More Than One Fry's Word List?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by time out, Sep 29, 2013.

1. time out

time out Comrade

Sep 29, 2013

Hi, all. I'm using Fry's instant words as part of my reading and spelling instruction. However, I've noticed that there are different lists floating around out there. Some have the word oil in them and others do not. How do I know which is the official word list? Has the original list been updated?

Thanks.

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 29, 2013

There are multiple lists because of the different difficulty levels. There are 10 100 word lists.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 29, 2013

I see what you are talking about now :) I pulled up the first 100 and one had 'am' and one had 'oil'. I'm not sure which is official, but I'm 100% sure the word 'am' is more common than the word 'oil'!

5. time out

time out Comrade

Sep 29, 2013

Yeah, I might just go with the list that's from the book, The Reading Teacher's Book of Lists. I thought that maybe they updated them or something.

6. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Sep 29, 2013

The Fry and Dolch are the two most common lists floating around. One was written like a hundred years ago based on the words that showed up most often in text. The other list is a recent version created from more recent texts.

7. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Sep 30, 2013

Interesting question. I'm not sure I'd sweat very minor differences - if in doubt and both words appear common, just include them both. After all, having exactly 100 words was probably more because of either marketing or having to draw the line somewhere. Nothing wrong with having 101 :).

8. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Oct 1, 2013

You're pretty close, Loveslabs, when you say that the one of the lists was compiled "like a hundred years ago". The following comes from Wikipedia:
    "The Dolch Word List is a list of frequently used words compiled by Edward William Dolch, PhD, a major proponent of the "whole-word" method of beginning reading instruction. The list was prepared in 1936. Dolch compiled the list based on children's books of his era, which is why nouns such as "kitty" and "Santa Claus" appear on the list instead of more high-frequency words."

The FRY list makes much more sense as it is composed of the most commonly used words today. The #1 word on the list is "the" because "the" is the most common word. Then comes "of, and, a, to, in, is, you" etc. The first 25 words on the list make up 1/3 of the words we encounter in normal daily reading and, if a child has mastered the first 100, s/he's mastered 1/2 of the words likely to be encountered.

The Fry list is the one to go with....