More Name Change Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by uclalum, Aug 3, 2006.

1. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 3, 2006

Someone posted last week about changing their name and labeling class books. My concern is a little different.

I will be getting married this November and plan to change my last name. This year will be my first year teaching and I am also new to the school. My options are:

1.Start off the school year with my FH last name.
    2.Start off the school year with my last name and change it the second semester.
    3. Use my last name this entire first year and change it next fall.
    4. Start the year with both last names and have the kids drop one part at the start of the second semester or as they begin to do so naturally.

I am kind of leaning towards starting the school year off with his last name so that there is little confusion with staff, kids, and parents. I don't know though. Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

uclalum:)

3. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Aug 3, 2006

Well, legally it is not your new name so I am not sure that you can use it. Personally, I would just go with your maiden name and hypenate for the rest of the school year. Honestly, your kids are going to get a kick out of being able to "change" your name so it won't really matter to them. For example, my student teacher was done in my room in mid-December, got married in mid-January, and started long-term subbing in my classroom in the early part of February for my maternity leave. The kids were "cool" about the change... there was no confusion at all. She simply started going by her new name w/o the hypen or anything. The adults should get the hang of it also without too much commotion.

IMO, I would think that there would be more concern about you using the "new" name too early-- more people will be questioning that more than the new last name itself.

4. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 3, 2006

I lable my books with stickers (not my name) but all my kiddos know that my books have a certain sticker on them--- maybe that helps---

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2006

One of our teachers got married in April this year. Her students (grade 2) began using her new last name right away--they were so excited! She didn't "officially" change her name at school (in staff listings, etc), just kept her maiden name until the end of the year and she'll begin officially in September with her "new" name.

(One of our grade 7 and 8 teachers is starting her fourth year at our school and will have her third last name in September--last name of first husband, maiden name after divorce, last name of second husband).

6. Julie

Julie Rookie

Aug 3, 2006

i got married last septemeber, 1 month after school started. I told my kids in the beginning that i was getting married and they were so excited and asked so many questions that it made it even more fun. When i got back from my honeymoon they had made a banner with my new name and a new poster for the door with my new name. They handeled the switch better than i thought they would and my school changed things to my new name a little at a time. Of course, I still answered to both names for a while.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2006

Option 2 or 3 is best. You didn't say what grade you are- I think little ones would be really excited that their teacher is getting married and will look forward to using your new name (and they will forget sometime and sometimes they will call you mom....) If you have older kids they will see it as no big deal and should make the transition easily. I know you are excited to get married and use your new name but you should wait until it is 'official' before you use it. :angel:

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2006

I agree.

As long as you don't mind answering to two names for a while, it's no big deal as the kids transition. And it's another learning experience for them; I bet it opens up a discussion in class.

9. Special2Me

Special2Me Rookie

Aug 3, 2006

I'm in the same boat!!

I am also getting married this November (the 4th) and will be changing my name. I just figured that I would let them know what my new name will be at the beginning of the year and then start going by it when I return from the honeymoon. I'm practically prepared to be called just about about anything this year...I'm just going to go with the flow!

Good luck with your wedding...it's good to know someone else is in my shoes right now (planning a wedding and being teacher!)

:eek:

10. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Aug 3, 2006

When I was student teaching, the next door teacher (3rd grade) got married in October. She went by her first name at the beginning of the year, and changed it when she got back from her honeymoon. The kids all did very well with the adjustment -- it was the teachers that knew her for a while that had the hard time! :)
    Congrats on getting married!

11. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Aug 3, 2006

I would start with your current name and after you get married use your new name. The kids will be excited to use your new name when you come back. They'll get used to the change. :) For the parents, maybe you can send a newsletter or letter home before you get married to let them know of your name change. You could mention that you would be fine being called your new or old name.

As far as labeling things, I would label your books and things with your new, married name. I don't think you need to spend time relabeling things when you are getting married so soon after the beginning of the year.

Good luck with all of your planning! I'm getting married in a few weeks and I'm ready for the day to finally come. :)

12. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 3, 2006

The people who may have the biggest problem with your name change will most likely be your co-workers if you are working in a large school -- especially those of us who have trouble remembering our students', kids,... names :D .

13. Pixiewannabe

Pixiewannabe Comrade

Aug 3, 2006

I got married in December and I used my maiden name until after the honeymoon. I teach 6th grade and the kids had an easy time with the change a few still called me by my old last name but the only people that made a big deal of it were the other students.

14. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 3, 2006

A teacher at my school wanted to do option #1, but the administration thought that it was unprofessional so she went by her maiden name until after returning from her honeymoon. The kids didn't have any problem with her name changing. She was a new teacher so it wasn't too hard to switch gears with her last name.

15. mrsnoble116

mrsnoble116 Companion

Aug 3, 2006

I did #3. Is it really that important for them to switch calling you a name because you got married. For us, I got married after Katrina hit and our school already went through a bunch of teacher changes, so as to not confuse the parents, I stayed with my maiden name.

As for books, I have a stamp with Property of Mrs. Noble and I stamp all of them.

16. k.contreras

k.contreras Companion

Aug 3, 2006

I got married in the middle of the school year my first year of teaching also. I kept my maiden name the entire year. Some kids were aware that my name changed because I got married but I didn't make them call me by it.

Even now, the kids that I had that year still call me by my maiden name. I don't have a problem with it.

I did however, use my husband's last name to start labeling my things.

17. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 4, 2006

Thanks for all of the advice!
    By the way, I will be teaching fifth grade. I am new at the schooland we have about 700 students and about 30 teachers.
    Congrats and good luck to Special2Me and WIteach!

I still don't know which option I will choose but I have decided to eliminate option 1. You all are right...I should wait until it's official to use his last name.

For those of you who got married during your first year of teaching, did it test your marraige? I am worried that I will spend too much time away from home. Even as an intersession teacher, I spent so much time afterschool. People had to kick me out of the building because I would stay so late afterschool organizing and preparing.

18. k.contreras

k.contreras Companion

Aug 4, 2006

It was good getting married my first year of teaching. My advice to you is don't take home any work; try to get most of your work done at school so you can spend time with your husband if you are going to be spending time at school a lot.