Morning Check In

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Soon2BTeaching, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Soon2BTeaching

Soon2BTeaching Rookie

Aug 9, 2007

I am going to be teaching Kinder in the fall for the first time and am trying to decide what type of check in procedure I'd like to use.

I would love some ideas!!!

:thanks:

3. SLteaCh

SLteaCh Companion

Aug 9, 2007

You could have clothespins with each child's name on it for them to clip on the "Here" side, as they walk in. Depending on the theme you're using, you can adapt the display. For example, if you are using frogs, the clothespins could have pom-pom flies on the end and be clipped onto a frog's tongue. It will be easy to see how many students' names have not been changed onto the "Present" side. Since k's can't read coming into school, you'll probably want to label the "here" side with a smiley and the "absent" side with a frown -- or something to that effect. Hope that helps!

4. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Aug 9, 2007

We have a pocket chart with the kids names on each pocket. THere is also a matching card that the kids pick up and put into their pocket. THis way we just look at the cards or the empty pocket to see who is missing. This is great for name recognition.

5. jenejoy

jenejoy Companion

Aug 9, 2007

We hang the kids names (first only at the beginning an dthen last too later on) on an attendance board. They have to find their name and look too see if they have the letter of the day in their name then they put it either in yes or no. we go through the yes envelope to check who got it right. I pretty much have an idea of who should or shouldn't be in there so I will also point out another friend if they were supposed to be in there. I start with capitals (then they are only looking at their first letter and then move on to lowercase) after we introduce sounds we start looking for sounds in our name and have a daily sound card we use.

6. Lilly4

Lilly4 Rookie

Aug 9, 2007

I begin the year with popsicle sticks for kids to put in a jar if they are here- first names, later one last names. After a month or so I begin sign-in sheets. First kids trace their name, later in the year they write it with a model, and at the end of the year they are writing their first and last name with no model each morning. I used to do this on copy paper but since we had to cut back on copies I laminated cardstock pieces and use wet-erase markers. The kids seem to enjoy signing in and they are awesome at their name by June! :)

7. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2007

I have tongue depressors with each child's name on it in a pocket chart by the door. The children come in, grab their stick and put it in a cup, then I use that cup and sticks during the day to call on students.

8. Kteacher06

Kteacher06 Companion

Aug 9, 2007

We have to have our lunch count ready first thing in the morning, so I have the kids do it. When they come in, they go to a basket where they find their name (with their photo) and put it on the wall (you could use a pocket chart, magnetic surface, velcro, etc) under the title "Hot Lunch" or Bag Lunch". This way my para can easily count the hot lunches and if a card (with photo/name) is left in the basket we know they are absent. This takes some practice, but they get it down pretty quick.

9. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 10, 2007

I do something very similar. As the year goes on I have students write down the number for each lunch choice to practice writing numbers. It's called the server job. The kids love the job because they get to act like the server/waiter at the restaurant.

10. Soon2BTeaching

Soon2BTeaching Rookie

Aug 11, 2007

Thank you everyone for your ideas! They are all great!

11. SittinInATree

SittinInATree Companion

Aug 11, 2007

Last year I had a stoplight behavior system where each kid started with their clip on green. So in the morning I had them put their clip on green so not only did it serve as a "here" visual but it also allowed the kids to start themselves on "green" every day.

12. Kindtchr

Kindtchr Comrade

Aug 11, 2007

My students find their name card in a pocket chart and have to copy it. We call them name tickets. I start without lines. When the student brings me (or my assistant) the ticket the child has to name each letter in their name. This lets me know who needs more practice learning letters and starts them all spelling their names. Students that can easily spell their names are asked to identify the letters backwards or in random order. As the year progresses I change the name tickets. We add lines for correct letter placement, last names, the date written in numbers (which they identify instead of letter identification, ex.:8/11/07) and by the end of the year they write names, date and titles of simple 8 page mini-books they have chosen to read (they tell us the title, a new one every day). The student has to bring us the laminated card from the pocket chart as well as their printed ticket. My assistant & I just check the pocket chart to see which names are still there. I sometimes use the tickets to display with their work on the board & save samples to note progress made. In the beginning of the year I use a date stamp.
    I also have a laminated set of cards with all the students names that I flip through at circle time. I tell the students that they have a chance to teach the class how to read their names. When a name is shown, that student reads it out loud. If someone is not paying attention the other students get to whisper the name. When a child is absent they get to tell who is not here. They learn all the names quickly. As we learn letters, shapes, words and numbers I mix those cards in as well. It gives us a quick review every day.

13. Mommyof2xys

Mommyof2xys Rookie

Aug 14, 2007

I use a pocket chart that has a schoolhouse on one side and a regular house on the other side...we have put a line in the middle to seperate. I use different tags throughout the year that the students will have to move when they enter the classroom...first name, last name, first and last name, lunch code, telephone number...etc...My assistant and I have a copy of everyone's number nearby and eventually we know everyone's phone number and address by heart.

14. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Aug 14, 2007

The first thing my students do is take out their daily take home folder and put it in the basket. Then they find their apple and put it on either the school lunch, pack lunch, or peanut butter sandwich from the "home" section. My lunch board is a piece of wood I bought at Lowe's and then painted red. I then glued laminated sentence strips on there to write in what we are having for lunch. Plus it separates the school lunch, pack, and "home" section. Then I hot glued three strips of velcro under each category. During the beginning of the year only one or two know their last name, but they know it much faster than the rest of the kindergarten classes because I only put the last name on the apple! I even put my name on their so they learn to recognize my name and remind me to move my apple!