Morals

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Grammy Teacher, Mar 21, 2007.

1. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Mar 23, 2007

Again, I was not saying anything one way or another about anyone's religious beliefs. I was simply stating why I exhibit the morals I do. I would agree with both hanvan and Upsadaisy that morals have little to do with religion.

I don't know that anyone was trying to debate but merely stating our opinions to the original poster's question. Hopefully we have answered it as best we could.

2. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Mar 24, 2007

OK, Daisy, I agree. Like I said, morals aren't necessarily religious in nature.

So, back to the question of morality. Morality is a code of conduct. To me, the best impact I can have, morally speaking, is to reduce, eliminate, or at least not cause, the suffering of others. My wants, needs, desires, and the fulfillment of those must not cause suffering for another.

This is humanly impossible to adhere to all the time, but it is an effort I make. Sometimes I buy the inexpensive coffee from Trader Joe's even though I may be profiting off the suffering of a farmer who doesn't get paid enough, or uses pesticides that pollute the earth. When I'm feeling more generous with myself, I buy "fair trade" organic coffee.

Does anyone else want to share a time she acted on her moral code even though it was not in her own best interest? Or when she relaxed her code "just this once"? And why she did that?

3. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Mar 25, 2007

I havn't responded to this yet because I didn't know how to word what I wanted to say, A lot of you make some very good points so I guess how I thought would go pretty well with what some of you have said.

I think its thinking with your heart.

I guess because if you think of what bad morals are you think "how heartless"

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 25, 2007

I think we wrote good generalized statements. If we write what our moral values are, that would be societal based.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 25, 2007

I didn't say morality had nothing to do with religion. For me, it does. I just said this thread had nothing to do with religion.

I think that morality is considering the results of your actions and how they will impact others, then tempering your own actions because of that impact.

6. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Mar 25, 2007

We are all human, and humans have weaknesses, but I believe it is our duty to be good anyway, regardless of where our hormones or whimsies might tempt us to go.

I know that nobody is perfect, but I can not genuinely respect someone who does his/her own 'thing' because by golly they WANT to and it's nobody's business, etc etc etc, when in fact, if you are in a position wherein children look to you as a role model, it by golly IS everybody's business how we behave ourselves in school and outside of school.

I'm not advocating peeking through your windows, but if you are in charge of my child, you'd better be a person of integrity, and someone whose life is a good example for my children to follow.

I realize that 'good' has many connotations. If you shoot your mother through the heart, you're a good marksman, but that doesn't mean you're a good man.

I guess I'm saying, if you don't want the children you influence to do it in the streets, you shouldn't be doing it in public, yourself, whatever 'it' might be.

7. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Apr 2, 2007

Actually, the Bible says "love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you . . .love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back . . .be merciful, just as your Father is merciful." Luke chapter 6 (our memory work in first grade this past month)

My question is - where does morality come from? Why do we have morals? Why do we have a conscience? Why are we spurred on to do good, and feel badly when we do wrong? And what makes something wrong?

8. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 2, 2007

So, is it ok to go to war and kill the "enemy?"

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 3, 2007

I know the Catholic church considers some wars, "just wars" - just as an adjective. When I was in Catholic high school, our deacon counseled boys on how to achieve conscientious objector status for the draft.

10. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Apr 3, 2007

I think that goes into a whole other realm. Personally, no I do not like war or think it's ok, but I also believe you have to do what you have to do in defending ourselves because there are just evil people on this Earth that we need to protect ourselves from that do think killing is ok. Not sure if that statement made sense or not.

11. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Apr 3, 2007

JenPooh and Grammy - your statements make sense. I don't know if the question of war can ever be answered. My morals tell me it is wrong to kill anyone, yet I know I would if my family were threatened. I even wonder if this fact fits my moral/spiritual belief system! So I am inconsistent. But the issue of war is very complex. I believe it is wrong to kill, but as in WW 2, it was even more morally wrong, in my belief system, to not step in and keep evil from killing millions of innocent people. So I don't see from my feeble viewpoint how the question of war can be answered simply if one side is controlled by someone truly evil, and the other side is controlled/run by someone who is maybe moral but flawed, maybe immoral but a good pretender, but anyway, not evil. Kind of like, should a policeman shoot and kill a person who is about to kill an innocent person? Is it then more wrong to kill, or more wrong to not protect the innocent?

Whatever our differing opinions are with today's war . . . after WW2 the motto was "Never again." So what are we to do when these evil people pop up into power, like what's his name, sounds like Chowchezku, Hussein, Kohmeni (sorry for the misspellings)? What is the answer to stopping evil people from destroying the weak and powerless?

It is a confusing subject for me. I think we would all agree that war is a bad thing and very painful. But the questions still remain. It is a real struggle.

12. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Apr 3, 2007

That's a great comparison!

13. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Apr 3, 2007

And after thinking further, I see I am even more inconsistent than I thought!! Because even though I believe it is more wrong morally to stand by and let someone innocent be killed when you have the power to intervene, I know I could never go to war. So on both sides, the behavior I predict I would have is not consistent with my beliefs. And my beliefs are solid and an integral part of my daily life. So what does that say?

Some truths clash with each other. I guess even when the pea brain can't figure out how to make them mesh, truth is still truth.