More financial woes...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Teaching Grace, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2010

I wish this would just end! My husband just got what may be his last unemployment checks. It just stresses me out so much! He needs to get some sort of a job but doesn't know what he wants to do except that he doesn't want to go back to construction. We looked at surviving on just my pay check but we'd be several hundred dollars short every month! I just wish it would all be solved so that I could stop worrying about money! We have cut out everything possible and have been selling things as much as possible. The only reason I got to go back to school shopping was because I asked my Dad for an "early Christmas present". I'm hoping things get better soon! It's been this way since November...

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2010

What sort of education does your husband have?

Would he be willing to work with a home improvement company-- doing home repairs and stuff?

Would he be willing to try retail?

4. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jul 9, 2010

I hope your husband finds a job soon so that your stress level will be lower. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 9, 2010

My goodness, I surely hope things improve. I TOTALLY agree w/ summerfan (oh I see she edited her post). Times like these are not the times to be picky. If construction's all he can do right now, he should want to get in there & learn to like it.
    In the meantime, while he's trying to figure out what to do, can he do something to make quick money & when I say that of course, I mean something legit. I was going to suggest a yeard sale, but I see you stated that you'e selling everything you can.

Can he get any kind of job in the meantime just so you guys can have a little more money coming in? (Retail, hotel, post office, etc.)

What kind of dwelling do you live in? Do you think you'll have to resort to selling your house or getting a cheapr apt? Can you guys move in w/ one of your parents until things get better?

6. gigi

gigi Groupie

Jul 9, 2010

Construction may not be much of an option at this point as here in NH it has bottomed out. However, with his background he should check the home improvement stores, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. I know what stress you are under having gone through it, I am thinking of you.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2010

EXCELLENT suggestion gigi!!!

8. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2010

One business that is booming around here is home repairs...handyman services, appliance repairs, etc. In this economy, when people used to just replace things, they now are having them repaired if the cost is lower. Sort of related to construction, but not exactly the same? Maybe that would pique his interest.

9. newbeeteacher

newbeeteacher Rookie

Jul 9, 2010

Or if he can do small handy man jobs, he can post a handyman ad on craigslist or freecycle or some other community board. That was how I hired a man to come install my cat door for me. :)

Good luck!

10. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jul 9, 2010

I know Handymen are in big demand around here. Hey, even small jobs like changing a light fixture or a vanity mirror could help and could add up to a decent income. Good luck!!

11. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2010

Thank you all for the support! We are definitely working through it all. It would be better if we didn't have the two kids (not that I could imagine life without them! Anything that he gets has to be able to cover daycare plus living expenses or he has to do something that's the graveyard shift so I can be home while he's not.

12. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 9, 2010

I have a former co-worker who does graveyard shift at Home Depot. It's not a 24 hour one so I guess it's stocking stuff. Anyway it allows her to work while her daughter sleeps at hr parent's house. So it might well be worth it for him to check out Home depot or Lowes for a graveyard or evening shift job.

13. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 9, 2010

My daughter works at a department store. Apply at all of them, as they stock overnight. Her place of business is desperate for good employees. If you are on unemployment and/or food stamps, be sure to let the place you apply know, as they get tax credits for hiring you.