more LA center questions

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by HeatherY, Oct 5, 2009.

1. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Oct 5, 2009

Our grade level team wants to create activities that the kids will do every week either with the basal or a novel study. Something the kids can do with little or no help as the teacher does guided reading small groups. We have a few already: dictionary digger - looking up vocab, writing the definition, use it in a sentence, draw a picture; quote finder - find a quote that is meaningful to you, write a response and draw a picture. I am trying to come up with a generic summary form too because they need help with that. Or maybe beginning, middle, end type thing.

Anyway, do you use anything consistently that seems to work well? Would you share?

3. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Oct 5, 2009

I looked through some sites and I think I should clarify. I don't want to do "centers" per say, more like 3 main activities that will be routine each week for skill building that students are accountable for completing. Not necessarily a "center."

4. jenejoy

jenejoy Companion

Oct 12, 2009

I do Must Do/May Do. I teach my expectations for independent reading, partner reading, listening to reading, working on writing, and Word Work. Then I assign must do's throughout the week. I have it set up to begin after my writing lesson in order to give more time for writing completion (work on writing). Then they are typically assigned either independent reading and need to fill out a summary of story sheet that I use once a week or partner read for fluency. Then at the end the partner will time for 1 min and they will graph their fluency rate. I also put any unfinished assignments into must dos so that they have time to finish them. If there are individuals who have not finished an assignment that the majority of the class has finished they go into a work in progress folder.

5. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Oct 14, 2009

I wish I had read this last week! That is along the lines of what I want to do! My grade level sat down and I couldn't get them on the same page with me. We are going to try literature circles instead. (Our grade level works together on curriculum).

Do you do this with guided reading? Books or basals? Is that what the independent work is for? To give some time for you to work with individuals or small groups? Also, how do they graph each other's fluency? Do you teach them running records? Do you have a form for it that they use?

6. MsR

MsR Rookie

Oct 17, 2009

I usually do a variety of centers throughout the week while I do small guided reading groups. I always have a listening center where students are able to hear and follow along in the book. This usually takes a few days to finish because I switch the students every fifteen minutes to keep their attention. At another station I have file folder games which reinforce already taught skills such as homophones, synonyms, etc. I got a file folder games book from Scholastic that is pretty good. I also like to have the students write their spelling words in sentences, cursive and in pyramids. Some days, I even put them on computers to teach them basic typing skills so they are given a little practice. I hope this helps!

7. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Oct 19, 2009

So do you assign the work at the beginning of the week, or daily? And you have some kids in centers tat rotate every 15 minutes, while other kids are independent or partner reading?