More learning!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by monsieurteacher, Apr 21, 2009.

1. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Apr 21, 2009

So a lot of the teachers I work with have been upgrading their certification over the last year or so through courses from the University of Phoenix. I'm a fairly new teacher (second year) so I figured I'd wait a little while and get some more experience under my belt.

Well, I decided to look into the possibilities, and then I decided to get my feet wet. I'm starting a course next week! I don't have the money to be able to do the ten courses in order to upgrade my certification, but I figure I will work towards them slowly. An added bonus is that it's one more course that I will be able to add to my resume when I go looking for a teaching job next year (assuming my current job is eliminated).

I'm really excited to learn again! The course I'm taking is in Diagnosis and Remediation of Reading Difficulties, and I'm printing the textbook off now.

3. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Apr 22, 2009

I'm curious as to how you end up liking the course! I want to do some ESL coursework through them, but some of it's really expensive.

4. monsieurteacher

Apr 22, 2009

I'll try to keep you posted. There are five teachers at my school that have taken this course in the past year or so. One sent me one of the assignments they did just as a sample. (Gives me an idea of what will be expected... obviously I'm not planning on plagiarizing anything!)

It's a little overwhelming looking at the big project, but I think I can manage it once I have a little more background. It involves coming up with a remediation plan for students that have difficulty with reading.

5. monsieurteacher

May 17, 2009

Well, I'm done. I would highly recommend courses through UOP if your district allows it for certification purposes. I learned a whole lot, but at the same time, it was not overwhelming at all (once I got into it.)