Morning and Afternoon routines

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by trayums, Jul 22, 2011.

1. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2011

Hi there!
    I was wondering if anyone might be willing to share their morning routines (entering etc.) with me and more importantly the afternoon pack up and dismissal prep. routines with me. It always seems so chaotic in my room and I am really striving to make mine more effective this year! :)

3. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 22, 2011

In the morning the kids come in. Unpack, hang up their stuff. Put their homework folder and important notes in bins near my desk. They go to read the message of the day and then go to their seats and either write in their journal or read books that they keep in their book baskets near their desk.

Afternoon- The students are called by tables to pack up. They go to the carpet to sit with their bookbags. While we are all seated we recap the day and I read a story. We go over important things that will happen the next day. I have the chair stackers do their job. Once they are done I line the students up in order for how they are dismissed. Walkers line up first, daycare, etc.

Goes smoothly for me.

4. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 22, 2011

In the morning the kids come in. Unpack, hang up their stuff. Put their homework folder and important notes in my In-basket. They go to their desks and immediately begin working on their "Morning Work," which is up on the SmartBoard waiting for them (it is generally handwriting, editing, or spelling/sight word work. Sometimes, I give them a sight word search instead, but they ALWAYS have something to do.

Afternoon- The students are called by tables to pack up. I read from a chapter book until the bell rings at 2:45, when car riders leave. Buses are called by number, and walkers leave at 3:00. Between 2:45 and 3:00, the bus riders and walkers help me get the room ready for the next day (sharpen pencils, etc.). Sometimes (not always), they earn a treat!

5. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2011

I use a song. I have a CD of songs I use to start the day and when the song ends, they need to be settled. This has worked great. It's 2-3 minutes of chaos, but the day is ready to start as soon as it ends.

6. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jul 25, 2011

I don't really have any extra ideas, but I am looking to get better at this too! This year I always had them come in, unpack, bathrooms, sharpen pencils...lunch count on the smart board and then some type of morning work. Sometimes it was math, sometimes TFK, sometimes writing.

I didn't do a very good job setting up my expectations on how I would like it to look and sound. It was a little to chaotic for me as well.

One of my team members has them do writing every day, Friday is always free-write, Monday is always about the weekend. Then she has them do a sentence starter or topic to write about. I was thinking of doing something similar to this, but am not positive. I'm not crazy about the idea of always giving them topics to write about, but I like the Monday/Friday.

I'd read somewhere about having the students write down the morning message (from the teacher) in their journal everyday. I suppose I could have a question and then they would write their answer below. But I want it to be independent, and somewhat purposeful. My other issue- the kids never get done with the work at the same time! What do you have for them to do after?

7. Elm512

Elm512 Companion

Jul 26, 2011

My kids read when they finish. They have book baskets on their desk so that they don't need to get up and disturb those who are working. I play soft music for the entire 30 minutes (students can begin entering at 8, final bell is 8:30. It really helps to keep them calm!
    This year, we had writing directly after morning work. OFTEN my morning work related to what we would be doing in writing that day. It really helped to make the morning run smoothly.

8. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2011

I greet my students at the door. They enter the room and put their name stick from a pocket chart into a cup on the front table. (I use the sticks for name drawing)
    They put their back packs in the cubbies and their planners in a box. They grab their morning work--Drops in a Bucket.
    While they're doing this, I"m doing attendance and checking for notes from home. Quiet music is playing in the background and this is a silent--no talking time.
    As soon as they finish their work, they turn it in. By then I am able to check work as it's turned in. I have them make corrections and then file them. Those that finish early know that they can "read, write or draw".
    When they're all done, we meet at the carpet for calendar time. I don't even have to say anything because they know when I turn on all the lights and get the micorphone that it's time to go.

9. luv2teach1st

luv2teach1st Rookie

Jul 27, 2011

I love the idea of playing music while they are working. What kind of music do you play?

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2011

Morning: kids come in, put away their things, turn in homework, get their journals and sentence books, and begin working on their fix-it sentences and journal write. When done, there is either an activity for them, or they read.

In the afternoon, kids straighten their groups, someone passes out homework, and groups are dismissed to pack-up only when their group is clean, quiet and ready, and in the ready position (hands folded on desk, voices turned off).

11. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Jul 27, 2011

I need to work on this as well. However I have to include breakfast as the students are served breakfast every morning in the classroom :( I usually have them come in, put up bags/homework, and start seat work (normally math problems). Once breakfast is served I read them a book while they eat, or show them brainpop, a story, or something similar on the smartboard. I am hoping to have a smoother breakfast/clean-up transition this year....

12. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2011

I just made a play list with "don't worry, be happy" and "good morning" from Singing in the rain, the Brady Bunch "Sunshine Day". I hope that if I start that when they enter the room, by the time the songs are done, the kids are ready to work.
    While they're working, I play mostly new age instrumental.

13. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2011

Thank you all for your wonderful ideas. I am soooo happy that I wrote this post and that I got so many helpful posts back. I am REALLY making it a priority to make morning routine and afternoon routine better this year because I really think it sets the tone for the day and the afternoon dismissal as well. I am going to start using the music idea and read the morning message as well--and sign in maybe? Find a way to do a quick attendance chart or something. We do attendance on the computer but I think if I can just look over and see who is out it will be fast. My kids trickle in between 8:30 and 8:45, so like many of you, some kids finish their morning work and have time to spare and others don't get to it. i have tried doing read to self when they first come in too which was nice but not sure I loved it. I used Drops in a Bucket in 2nd grade and may use that as well.
    What do you all think of using writing prompt journals? I tried this last year and really loved it but again, some kids would finish and others wouldnt have time to start because of the time they entered.
    Thank you again for your responses!!!! I *heart* A to Z!!!