more Handwriting W/O Tears info needed.

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by maggie123, Aug 5, 2012.

1. maggie123

maggie123 Rookie

Aug 5, 2012

I don't want to spend more than I need to.
    Are the flip crayons valuable to have, or can I do w/o them?

Are groups of 6 students doable, or do you recommend smaller groups? I should have 1 of everything for each child in the group?

Do you have all the groups working at once, and just rotate them through the various activities, or do you do one activity a day? Does the TE give recommendations for this? What do you find works best?

Thank you for your assistance.

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2012

WE have the flip crayons at school and while they're nice, they're not necessary. I would think smaller pieces of regular crayola crayons would do the same thing. Of course, that's just my opinion.

In working with K's, we have groups of 6 and it works well. I keep it no longer than 15 minutes at a time for our K's and again it works fine.

4. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

Aug 5, 2012

I think groups of 6 are very workable. I really like the flip crayons but you could just break all your crayons in half.

I followed the pacing guide at the book of the manual fairly closely. When building the letters I did that that in split groups (My aid took half the class-8 and did roll a dough letters, and I kept the other half and did the wood pieces.) We did the work books the same way (1/2 the kiddos did work books half did the the magnet letters). We only had 4 days so this worked well for us. I did many of the songs and games in whole group. If there was a game I wanted to review the kids would do that instead of the magnet letters.

5. TerriInCa

TerriInCa Companion

Aug 5, 2012

The flip crayons are just an extra way for them to make money. They are really neat looking and fun, but so not necessary.

groups of 6 are fine.

The TE gives a possible pacing guide but you don't have to do it in that order if you have to follow another curriculum for letter introduction.

6. mrs_sarahscott

mrs_sarahscott Rookie

Aug 7, 2012

I love this board. I saw this thread a couple of days ago and thought it was interesting. Then, on the way into my classroom this morning, I nearly tripped over a box by the school's office addressed to the new kindergarten teacher. The sender? Handwriting Without Tears. I've scheduled a meeting with the teacher (she just moved to San Diego and has taught K and 1st elsewhere) to tell me all about it and show me the materials.

Thank you, maggie123, for the heads up.

:) Sarah