Moose Folders

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by teacherbell, Jul 26, 2005.

1. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 26, 2005

I was just wondering how many people use MOOSE folders and how they have worked for them. I am going to be in first grade and I would like to have a folder that included a place for communication with parents. Thanks for your help.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2005

I don't have a MOOSE folder as I understand them- I just think for me there's too many pockets to check- I do use home folders. My homework for the week is in a stapled pack of about 4 pages with a cover sheet listing the homework. There's information on the cover sheet regarding book orders/field trip forms/etc and a box for each day for parents to sign that homework was checked and enough room for them to write comments.These hw packs get put in the home folders. Each day I check that homework was done, quickly read parent notes, and collect any envelopes/forms that are in folder. Using a regular folder I only have 2 pockets to check which are basically empty except for the hw organizer. On Fridays I send a separate Friday folder home with corrected work, school communications, forms to be filled out and returned. Parents review and keep the corrected work, write comments if they want on form and return folder on Monday with any forms from school that needed to be returned. This folder also has a form for parents to sign and leave comments if they wish.

Here's a link for you:
    http://www.teachingheart.net/moosebooks.html

4. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Jul 26, 2005

I did a moose book last year but I called it the FROGS book (Fully Resposible Organized and Growing Students). I liked it at first, but the students wrecked them SO fast by stuffing them in thier back packs and desks. Most of them were ruined by the 2nd or 3rd semester of school.

5. flowerfreak

flowerfreak Rookie

Jul 26, 2005

I used the FROGS book last year and we loved it. Their papers actually got home without being crushed in thier bags! I had a basket by the door for them to put their FROGS book in after they turned in their homework. That way, they didn't lose them in their desks and they lasted tghe whole year. I'll have to replace a couple, but most of them are still in good shape.

6. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2005

I tried to do a version of the MOOSE book, but it didn't work for me. Didn't have enough time to always check it, file papers, etc. Too much work for one person. Some kids also trashed them or lost them. The one folder each week has always worked for me.

7. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 26, 2005

I tried a version of it as well and just didn't have the time to check it all of the time. They take up A LOT of time! However, the sections were nice in their binders and the students tended to put things in the right sections.

8. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 26, 2005

Thanks for everyones ideas. I think I am going to do one folder a week. I will use the folders with prongs and add in a form that will have a place where I can communicate with parents every week. I think this will be easy to keep up with.