Morning Activity for the First Day of School

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by sjnrae, Aug 6, 2011.

1. sjnrae

sjnrae Rookie

Aug 6, 2011

I was wondering what you do as your morning activity on the first day. At our school many of the students are dropped off by parents directly at our classroom on the first day, and students arrive at different times. What do you have your early arrivals do while waiting for the class to arrive, or while waiting for the bell to ring? In the past I've had paper and coloring supplies out on the desks for them, however I'd love to hear other ideas.
    Thanks!

3. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2011

I do have a small morning work packet on the desk for when they arrive. We always do morning work while attendance is taken and children arrive, so I figure, get them started with the correct routine the first day! When we come to the carpet, we will hear a First day of Kindergarten story, and a get to know our names activity. :) Good luck! When do you start?

4. Kindtchr

Kindtchr Comrade

Aug 8, 2011

You could set out activities on the tables such as play dough, puzzles, any manipulatives that are easy to clean up when you are ready to start the day. When you give the clean up signal you can direct the students at each table how to clean up and where to store the materials. Have a great first day.:)

5. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2011

I have a full desription of my first day/week here, but my favorite thing to do is put out a bag of playdough. THey can work with it on their own and it is relaxing to those who may have jitters. I add food coloring in the center to make it more fun and plan follow up activities with them once they are all settled.

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 8, 2011

Playdough keeps them busy longer than coloring and then they can take it home as a first day of school treat. I have made it myself in the past to keep it cheap.

7. k-tchr

k-tchr Rookie

Aug 9, 2011

I put out different items at 4 tables. Play dough, crayons and paper, puzzles, unifix cubes, etc. I let them choose. This year I will probably go for 2 tables of playdough since it is usually a favorite.

8. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Aug 10, 2011

I have the kids do magic playdough. It is white homemade playdough. I make up a ball of playdough for each kid. I put a dot of food coloring in each ball. As the kids come in I tell them I am giving them their very own magic playdough. If it changes colors, that means we will have a great year in Kindergarten. They get really excited when it changes. They will also start talking to their neighbors about it too, comparing colors and shades. Most of my kids all come at the same time so this works well.

9. punchinello

punchinello Comrade

Aug 10, 2011

I always wanted to do the magic playdoh! Dumb question - do you use a dropper for the food coloring?

10. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Aug 11, 2011

I just use the food coloring bottle and put a few drops in each. A dropper would work too.

11. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Aug 12, 2011

What a neat idea!! I have a question though. Doesn't the food coloring dye their little hands and get on their clothes?? I'm guessing not, but I'm wondering how. :blush: Also, can you give me the recipe you use?

12. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Aug 12, 2011

I never had trouble with it staining their hand or clothes. I suppose if you put a lot it could. Once it mixes with the playdough it is just like playdough. My recipe is at school I will get it for you tomorrow. I got it off the Internet years ago, but not sure of the website. If I find it I'll post it.:)

13. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Aug 12, 2011

14. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Aug 13, 2011