More Need for Upper Elementary Teachers

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by TeacherShelly, May 31, 2007.

1. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

May 31, 2007

Hi,

The principal told me today they have a greater need for teachers in 4-5th than K-3. I talked with my master teacher and she said the kids in the upper grades are more difficult to work with, there are more of them (30), the hours are longer (30 minutes per day more), and the work is multiplied (grading, conferences, etc, for 10 more students).

Does anyone know why there is no pay difference between the two jobs? And what benefits are there to working with upper elementary kids?

Thanks,
    Shelly

3. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

May 31, 2007

Around here the pay scale is the same. Benefits that I have found for upper elementary teachers are mostly based around the fact that the students are more independent and can work on projects without direct teacher supervision (i.e., literature circles, webquests, etc.).

4. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

May 31, 2007

The work is equally hard. Just different. Here the hours are the same. If the hours are different I find it funny the union doesn't say something about that to make them get paid more.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 31, 2007

Here, the hours are the same for all of our elementary teachers JK-grade 8. Workload is different for different levels, not necessarily easier or harder. All of our teachers conference with their students and are equally responsible for communication with home. With lower grades, you are "on" for a greater amount of time, as pwhatley said, the older students are able to work independently for greater periods of time. With younger students you spend time preparing activities, games and centres, with older, you have a heavier marking load outside of class time. It really all comes down to where you are comfortable; there are hard-working teachers at all levels (and teachers who don't work hard at all).

6. SenoritaL

SenoritaL Rookie

May 31, 2007

Independence levels is a benefit for me working with 5th graders- they are much more independent than lower grades- yet still need guidance and structure. I really think it all comes down to each teacher's preference- I personally can't imagine teaching lower than 4th- but that's just me, there are thousands of wonderful pk-3 teachers!

No matter what the age/grade level- I think that the work/plan time you put into something has more to do with your teaching style than the grade level. Each level has different responsibilities, so it can be like comparing apples to oranges. I am a hyper organized person in terms of planning and set up, and I find that makes me more prepared and confident- where as my team-teacher is less so, yet is still highly effective.

7. Jame

Jame Comrade

May 31, 2007

This got really long...sorry!!! :sorry:

Each grade level has its own unique blend of pros and cons. It really just comes down to where a person feels they are meant to be. :angel: I have taught upper, lower, and junior high, and have liked and been frustrated with things at each level. I have really found a home in 5th-guess, that is where I am meant to be. :)

In the younger grades, you spend hours putting together activities that take them minutes to do and you have to be right with them every second of the day, but the games, songs, hugs, and the thrill of helping children discover things for the very first time is such a rush! :wow: :)

In the upper grades, you have tons of involved correcting; late work; standarized testing; important additional activities such as DARE, Jr. Achievement, Band, etc. that take away from your instructional time; different, sometimes stronger behavorial issues; sometimes more difficult parental expectations; but you also have kids who are at the perfect age to hold meaningful discussions; can work more independently; are concerned with social issues and the world around them; have great senses of humor; love activities; are enthusiastic learners; still give hugs; and think you are one of the smartest people they know. :D

As for the upper elementary needing more minutes, that might refer to the number of instructional minutes required for each level...??? I know in our state, we are required so many instructional minutes at different levels. For some reason, even though we teach the same 8-3:20 schedule as everyone else, 4th and 5th come up short in the actual no. of minutes.???? Believe me, I have never figured that one out!! We end up giving up some of our morning recesses to "make up" those missing minutes! K-3 have one set of minutes and 4-12 have another. Because 6-12 operate by 50 minute periods, they always have enough, actually more than enough minutes. Like I said, I just can't quite wrap my mind around where 4th and 5th are missing minutes!! :confused:

Anyway, maybe that is what they were referring to when they said that upper elementary taught more minutes? :) You still work the same number of minutes in a day, you just have more actual contact, instructional minutes with the kids. Don't be scared off from teaching 4th or 5th if that is where you feel you belong. I know I am biased, but I love teaching 5th grade!! :love:

8. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

May 31, 2007

Thanks for the replies! I'm still in my credential program. I've spent six months now in 3rd grade. I spoke to the principal today to find out if I might get an intern job - and she said the real need is in middle school, and upper elementary second.

My teacher told me the upper grades are released from school later (hence the 30 extra minutes per day). The extra 10 students means more papers, 10 additional p/t/c conferences.

In the end, my plan is to student teach in 5th next year (or maybe 4th for 6 months and 5th for six more), get my credential, and use that experience to get a teaching job, hopefully back at the school I'm in now.

That'll work!

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 31, 2007

At my school, Primary (k-3) gets out about 30 minutes EARLIER! I'm moving from kinder to 5th, and even though I'll be working 30 more minutes, I don't care. I'm sooooooooo exhausted from teaching kinder I need to move up. I student taught and subbed mainly in upper grade and I love those kids. Especially 5th. THey are still sweet. Kinders are sweet, but it's so tiring. Our reading coach used to teach kinder. She was fantastic but has decided that she never wants to go back to kinder. So, I guess one has to go into teaching to figure out what's best for them.

10. Jame

Jame Comrade

May 31, 2007

Peachyness, I taught K. for two years, and I know exactly how tired you feel!! I loved the kids and the excitement of being the one to help them discover things for the first time. I loved the games, the songs...I even loved Barney!! :D BUT, I was physically so exhausted by the end of the day that I could hardly walk from the car to the house at night!! One thing that I never knew before teaching Kinders was that they tap on you...all day long to get your attention. :D

When I went to 5th, it did take me a while to stop talking Kindernesse...saying things like when the big hand gets on the seven :D Just thought I would warn you!! :angel:

11. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

May 31, 2007

At my school k-5 all have the same hours. 6-8 are in school for an extra 15 minutes a day. (We're a private k-8 school) All the classes are about the same size - a maximum of 24 kids in each, although I only have 17 because most classes aren't full. I love teaching 4th grade. With the younger kids all the whining and tattling gets to me. They need so much attention from me all the time - I can't deal with that!

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 1, 2007

All of our students (grades 1-8) are in school the same length of time each day (Kindergarten is a half-time program).