Moral Turpitude; Can I teach in Virgninia ?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Newbee77, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Newbee77

Newbee77 New Member

Sep 6, 2012

Greetings

I am a mid 30's career switcher applicant interested in applying for positions in the Northern Virgina Area. I have recently received a copy of my FBI Background Fingerprint check which reveals 2 prior misdemeanor charges from 2001 and 2002. The first conviction is for a $9.00 bounced check (I know, how pathetic, I was young and stupid)...The second conviction is for driving on a suspended license...... I did plead guilty to both charges and was placed on probation..... I paid all fines and court cost as well.....I have not had any convictions since.

My question is regarding the Virgina Licensing process. I have been informed that Virgina has some sort of moral turpitude requirement to become a teacher. Does anyone think that these convictions will prevent me from becoming licensed by the VADOE ?......Has anyone had experience in this area ?.....Please advise....Thanks. :unsure:

3. teresateaches

teresateaches Companion

Sep 6, 2012

I hate to say it, but I think you might have a hard time. I googled because I needed a little background and I found this:

http://srislawyer.com/tag/crimes-of-moral-turpitude/

Writing a bad check is included in this.

I think your best bet would be to call the VDOE. You don't have to tell them your name but tell them you have a question about the licensure process. There are phone numbers you can call to talk to someone.

4. treefrogs

treefrogs Rookie

Sep 7, 2012

I know it wouldn't be a major issue in other states.

5. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Sep 7, 2012

Which states would those be? I would say two convictions would be difficult in any state.

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 7, 2012

I think the larger issue is why your license was suspended.

7. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 7, 2012

It would be problem in Texas....

8. Rbart

Rbart Companion

Sep 7, 2012

If Virginia has a Criminal History Review Unit for the Department of Education, I would call them and ask what are the disqualifying offenses? Get your answer from them that way you know for sure. I would also suggest if your current State or State where the offenses were committed allows expungements, I would look into getting those off your record if you can. A Lawyer can help you with an expungement.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2012

Call a lawyer and inquire whether having your record expunged could help.

10. treefrogs

treefrogs Rookie

Sep 8, 2012

I'd rather not say the state, as it's the one I live in. :whistle: sorry!

I will say that I was surprised when I found out, but I know of people hired with multiple DUI's. This was before and after their certification. I also went to college with someone who had two convictions, forgery and theft from when he was 19. He had to go through a few more steps to get his certification, but was able to. I don't know what state, but my school listed him as being a private school teacher in the alumni newsletter.

Now, I'm not saying I know everything on the subject; I only know a little anecdotal information.

One idea might be to ask education colleges in different states. Usually there is a bit more extensive process to be accepted into the edu department, so it would be a relevant question.

11. treefrogs

treefrogs Rookie

Sep 8, 2012

I second getting legal advice.

12. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Sep 12, 2012

Considering your last charge is ten years old and they are both relatively minor offenses, I think you'll be fine. Just be honest on your application to the schools and the state for your certification. You'd be surprised what kind of things will be forgiven. Especially if you were young when it happened, a lot of time has elapsed since your arrest and have done positive things with your life since.

I'm not saying it will be easy, because there will be some schools that won't hire you. Don't let that deter you though. I live in one of the most conservative states in the US and know teachers that have backgrounds much worse than yours. Good luck. :hugs: