Morale

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Grammy Teacher, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 17, 2007

The teachers where I work are in a state of low morale, including myself. We have a new director. She told us that she wouldn't be doing the little gift items for our birthdays, etc. We are left without all the little extras that we were used to, including someone patting us on the back once in a while. We were also told that due to lower enrollment over the summer, we're only receiving 10 cent raises. Several of us are extremely dedicated and work hard to run a great program. What would you do? Do you think it would be out of line to voice how we feel? Would subtle hints be an idea, such as notes telling our director some of the extras we are doing? She is never there because she also runs another business. She signs our paychecks. WHat do you all think? We are depressed. Several of us have worked there for 17 to 20 years and are very dependable in comparison to the newer employees, so what will keep us going and dedicated to do a super job?

3. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Oct 17, 2007

sorry to hear that...

I'm sorry to hear that Grammy..

sounds like this director is only in it for the $$ and does not give a hoot about her staff, children or parents! the fact that she has another business pretty much tells me that. and, the nerve to say she will not give out gifts like the previous director is just mean and inconsiderate.

Heck, anyone can bring Dunkin Donuts(or even grocery store donuts) on a Friday, or pick up a few nice things from the dollar store! You don't have to cut out incentives all together, unless you are just a cheap miser!!

Maybe some of the senior people involved can back her into a corner and say, very nicely, that your business is about caring...

and there are many long term, dedicated people on board who need to know she cares!

it stands to reason that people want to feel appreciated
    it would not hurt to do a few little things to keep the staff happy.
    then hint that some people may feel inclined to leave if they are not given any attention!

that may just backfire on you, as it's probably what she wants! she probably knows good and well what she is doing, and plans to bring in her own underpaid, robot staff as soon as the good regulars leave.

watch, wait, listen...and then try that suggestion again...

good luck...:sorry:

4. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 17, 2007

Oh Grammy, that stinks! I really don't know what you should do, but I don't blame you for being depressed. What happened to your old director? Wasn't it a husband/wife team? That is just too bad for all of you. :(

5. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 17, 2007

The wife is involved in their new business and has passed the job as director/administrater on to her 30 year old daughter. So, none of us quite know what to do. Things have changed a lot as far as the atmosphere of the place.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 17, 2007

10 cent raise? Are we still in 2007? Gee, I hope that doesn't push you into a higher tax bracket...ARE THEY KIDDING???:down:

7. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 17, 2007

I told them they should keep the dime.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 17, 2007

Reminds me of the song from 'The Pajama Game'

Seven and a half cents doesn't buy a heck of a lot...

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 17, 2007

Not a very nice situation, Grammy. Could you all do a secret birthday exchange? Each staff member could pick a name and give that person a little gift, card, flowers, cake, or whatever. That's what we do.

10. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 17, 2007

There are too many new ones who wouldn't want to do it. My next door teacher and I exchange birthday gifts. I think the bottom line for us older teachers is the insult of such a small raise. I would think they would at least give the seasoned, dedicated teachers a decent raise! I am so aggravated by it, I just feel like quitting. I hate this feeling and I am trying not to let it consume me! I can usually rise above things like this, but I am in such disbelief. Sometimes I feel like going to the "wife," our former administrator.

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 17, 2007

The 'raise' really is an insult.

12. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 17, 2007

I know! It would have been better if they would have said they couldn't give out any raises at this time than to give 10 cent ones. I don't know if I can keep my mouth shut for much longer. I want to go talk to someone about it, but don't want them mad at me either.

13. childcare teach

childcare teach Comrade

Oct 18, 2007

Grammy teacher if you need a hug I would be glad to help .:hugs::hugs: I agree with the others . In New HAmpshire the Director has to be in the building for so many hours a day. Do you have the same rules? May be you all need to have a staff meeting to talk to here or a suggusting box.

14. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Oct 18, 2007

yes it is an insult but how low was enrollment? If it was really low maybe ten cents was all they could do at the time? Is the preschool hurting for kids? I would ask what factors go into getting a raise, by brining it up like that the new boss might feel less attacked and that you were just curious. If you feel like you can talk to her tell her you really miss the nice atmosphere that you once had there.

15. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Oct 18, 2007

Grammy, I'm so sorry. Morale is so important in this field. Do you have the type of relationship with the old director (mom) to tell her about the morale issues? Has the new director taken all of the required classes? When I took my classes morale was heavily stressed. We do a lot of morale builders here without costing the school. We have a list of birthdays. If my birthday is on Oct. 18, the person whose birthday falls before October 18, brings in a cake for all to share and a small gift. We also do Secret Santas in December. I'm hoping the old director will step in if she hears about the low morale. Hang in there!!!

16. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 18, 2007

Thanks for the hug! There is an "acting" director in the building at all times, but she makes no decisions regarding raises. The one who does is the owner/administrator(my fault for not clarifying that.) Her father is the one who makes the final decisions regarding any money matters and he is the one who decided on the 10 cent raise.
    I don't want to be organizing a staff meeting for such purposes because they would look at me as an instigator. Same with a suggestion box. There are always those who won't help matters and come out smelling like a rose. They would be writing stupid stuff and causing more problems than helping.

17. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 18, 2007

Most bring a treat for everyone on their birthday and some of us closer ones exchange gifts on b.days. We do secret santa. Yes, this person has her degree, but I don't know if she truly understands all of the things that should be done for staff. She said she won't be doing all the little personal things her mom did when she was in charge.

18. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 18, 2007

Enrollment was rather low at times, but not our fault. The acting director was turning away kids wanting in because this or that room was full, but there were other rooms that were not. She could have been moving kids and making room and taking all those other kids. She did that this fall and now a couple of the younger rooms are not full! It's a mess really.Many people cannot afford the high price of child care and are taking their kids to in- home...
    Another thing that I think is a big problem is that our daycare needs updating. It doesn't look modern inside. It's getting old(just like any old building does,) and nothing is being fixed up. I am getting the feeling that they are going to sell it before long. No one has said that, but why else wouldn't they be keeping it up?

19. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 18, 2007

Grammyteacher, do you want to come work for me?

20. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 18, 2007

ok, watch for me on my broomstick.

21. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Oct 18, 2007

Our center is in need of some updateing too, but they just opened the second site so i doubt they want to close it ..lol I hate when morale is low! Our center has some huge gossip queens!! And I can only listen to so much negativity! I hope that things get better!! :hugs:from what I have read on here I think you are probably one of the best prek people around, now that I am in this setting I am seeing those who get it and those who dont! Good Luck!

22. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Oct 18, 2007

Grammy, You've been there for a while. Do you think this might be cyclical?

23. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 18, 2007

No. It's never been this bad.

24. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 18, 2007

Gossip doesn't really seem to be a problem. Nearly everyone gets along very well(except for a couple of new ones who we wonder about!) The reason I think they might consider closing it is because they own another very profitable business and that's where all the money has been going. THe other business is in brand new, perfect condition, remodeling, etc. (It's not child care related, but retail.) So, I am thinking they are going to phase us out. It is really scary for some of us.

25. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 18, 2007

Grammy, I think you should consider opening and running as director of your own place!!! Take all those devoted employees with you. I think you'd be outstanding as the director/owner.

26. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Oct 18, 2007

now that's an idea!

or home daycare...with a center in your basement...

27. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 18, 2007

I agree. Grammy, you always have such thoughtful replies, and love kids--go for it.

28. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Oct 18, 2007

When my daughter was in 6th grade, we met a great child care provider. We both admitted that my daughter was old enough to stay home, but needed a little supervision. so she decided have her work as a helper, and not charge me!

