More Baby (and some Mommy) Prayers, Please

Discussion in 'Prayer Request Forum' started by Starista, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Sep 14, 2010

Good Morning,

I am a bit over 17 weeks today.

I spent 95% of the weekend in tears. Being off of my antidepressant is more challenging that I had ever, ever imagined. Doesn't help that I am at a new school with a new grade level this year.

I am letting things upset and bother me that remind me of my first years teaching.

I saw the OB yesterday and after we heard Baby's little heart (153!) I broke down about the depression.

He listened so kindly... So well... And told me that while he's talking to me as his patient, he's also talking to me like his sister... and that I need to start my medicine again. He went on about how the benefits to me will outweigh the potential risks to Baby... but I still feel so much guilt.

I prayed so hard last night for God to please spare any harm to my Baby and never let him/her know about Mommy's "selfish" act of needing her medicine to work, cope, thrive.

Now for Baby prayers... We find out the results of his/her "triple screen" test. These are the tests that screen for chromosomal issues such as Downs Syndrome and any of the Trisomys, etc. I find out sometime this week if Baby is at risk of any of these.

I am lifting Baby up in prayer that she or he is well and growing strong. And asking God to help me resist the urge to peek at my cell phone 892x a day in my desk drawer. Might even leave it in the car.

Thank you, dear friends, for the prayers. :hugs:

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 14, 2010

Many prayers and many hugs, Starista!

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 14, 2010

You're in my prayers too.

Listen to your OB. It sounds like you have a good one.

During the course of your child's life you'll make so many millions of decisions, all in his or her best interests. It sounds like this is the first.

Your baby needs and deserves a mom who is free (or free-er) from the kinds of issues you describe.

The odds are overwhelming that your baby is fine. If, somehow, God has other plans than you do, then your baby will need a mom who is at her best.

Listen to your OB. If necessary, speak to your doctor about meds that are minimally harmful.

But you know the speech when the oxygen masks pop down on a plane. You put your own on first. You can't help anyone else if you can't breathe.

Best wishes.

5. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Sep 14, 2010

I will continue to pray for you, and your little blessing.

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2010

Prayers to you & your baby.
    Agree with Alice.. your ob sounds great. I know having one can mean the world.

7. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 14, 2010

Prayers and hugs.

Stop for a minute and think of the risks of NOT taking the meds...

When you're depressed, you don't eat well and you don't exercise. These two things can be detrimental to your baby.

Depression and stress can also change your body chemistry, which has an effect on your developing baby. Babies of depressed mothers are often fussier, more prone to colic, and harder to calm.

You can begin to resent your baby, as you struggle to manage without the meds. This can lead to other, potentially life long issues. I don't want to go into details, but lets just say I've had some first hand experience with this.

Now, weigh that against the risks of the meds. The truth is, we don't know what the risks are. There have been no formal studies, because researching meds in pregnant women is deemed in appropriate. We only have theories and some observational studies done after the babies were born. I read some of the recent ones, and must say they're badly done by people with an agenda...and that agenda was NOT the truth.

While there may be risks associated with the meds, as you can see, there are also risks in NOT taking them. The decision your OB came to was that the risks of not taking them, for both you and your baby, outweighed any risk of taking them. This is okay.

Like Alice said, this will be the first in a long long like of tough decisions you will have to make as a parent. While you might feel like you're putting your needs before your child's needs, you're really not, because by taking care of yourself, you are able to take care of your baby.

Many hugs :)

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 14, 2010

Bless you and your baby. Take care of yourself, Star, so you can be the best mother you can be.

9. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 14, 2010

Sweetheart, you are not selfish for taking care of yourself. The medicine in the long run is just as much for the baby as you. If you are depressed, you can not take care of yourself, much less a baby. Go get a pedi, pick up a funny movie, pop some popcorn, turn the lights down low, fill the living room floor full of pillows and cuddle with your significant other. Enjoy this time. Find pleasures in the little things. Get a journal and write one thing a day that you enjoyed. I know it sounds crazy, but soon you will be able to write more. I have you in my prayers. If you need a friend, email me. I will give you my number so we can talk. I have been there and understand.

10. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Sep 14, 2010

I took anti-depressants through all 3 pregnancies and had no problems at all. I will be praying for you and your little one.

11. Starista

Starista Cohort

Sep 14, 2010

Update.

Perinatal Nurse called when the kids were at PE...!

All of the genetic tests came back negative for any abnormalities. :)

She said I do not need further screenings like an amniocentesis or a CVS test.

Thank you all SO much for praying so hard for me.

These little "triumphs" mean the world to me. :love:

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 14, 2010

What great news!

13. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Sep 14, 2010

I was thinking of you and praying for you at our school mass today. I am so glad that you got such great news.

14. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Sep 14, 2010

:hugs::hugs::hugs:

15. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2010

You and your baby are in my prayers.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 14, 2010

Thank God!

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 14, 2010

Oh Starista, I'm so very happy!

18. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 14, 2010

So happy for you. Are you going to find out if you are having a boy or a girl? Or waiting for it to be a surprise?

19. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 14, 2010

Great News!

20. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2010

Oh hugs to you!!! Doing a little "happy" dance for ya!!!

21. see2gee

see2gee Rookie

Sep 14, 2010

Wonderful update!

22. Starista

Starista Cohort

Sep 15, 2010

Good Morning!

I woke up so hopeful and happy today!

Yes, we find out the baby's gender on Sept. 27th. We are excited. My husband and I both think we're having a baby boy, but we'll see...!