More BAD News for teachers

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by SCTeachInTX, Jan 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jan 29, 2011

I guess I always thought going into teaching that I would be in the "safe" profession. I mean after all, someone is always retiring, going on to a bigger, better job, staying home with their baby, or just wanting a change from teaching in the classroom to maybe administration. But, I guess I was wrong. Even in seemingly recession proof Texas we are facing some really tough times. We met as a faculty on Friday and our principal told us that things are more dire than our district once thought. There will be many changes, higher class sizes, instructional coaches switched to classroom teachers, and newly hired teachers will have little control of the campus that they will end up on iF they have positions at all. For those teachers that are on improvement plans because of a variety of reasons... classroom management, instructional deficits, etc., they probably will not have a job at all. Right now they are saying that everyone will have a job unless there is a need for termination. Ummmm... What does that mean? :(

I am not concerned about my job, but I look at our hopeful student teachers and wonder what they are thinking and feeling. I still believe that there will be some opportunities for new teachers. There is always turn over and one of my teaching friends is talking about changing careers because the teaching profession is so demanding of her personal life. It has really affected her relationship with her husband and she does not feel like a good mother because she constantly takes work home and puts her family on the back burner instead of making them a priority. With all the demands from special needs students, keeping documentation on struggling students, and trying to get your whole class not only to pass our state test but to get commended on our state test, it takes a toll on your personal life. :eek:hmy:

I guess because Texas seemed fairly untouched by all the drama that has faced the rest of the world, I was shocked that we are facing such dire times in our near future. I guess we all need to get vocal and tell our legislators that education must be a priority. But honestly, I feel so beat down from our cheery Friday afternoon "good news-bad news" speech that I am feeling too overwhelmed to do anything other than reel in the news.:confused:

3. DaveG

DaveG Companion

Jan 29, 2011

While I understand the situation right now in many school districts is a difficult one, the public education sector has been shielded from it for a long time and there is a tendency to over-react.

All that has happened is public education has now become subject to the same ebbs and flows of budget constraints, employment needs, downsizing etc that the private sector has faced for decades past.

4. Emmy

Emmy Companion

Jan 29, 2011

I really hate the economy for teachers in Texas right now. I am not in a position to move out of state, so Texas is my home. When I started college (2002) the outlook for teaching jobs looked good. But when I graduated about 2 years ago was when the economy was getting really bad. It was a very depressing time to graduate.

5. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jan 29, 2011

I've never understood how people think that upping class sizes is the "fix". And yes, I agree, teaching DOES take a toll on your personal life. Never put it in those words but those are words I will certainly be using if I need to.

6. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jan 29, 2011

This is not just a Texas phenomenon. Here in CA, basically the other shoe is supposed to drop, but like anything else... the powers that be (gov't, teachers union), manipulate the system & their constituents--and push back the impending rainy day, making it that much worse when it does actually have to come down. We're probably in worse shape than TX.

And you're right. The people who are screwed as bad as anyone in this whole ordeal are teachers "new" to the field. (I type new in quotes because there are A LOT of us who aren't new like fresh out of college.) When layoffs occur, those laid-off people get priority when jobs come available. So new people are really hopeless.

We have a situation here in CA where public schools stand to face yet ANOTHER round of budget cuts. The new Governer has proposed an extension of a tax, that will spare education of these cuts this year. In other words, the people of the State must bear the burden of an additional tax, or else it's their fault when education fails. That's probably going to be the company line.

The problem is of course, that we are already taxed enough. The people shouldn't have to pay MORE. Especially considering that they are already "paying" education in a way, by simply tolerating a lower quality of their children's education that is being provided... by overcrowding classrooms, lessening support staff/services, all at the expense of maintaining teacher salaries.

So in my state, "supporting education" would mean a Yes vote in terms of this tax hike... which I strongly OPPOSE. A Yes vote does nothing for me, or people like me. All it would do is to allow a select group (tenured teachers) to continue to get their job/income for another year. It does NOTHING for those at the bottom (subs, support staff, new teachers).

7. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jan 29, 2011

John Lee, I got a phone survey from the CTA that was obviously skewed toward support of the tax extension. They got an earful...in the most polite terms, of course. :D

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack.

8. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jan 29, 2011

Shocking times... If only "they" knew how much blood, sweat, and tears go into our jobs. The para that works tirelessly to help our struggling learners and special needs kids. The new teacher fresh out of college full of ideals and just dying to make a difference. The tenured teacher who works long days filled by longer nights and wakes up in the early morning to help students become the best that they can be. We are all in this together. We just need to stand a little straighter, walk a little taller, and when an opportunity happens to make your mark... be prepared to be such a force that no one can imagine YOU not being there the following year. There will be some openings. There will be solutions. Teachers are a tough lot. We will weather this. We have to.

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 29, 2011

This is not a new crisis, but the same thing we have been dealing with for awhile now. I am sorry that Texas is now being affected by it as well. Unfortunately, in a time of economic crisis, everyone suffers. I think the best thing we can do right now is be innovative,use the resources we have effectively, and just do the best with what we have.

10. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jan 29, 2011

Haha... at a girl :thumb:

11. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 29, 2011

I would be surprised if there were any school system not feeling the pinch right now. Everything from sub budgets to text books, to materials for the room are being cut. Meetings, workshops, etc that we used to be at least paid travel on are becoming volunteer opportunities because they can't pay. Our principal always tells us that the public and government keeps asking us to do more with less, and the less gets smaller every year. (Unfortunately, the more gets larger at the same time.) I'll be honest, when I was working full-time to pay for college (and still paying student loan now) I never dreamed that 15 years down the line I would still be struggling this much with $. But, the simple fact is, I love my job and as long as I can afford my bills, I will keep doing my best to make sure that my students don't feel the pinch.

12. Julie9789

Julie9789 Companion

Jan 30, 2011

Here in Maryland it's just as tough. My university is one that turns out teachers that are favored over many of the other colleges in the state. That's why I chose that school. We had 55 people in our graduating class, 15 had jobs by the first day of school, maybe an additional 5, tops, got jobs within the first few weeks of school.

I am one of the unlucky ones that after over 30 applications in states up and down the east coast and across the midwest.

There's been talk of more hiring freezes in many of the counties in the area. They're cutting programs left and right and eliminating many positions. Many of my classmates have decided that this year is the last year they'll attempt a position. If they have no luck, then they're switching fields because they can't put off their student loans forever - similar to myself. There's only so many semesters of 6-10 credits I can take before I'll have taken them all :\

13. Steph430

Steph430 Rookie

Jan 30, 2011

Do you think that supplemental certifications, i.e. esl or special ed, make a difference in your hiring desirability?

14. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 30, 2011

I think that the more certifications or endorsements that you can add do make it more likely to get that interview...but you really have to want to teach these populations or classes in order to truly secure the job.

15. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jan 30, 2011

Our superintendent gave us the same kind of speech, SCTeach, last week. He said that the best case scenario has us losing $34 million over 2 years, but the worst case has us at almost double that loss! We've canceled our job fair, we're raising class sizes, and then... we'll probably have to lay off some teachers. In all of my years teaching in Texas, I've never known it to be nearly impossible to get a teaching job... especially in Houston. That's not the case now.

As for the endorsement question, in our area, the only one that really sets you apart is if you have bilingual certification.

16. Steph430

Steph430 Rookie

Jan 30, 2011

So....should I even bother sending apps to the area? My husband and I really want to move to the area, but I'm terrified about, again, not finding a job. This is my 2nd straight year of not being a classroom teacher, and I'm dying here!

17. Ruby2011MA

Ruby2011MA Rookie

Jan 30, 2011

Steph430 - Unless you are HS Math, Science, Bilingual or ASL, it might not be worth a try.

18. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jan 30, 2011

I was told the job situation was horrible here two years ago... And, I was offered several positions. So, I know things are worse this year... but go ahead and apply. You may have just the edge that gets a second look. There is nothing wrong with trying. And you just never know. You could be one of the lucky ones.

19. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jan 30, 2011

I think it's *always* worth a try! What's your other option? You have to try!

20. Emmy

Emmy Companion

Jan 30, 2011

The school district I student taught in (low income with many ESL students) prefers candidates to have your ESL certification and they state that they prefer ESL candidates in their job postings. You don't have to have ESL when being hired, but you have 2 years from being hired to get it. So I definitely see it as a plus to have ESL. I'm taking the ESL test in about a month.

21. Steph430

Steph430 Rookie

Jan 30, 2011

Thanks guys, for the pep talk! It's so hard to be optimistic when you hear how bad things are...I work in MD right now as a para, and our principal gave us the same "rousing" speech 2 weeks ago. My husband and I love Texas, so that's where we want to be! I'll just give it my all and hope something happens. There have got to be some positions open, and they have to hire someone!! :)

22. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Jan 30, 2011

Steph430 - Anything is possible. I was hired in Texas as an ACP with no experience in October. I just kept the hope and kept trying!!! I am worried about next year (low man on the totem pole and everything) but I won't stress until I have been told to stress!

23. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 31, 2011

My former district gave the same speech a few weeks ago. I have never heard of districts in TX having to lay off people. It is scary. I was just hired in Nov for my position. The only upside is I'm the only one in my position, but they could always decide to cut back. I'm in a very small school that is losing half a million next year.

24. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Feb 3, 2011

As a current student teacher, all of this bad news is pretty terrifying. A few weeks ago the district I'm student teaching in said that they're not having a job fair this year. Every teacher I've talked to has said that it's going to be incredibly hard to compete against more experienced teachers. The fact that my mentor and I are having issues makes me worry about my chances of actually finding a job for next year.

25. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Feb 3, 2011

Dear Gutterbslljen- Whatever you need to do to make things work right now... do it. You need to make sure that you come out of your student teaching experience with a glowing recommendation. You will need that to move forward in any market. But in this current market, it is imperative. Stay late - come early - agree with anything even if you want to do things differently. One day you will have your own class and you can do things there the way you want to. :rolleyes:

26. Ruby2011MA

Ruby2011MA Rookie

Feb 3, 2011

It's important to work up the other qualities that you have that may work to your benefit. For example, some of the older teachers tend to be stuck in their ways, the less experienced can bring fresh ideas. Also, be able to explain the non-education job skills you learned and how that benefits you. Some teachers have only been teachers and lack some skills that one gains in other jobs. Like customer service skills, be able to walk in and tell the principal how you can handle your customers (aka, parents... it's an odd way to think of things but they are our customers and provide the service of teaching their kids).

I think if districts are hiring, they may be looking at new teachers more then we think. They can get five fresh new teachers for the cost of four experienced teacher (give or take). With the budget cuts and with the growth of the state... I think that it may be an even "battle field".

27. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Feb 3, 2011

I've been on our hiring committee at our school for the past few years and we've hired many more brand-new teachers than experienced ones. Often when we ask a question about their philosophy-how they challenge kids, etc.-the experienced teachers answers don't jive with what we're trying to do. As Ruby said, you can mold a new teacher toward your school's goals. Plus they are usually very enthusiastic and excited to get in the classroom.

I truly believe even with budget cuts and higher class size, schools will still need teachers. There are several leaving our campus this year-they aren't just going to close those classrooms. Don't lose hope yet! :)

28. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Feb 3, 2011

With no in class experience, you also may have the advantage of more recent professional development. You may be more well-versed in current best practices than more experienced teachers.

You also have the advantage right now of reading, reading, reading. Be current on what is trending from currciular practices and programs that are popular in your area to the demographics you will be teaching. To be honest, even though I graduated 3 years ago, I am starting to feel out of date and am trying desperately to find the time to brush up.

Because you are presumably younger (or at least have been enrolled in college recently), you may know more about technology than more experienced teachers. I know a lot about the technology that I have available to me (which for the district is quite a bit) but most of the times colleges offer a bit more broad perspective on what is available and how to incorporate it.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is, there are benefits and disadvantages to both sides but you need to play up what you have to offer.

29. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Feb 3, 2011

Guys... I am not sure about the districts that you have been applying to but my district is very BIG on professional development. It is not an option to be cutting edge. It is a mandate. Teachers are given professional development throughout the school year - after school, teacher inservice days, and even during the school day. There is also a mandate that teachers must have certain technology skills each year added to what they already know. After all, the district has invested so much time and energy on technology, it would be foolhardy not to invest in the training to make it useable for everyone even veteran teachers. There will be experienced teachers as well as new teachers looking for jobs. Experience speaks for a lot when you have a child with giftedness, bilingual speaker, special education children with IEPs and accommodations.

A few years ago I was one of those experienced teachers that had to look for a new position in a new state. I was lucky enough to get several job offers in my area of certification - ECE. I did not even have a Texas certificate yet, but I did have cutting edge technology skills, tons of professional development, and experience. I think we should look at the bigger picture and SUPPORT one another. When you hear of a position - ANY position - pass the word. I have done that since I was lucky enough to land a job in a new state. I call that giving back. I have helped a few new teachers find positions and given some advice to seasoned teachers. We all have something to offer. I certainly would not go in with guns blazing saying that you have more to offer because of your recent status of graduate. Especially when the persons hiring will more than likely have some experience and may not like that attitude. Walk the line of .... "This is what I have to offer; this is how I can adapt to meet your needs in this faculty; These are my skills in working with children, parents, and coworkers, and these are the professional experiences that I currently have... and what I do not know... I am willing to make the extra effort by staying late and coming in early to learn."

That is the kind of positivity that gets you noticed and hired whether you are fresh out of college or a seasoned teacher.

30. Ruby2011MA

Ruby2011MA Rookie

Feb 3, 2011

I don't think anyone was saying that "new teachers were better". We were just trying to reassure gutterballjen that new teachers are not out of luck with the tight hiring for next year.

31. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Feb 4, 2011

Hi Ruby- Thanks for the comment. I understand that we should support our new teachers. I also would like to support the hundreds of experienced teachers that will be displaced. As a teacher with experience being in that same situation a few years ago, it was daunting. I was so afraid that I may be too "expensive" for school districts to want to hire. I stressed myself out thinking about it day and night. My message was for both groups. Support one another. Help each other. You each have something going for you. Go back and read my message. I was not putting anyone down. It has been my charge for the past 2 years to help others find jobs. I have been on countless interview teams both in my new state and in the past. In tough times people tend to "look out for themselves" and I would like to see support and collaboration so that we can all benefit. Make sense?

32. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Feb 4, 2011

Do you think ANY new teachers will be hired in Texas this year? This is my third hiring season since I decided to return to teaching, and I feel more hopeless than ever. I live in north Texas near some of the more affluent districts, and even here I'm not sure I have a chance. I hate feeling this way, but I feel like my dream is being choked. :(

My wife and I had talked about me working as a sub in the 2011-2012 school year if I don't get hired, so that maybe at least I can get my foot in the door. Now I'm not even sure that is advisable.

My Sunday School teacher is school board member and I am considering talking to him about what he thinks about the coming year as far as new hires go. I've never talked to him before because I don't want to come across as seeming to think that he will give me a job. And I still don't feel that way. I just want to know if I have a chance.

33. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Feb 4, 2011

Hi Penguin, There will def be job openings next year. Yes, it will be a little lean but there are several schools opening in the North Texas area next year. PM me and we can talk. And BTW- TALK to anyone that might be able to help. In these lean times, we could all use a helping hand. You might be surprised how helpful that connection could be. I say use any connection including getting valuable experience as a sub as a way to get your foot in the door. My school DOES hire competent subs that go above and beyond. There will be people transferring, leaving for maternity leaves, retiring, and just making career changes. So, whatever it takes BE the ONE that they think of whenever that position comes available. Sometimes it just takes being in the right place at the right time and knowing some of the right people helps too.

34. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 4, 2011

I would also advise talking to the school board member that you know. You don't have to ask for a job, just let them know you are looking and get their advice.

35. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Feb 4, 2011

Yeah I teach in a fabulous, big district and we have been informed that any vacated positions would NOT be filled and that will cause us to have larger class sizes. We are in a hiring freeze.

Scary times!

oh and I am in North Texas. Plano and Dallas are actually laying off.:eek:hmy:

36. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Feb 4, 2011

Oh and I know others will be unhappy with me saying this. I really am not trying to scare anyone, but as a realist I like to be prepared for what's coming.

I would tell new teachers and experienced teachers looking for work - YES go after it like you have nothing to lose - give it your all. However, please know as someone who has friends that are in higher admin - Panic is the word for school districts in Texas. This is a time of which I have NEVER known. Teachers in Texas have ALWAYS been able to compete and find jobs - and they are going away. When some of the best school district in our state are issuing indefinite hiring freezes......scary.....
    My district has already told us to be prepared to do the extra work from people who will no longer be with us. It is here. Yes we will make it - somehow. But please don't mislead people and give false hope.

If I were a new teacher or an experience teacher needing a job - Absolutely I would be searching and trying to keep my head up. But I personally would also be looking in different fields as well. Education is no longer a "safe haven".

37. Ruby2011MA

Ruby2011MA Rookie

Feb 4, 2011

The DFW area is projected to double in size in the next 10 years. They will have to hire teachers... maybe not be next year, but there will be jobs out there. Be prepared to have a back up job for the next year or two and try to work your way into the districts... if you want or can get certified in the high demand areas. There is still a high need for HS Science and Math teachers. A friend of mine just got hired on as a HS science teacher this semester, after she signed her contract she had 6 calls in two days for interviews. If you know ASL, get certified in that... the deaf schools are always hiring (that is if you want to do that).

With that said I have a list of about 22 teaching job fairs for the state of Texas. If you want it, PM me. It may be a few days before I can get it to you, I have been working on a clean on my computer so things are a mess with my files. haha early spring cleaning..

38. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Feb 4, 2011

My district is still listed on the list for the NCTASPA (the big North Texas job fair) even though we have been informed no emptied position will be filled. Other districts that are facing layoffs and hiring freezes are still listed as well. Just something to keep in mind. Good luck to everyone! Too bad we suffer because of the super majority in Austin. ;0(

39. Ruby2011MA

Ruby2011MA Rookie

Feb 4, 2011

I have been told that many are still planning to attend the NCTASPA despite the current situation. Districts do not know what will happen between the fair and next school year, nor do they know if they will be able to let is slide with ratio changes with the law not changed yet (that was told to me by a principal).

Districts will show there face (truthfully it looks bad if they do not show up to the big one). They may only interview certain certifications or just take resumes like many of them did last year. I think last year the only one that said "we are hiring all certifications" was _(Idk if I can name the ISDs here)_ and that was because they opened 6 schools last year. I know there are a few districts with new schools coming. They may not be there with the intentions of hiring, but they will be there for face.

I am going to a seminar in 6 weeks on education jobs. I have been to a few of them before and they are usually ran by different ISD HR people. I will let you guys know what I hear.

40. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 4, 2011

I will say, again, that very close to Texas in north Louisiana we have a teacher shortage. The pay is not as good, but it's good for our cost of living here, and about a 3 hour drive from Dallas. Districts at this point in the year have up to 50 positions that currently need certified teachers.

41. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Feb 5, 2011

There are also several new schools opening in the North Texas area. They will fill many of those with current staff and WILL up the number of pupils in a class. But to say they will not hire anyone is false. They will have to do some hiring even on the leanest of years. Be prepared. Be the ONE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.