I loved her set up because she only had 10 kids. and she only worked with the same families, and their sibilings. she didn't bother recruiting..because she only took referrals from family or current parents. as the kids turned 10, she filled their spot with a new infant. mothers kept her busy, always pregnant!

she had a full kitchen and bath downstairs. never let anyone but my daughter upstairs. when it was 6pm, you had to go. she called your back ups, and sent them home! her only issue was with new village ordinances, trying to tax, and charge fees to the private child care homes.

some people also buy storefronts, and have small centers, but close to home. that way, they get benefits without touching their home at all. easier than building from ground up.

I say look into it Grammy...

even if you started off small...like afterschool 4-7pm with people you know and trust. and keep day job, just until you see how it works for you.

29. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 18, 2007

Want all of us to write her some notes? Mail them to her?

Put a bug in her ear?? That she need to start appreciating her staff, etc.??

30. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Oct 18, 2007

better yet, write to the parents...tell them to complain or pull out!

then what?! no kids, no staff..no $$

31. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 18, 2007

No way. Directors have ALL the headaches. I don't want to worry about all the "details" of running a daycare. Believe me, it's an awful job.

32. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 18, 2007

And I would have NO job!!!!!!!!

33. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 18, 2007

You guys are all so great. I wish we all worked together!

34. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Oct 18, 2007

Grammy, Tell us what you want us to do. We're behind you!!!

35. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 18, 2007

You're already doing it. At least I know I have valid reasons to complain. You didn't say I was wrong(but if you think I am, then tell me.) I just need to decide what direction to go in or how to adjust my attitude. I appreciate each and every one of you giving me food for thought.

36. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Oct 18, 2007

then go for assistant! :whistle: all glory, no guts...all fame...no blame

37. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Oct 18, 2007

a big online virtural pre-k!!!

Hey, we have that in Chicago...It's a video that you can watch, get ideas, and then you tape your class and add on to it. or something like that.

kinda like pre-k for home-based children.

here it is....

https://www.virtualpre-k.org/childcare.php

38. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Oct 19, 2007

:Hugs: We love you, Grammy. :hugs:

So hard when you've found your place and settled in... and it gets pulled out from under your feet. :(

39. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 19, 2007

Well, here I am the new Director in this really good day care. And I am loosing staff and kids. And I love my staff and give them lots of rewards, mentoring, etc. Change is hard on everyone. And, yes, Grammyteacher, there are a million head aches to being the director.

I do not know if I will stay, as I just talked with my supervisor and told her that I don't like the stress of this place. I have never had a job where there was so much stress.

Anyway, can I be the cook of your virtual day care?

40. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 19, 2007

The biggest morale things we do have nothing to do with school money. Since the state runs our school that is important. We have a chocolate club. This is employee donated. We have a roster sheet that tells us when to bring it in. In the meantime we can sneak chocolate from the office all day long. Believe me I do just that! Another thing is the teacher's breakfast club on Fridays. Again this is staff donated. We are permitted to eat this in our classroom in front of the kids. They don't have a problem with it. We don't eat it during a lesson of course. We have monthly happy hours as well.

41. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 19, 2007

Director's Job

How many kids are there in your daycare? We are licensed for 67 and I 'm not sure what the off-site after school program is licensed for. Our present "director," (who is not the "owner,") is worn out to the max because of staffing problems. There are those who call in when they sneeze, there are those who don't do their job very well, there is the "older lady" who wants off aaalllllllll the time for this and that, and the lady with a bunch of kids who wants off every time there is no school in the public school so that she can be home with her kids, the cook who HATES cooking(but is a good cook,) but she doesn't want to do the kitchen cleaning, and the lady who is pregnant and seems to have endless Dr. appts, and the gal who is just lazy and wants to leave early all the time, etc, etc. There are no subs...again. So, that leaves me and my teacher next door to me who are ALWAYS there and when we do ask off, one of the above mentioned people have already not showed up or have put in for these days so far ahead that we have to wait until the timing is JUST RIGHT for us to have off. We love what we do and we are soooooo good at it and that is all that keeps us going. We laugh ALOT everyday and love the kids in our classes. That's what keeps us going.