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 26, 2008

I usually have some kind of brain teaser or word problem for them to do in the morning. We also do calendar math right after the pledge. It is pretty extensive (5th grade).

One kind of math problem I like is called four square (I made that up 'cause I don't know what it is called). Put a 2 x 2 table on the board and one number in each box. Kids must find which number doesn't belong and tell why. It is very interesting to see what they come up with. You can vary the difficulty of the problems easily and gear them to the topic you are studying or want to review, too.

5. JAM!

JAM! Rookie

Jul 31, 2008

Oh! You need to check out Every Day Counts Math Calendar (published by Great Source). I use it with my fifth graders and it is an amazingly wonderful daily math supplement. :haha:
    It's very challenging and hands-on, and covers/reviews all the math strands (geometry, algebraic thinking, number sense, problem solving, etc). There are calendar kits for every grade level.

6. allyd

allyd Rookie

Aug 2, 2008

I use Everday Math Calendar, too. I love it. I don't use all of the parts but switch it around throughout the year.