Morals

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Grammy Teacher, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 21, 2007

What do you consider good morals and why?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 21, 2007

I think I'll borrow from the wisdom of others:

"Do unto others as you would have them to unto you" and "first, do no harm."

Beyond that, I know 'em when I see "em :)

4. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Mar 21, 2007

Honoring the inherent worth and dignity of every person & seeking justice, equity and compassion in relationships with others.

5. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Mar 21, 2007

Forgot to say Why:
    When I can follow these expectations, I keep my moral agreements I have with myself. When I can't, I feel badly (sooner or later).

6. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Mar 22, 2007

If you want to know what I consider good morals, just read the Bible. :) Mine come from a Biblical standpoint, as much as they humanely (sp?) can that is. :)

7. becky

becky Enthusiast

Mar 22, 2007

Having good morals refers to how you behave when nobody's looking.

8. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Mar 22, 2007

Was there a particular reason for asking?

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 22, 2007

That's so funny because the family motto I teach my children (and quote often) is "Always do the right thing even when nobody is watching."

10. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 22, 2007

Yes. I think that we as teachers have an obligation to have good morals. Not in a high and mighty way, tooting our own horns about how great we are, but the kind that lives deep within our souls. I think that those who are responding are genuinely "moral" people. You can tell from their responses and history of posts.

11. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 22, 2007

Yep. That's it in a nutshell.

12. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Mar 22, 2007

So what are you saying about the people who didn't post Grammy? LOL! Just kidding!!!;)

I very much agree with you.

13. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 22, 2007

Always always always be kind to animals, if you can do that you are a good soul. :love:

14. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 22, 2007

That can be a good judge of character.

15. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Mar 22, 2007

Mahatma Mohandas K. Gandhi : quotes about Morals:
    The things that will destroy us are: politics without principle; pleasure without conscience; wealth without work; knowledge without character; business without morality; science without humanity; and worship without sacrifice.

I liked that one! :)

16. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Mar 22, 2007

I would have to agree about behaving the same when people are looking or not. If you are a person that has good morals, you will know that not only will it weigh down on you if you do wrong, there is a higher presence who is also watching your every move.

I would also have to say that good morals include honesty, integrity, friendliness toward others, and unconditional love.

17. futureteacher24

futureteacher24 Rookie

Mar 22, 2007

I remember in Elementary School, our counselor said, "Treat others as you want to be treated". Then, after thinking about it, she said, "No. Treat others BETTER than you want to be treated". That way, even if *you* wouldn't mind someone being rude to you, you still have to be nice to them :) Of course, you can't be a doormat.

Also I like the quote "If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything"

I strive to treat people and animals with loyalty, understanding, and compassion.

To me, morals involve an internal compass that tells you the right thing to do, even if it is not always the easiest route to take.

:)

18. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Mar 23, 2007

Not everyone with good morals believes there is a higher presence watching. Morals aren't necessarily religious in nature.

19. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2007

This is true. I was wondering if this would come up. People do not have to believe in God or have a religion to be moral people. However, those who do have these elements in their lives are welcome to share their 'take' on what they believe.

20. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2007

I think what teachingmomof4 was trying to say (correct me if I'm wrong) was stemming from what Becky said. If one believes in a higher presence then they tend to act the same no matter if they are around people or not, or they should. That's how I took it anyway. I don't think she meant it as all people who act that way are all religious. :)

21. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Mar 23, 2007

I am re-reading it, and I see she said people who have good morals know a higher presence is watching their every move. I happen to know people who think there is a higher presence watching them and still have questionable morals - and I know many many people who do the right thing because they know they would not be able to live with themselves if they did otherwise - even though no one (not even a higher presence) is watching them.

22. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2007

I am religious and believe in God, but I also admit that I and every person is fallible (sp?) no matter what you believe. I don't put any person on a higher responsibility level due to their beliefs, but it's sad that some people do and don't take into consideration that we are all still human. Not meaning you, meaning it in general. Perhaps teachingmomof4 will come back to explain herself a bit better.

23. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Mar 23, 2007

Jen, I agree -
    and I'll add that it's also sad that some people believe anyone who doesn't believe in the Christian God has no reason to have good morals. As if the only real reason to do the right thing is because you are afraid God will punish you. There are so many beautiful and important reasons to practice goodness besides fear of punishment if you do otherwise.

24. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2007

I agree. Doing good for fear of punishment is called guilt. I do beleive in God, and I do beleive that doing good in this lifetime is what it's all about, so most times, I look at this life on earth as a test.... I fail many times, but I think for the most part, I'm a decent person.

I also don't beleive that those who don't beleive in God are bad people who don't have morals. I have many friends who don't beleive in God, but are good people.

Live and let live. In the end, it's all about the decisions you've made.

25. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2007

yep

26. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Mar 23, 2007

The Jainists exhort us to live this way:
    "Do not injure, abuse, opress, enslave, insult, torment, torture, or kill any creature or living being."

This is the best instruction on morality I've seen from any source, religious or otherwise.

27. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2007

Change, I'm not at all familiar with Jainists, but it sounds vaguely like the ten commandments.

And don't forget the beatitudes.......the sermon on the mount Christ gave.....whether you believe He the Son of God or not, he was a great teacher and prophet who taught us all about love and peace. The beatitudes serve as a great example of morality in my opinion.

28. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Mar 23, 2007

Hi KK,

I'm not overly familiar with the Jainists either, but their moral code sounds very compassionate to me.

The ten commandments, on the other hand, don't mention anything about tormenting and torturing; and in fact #10 includes a commandment not to covet thy neighbor's slaves, so I guess slavery is tacitly acceptable.

The bible does, of course, command us to torture, kill, and injure our enemies, especially believers of other faiths and our family members who disobey us (if we are men, that is).

The Beatitudes offer beautiful heavenly rewards to those who believe Jesus is divine. All others, sorry. That's not compassionate, that's divisive. Incidentally, other supposedly divinely inspired scriptures propose that Christians (unbelievers, to the other religion) are left out of the heavenly kingdom. My how people fight over this.

29. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2007

Ahhhhhh..........but your take on what the bible "commands" is in the old testament law. Christ came to fulfill that law and so we have the Gospel (good news) of salvation through grace alone. I'm not going to argue my beliefs on this thread. I feel like you want to tear the bible apart for what it is......and I'm not here to argue any of that with you. If you think of the beatitudes as lacking compassion then I can't rationally debate this with you. Sorry......but I am NOT looking for a biblical debate. And I don't think Grammy was either when she posted this thread.....I merely wanted to convey my ideas on morality.

30. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2007

Well said Kinder. That is where "studying" the Bible comes to play an important role, not just reading it and assuming...anyone can just read something and form an opinion, but in order to form it into a valid one when it comes to the Bible, one must actually study the Word. It's not just "a book" you can read front to back and there are many analogies in the Bible too many people take too literally, esp. in the old testament. :)

31. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2007

I studied the "word" for 10 years decided it wasn't for me. To each his own. The religious debates have always ended in arguments you know. However, I totally understand the need to defend your beliefs. It's all right as long as we don't start preaching at one another about what to believe. That just turns people off.

32. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2007

"You shall not murder" the 6th Commandment ;)

33. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2007

I agree Grammy. :)

34. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2007

I agree 100% grammy.......and I wasn't trying to preach, merely state My ideas on morality and where my compass lies.......it wasn't meant to be debated!;)

35. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2007

Yea, I know we aren't trying to preach. We are all different(as we tell the kids,) and that's o.k! But, I also understand the need to stand up for what we believe in. That's how it should be if we are firm in our beliefs. I live in limbo myself, but I am a good person.

36. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2007

By the way, I value everyone's thoughts on this thread. It makes us think, doesn't it? That's how we learn.

37. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2007

I have many friends who are in limbo Grammy, and they are good people as well. :) They were raised right, to know what is right and what is wrong, have good hearts, and are great friends.

38. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Mar 23, 2007

Maybe I should state my opinion a little bit more clearly. As I re-read what I wrote, I realized how you could misconstrue my intentions. I was not trying to imply that anyone who does not believe in a higher presence does not have any morals whatsoever. I was actually going off of what Becky had said about acting the same whether anyone is looking or not. As for the higher presence, I was simply stating that I believe He is looking and watching. He knows. In no way did I assume that everyone believes this. Sorry if anyone was offended. :sorry:

My original set of morals still holds true in my heart: honesty, integrity, friendliness toward others, and unconditional love.

39. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Mar 23, 2007

It's very provocative when someone debates points from another's post, then ends by saying they don't want to debate.

In Matthew 5 (18? 17?) Jesus explains that the old laws are not abolished, but instead he has come to fulfill them.

The Beatitudes are full of compassion for Christians. It is striking that the Decision Point for someone to be either a Christian or Muslim is what holy book they read first. Born into a Muslim family, a person would see the Qu'ran first and find that Allah is the one true god and all other faiths are illegitimate. Substitute Christian for Muslim, Bible for Qu'ran, and God for Allah and the same is true. Why did God put this in the hands of circumstance? Does he really condemn 66% of His world's people?

I do know that it is politically incorrect and enormously impolite to question a person's religious beliefs. I would follow along and be polite if it weren't for the fact that millions of people are fighting, killing and dying in the name of their god and it is so unnecessary. If only no religion laid claim to being The One True And Right Religion - but too many do, and the faith some put into it inspires crimes agains all of us.

And TMo4, I understand what you said. No offense taken, and I hope all of you can at least understand why I'm being "impolite" on this thread.

40. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Mar 23, 2007

Looks like I'm a little late in this thread :)

I get my morals from the bible...but thats just me! Morals are def. not religious (but can be). I know plently of wonderful people (even nicer than me) who aren't christians but they are great people

41. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 23, 2007

changeofcareer, I think you are getting a bit off the topic. The topic isn't religious beliefs, it is morality. If we drop the religion aspect, we can continue this thread if you all want to do so. If someone wants to start another thread on religious beliefs, go ahead and do that.