MORE bathroom problems. I am desperate for insight!!!

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by PEteacher07, Oct 9, 2007.

1. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

Oct 9, 2007

okay, so in the elementary threads i mentioned the bathroom problems in our gym. the problem has since gotten worse!!! and its my 2nd graders!

day before last we had a boy wet his pants and the reason why is he was farting around during the activities and talking to the other coach and he never asked though he was 10 feet away from the bathroom. at the end of the class when they are not allowed to use the restroom b/c we are walking out the door and don't have time, he asked to go. the coach said "no we don't have time." if he had said "its an emergency," we would have let him go though it was his fault for messing around. but he didn't protest.

last week we had a 2nd grader wet her pants b/c she never asked us to go, and then today she threw up in the bathroom all over the walls, said that she sat in the vomit, and stunk up the whole gym. she told my assistant that when it comes to potty issues, she just doesn't feel it. she has had accidents in the classroom too.

i talked to one of the classroom teachers about what has happened, she said last week a 2nd grader asked to go and she let her go. 5 minutes later, the little girl wet her pants which makes it apparent that she did not use the restroom when she asked to go.

what the heck is going on?!?!?!?!?

EDIT: today we had a 3rd grader wet his pants. he never asked to go to the restroom. :eek:

3. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Oct 11, 2007

That's kind of outlandish. Is every year like this? Did this happen with these second and third graders last year when they were in first and second?

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 11, 2007

Sounds like something is going on IN the bathroom they want to avoid?

5. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

Oct 12, 2007

no it has NEVER been a problem and that is why i am so puzzled!!

what do you mean??

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 14, 2007

hmmm- I've heard:

Throwing wet paper towels around

Jumping up on stall walls to look over at others- invading privacy

Wet soapy messes on floor

Feces on wall

Urine on floor

NOISE

all kinds of fooling around

bullying

7. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

Oct 14, 2007

that's a thought. i never looked they way you have stated where there could be things going on in the restroom that they don't want to be around b/c they know it's bad or they are scared they could get in trouble. i guess i figured if there was something going on that someone would have spoken up??

8. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 14, 2007

It is a rule in my school that teachers bring their students to the restroom before Specials...

9. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Oct 14, 2007

It could be that the kids are too embarrased to go up and have to "ask you" to go to the bathroom. I was a scaredy cat all the way up through 7th grade! That may be the problem. Have a "pass" that the kids take (maybe sticks with their names on them in a can) and you don't even have to worry about it and they can go without calling attention to themselves. Some kids are just scared to "ask". :mellow: