Moose/IPOD Folders for 5th Grade

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by MsMaggs, Jul 8, 2008.

1. MsMaggs

MsMaggs Comrade

Jul 8, 2008

I'm just curious to see how you guys are setting up your "moose" folders for 5th grade... Especially if you are planning on using the 25 cent binders we got at Staples that don't have pockets on the front or back of them.

3. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 9, 2008

I'm not using the 25 cent binders. I need something more heavy duty since this is the binder for EVERYTHING. Here is a link to what I include: http://www.msjensenclass.com/ipod_binders/iPod_binders.htm

Can I tell you how much I love the acronym iPod????? Thank you dbelmo for the idea!:2up:

4. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Jul 11, 2008

My binders were the 1" hard-covered ones from Wal-Mart. Even with them being hard-covered, I had a couple of kids that needed to replace their binder about 1/2 way through the year.

5. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 11, 2008

iPod binder?? Cool. That may be incentive enough to get my students interested in their binders. :) I could even design an iPod graphic...

6. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 11, 2008

I ended up making one and I am SUPER excited about it. I think the kids will really like it. I'll post it on my website and let you know when it's up.

7. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 11, 2008

Here it is: http://msjensenclass.com/ipod_binders/iPod_binders.htm

Click on iPod Cover Page. For some reason it looks as if I have some of the wording bold in the iPod and some not.....when it prints out on my computer it's fine. I don't understand why it's doing that on the site. :confused:

8. MsMaggs

MsMaggs Comrade

Jul 11, 2008

Thanks so much for sharing!!! I love your description of the iPod and the parent letter. Also, your cover page graphic is great! You've given me lots of ideas...

9. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 11, 2008

katenar, thanks for posting your link. I've been thinking of descriptions for parents and you have given me ideas for that.

And again, dbelmo - you are so creative! love the ipod acronym.

10. dbelmo

dbelmo Rookie

Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the compliments, I just wanted to do something more hip and modern for my 6th graders. I am so glad everyone likes the idea!!
    Here is my "logo" for labels. I am using the cheap 25 cent 1 " binders from staples, but then again my students will not be using them for everything, just somestuff. I can't afford the better quality binders at this time, as I am impatient and can't wait for the students to supply them. I want them ready for Back To School Night in August (before school starts).
    Sorry to ramble, thel logo link is here...

http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll464/dbelmo/IPODbinderlab-1.jpg

dbelmo

11. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 11, 2008

For those of you who use the binders, do you use 1"? I thought about using 1/2" but am not wondering about whether it will be too small.

12. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 11, 2008

It depends on what you are putting in there. I use a 2" binder because that is the size that works best for all the resources and information we have in our binder. Last year I did 1 1/2" binders and the kids said they were too small.

13. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Jul 11, 2008

I use the 1" binder as it houses the district-supplied planner as well as everything for me. The only thing that I do not include that would take up additional space is a pencil/pen bag. My kiddos had plenty of space for everything. I bought the $0.97 binders last year from Wally World.

14. 100%Canadian

100%Canadian Companion

Jul 12, 2008

Wow! This could be exactly what I've been looking for! My yearly battle with my students is keeping everything organized. Last year, I bought a bucket/shelving unit from IKEA to hold notebooks and duo tangs but it remained empty for the majority of the year because books would go home for homework and never get back to the bins again. Then desks would begin to fill up and....ugh! I was thinking of some sort of "homework folder" but this sounds awesome!

Here's my question though. If this iPOD folder contains everything, doesn't it eventually overflow with work and get thicker as the term goes on (assuming you thin it out at term's end)? Or does the work get filed elsewhere in the classroom once it has been learned about?

15. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 12, 2008

*gasp* How exciting, an iPod binder site! I can't wait to read through your iPod site, Katenar! It looks good so far!

I'm planning to use the Staples 1"" binders...for now. If WalMart (or anyone else) sells binders for less than $1 this summer, I might buy them, but I already bought the Staples ones.

I think the iPod binders will be a "hit" with 5th graders. Whoever thought of that acronym is brilliant.