MOOSE books for preschool??

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by preschoolgal, Aug 6, 2006.

1. preschoolgal

preschoolgal Rookie

Aug 6, 2006

Hello again! So after doing some major organizing and searching I have come upon this idea of using MOOSE books. I think its a fantastic idea, but what exactly would you put in it for a preschooler? I don't plan on sending homework home or anything like that, and its rare that I need papers to be signed and returned. I guess I am at a loss at how to organize it! Please help!:confused:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2006

So why do you want to use one if there's really no need for it?

4. preschoolgal

preschoolgal Rookie

Aug 6, 2006

Well I thought I would use it for communication between the parents, maybe put a behavior/incentive chart in it, copy of class rules, etc. I just wanted ideas and input as to what other preschool teachers put in it, or if they used one at all.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2006

How about a folder? You could put a list of your school procedures (drop off, pick up times, etc), your behavior chart, newsletters- Seems to me most of that stuff parents are going to read once and not need again though. You could send folder home once a week with the weekly behavior chart and any art projects/etc you are sending home and then the parents could send the folder back in empty.

6. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Aug 6, 2006

In my class we have a "Daily Folder" and we use it to send the children's work in , as well as weekly newsletters, and to have "access" to a way of communication between home and school. Pardon me for asking but what is a "MOOSE" book?

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2006

8. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Aug 6, 2006

oh! Thanks! That is basically what my "Daily Folder" is! Thanks for that info ! May can adapt a better method for next year

9. preschoolgal

preschoolgal Rookie

Aug 6, 2006

I guess using the term "MOOSE Book" was wrong. However, the 3 prong folder is what I planned on using in the first place. I didn't think I would have enough to put in a binder, so I improvised. I guess I will just stick with putting the behavior chart, blank paper for notes home and notes for the teachers, work sent home, etc. Thanks for the input guys. If anyone else has any suggestions, feel free to send them my way! :D

10. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Aug 6, 2006

I have to say ~ this year I am avoiding the "behavior chart" ~ as I have found some of my coteachers tend to use these too freely without allowing three year olds to be three. I will have a stoplight method to hold the kids accountable in the room, but so many times I have found that a "big deal" is made about behavior of a child rather then what they did accomplish * I am talking more about parents then teachers* .

11. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2006

Last year I used a weekly folder. I put the kids work in it...for the whole week and I used it for notes to parents as needed. Some parents loved it and there were a few who never participated. It got a bit confusing for families who were split up...the folder would get left at one of their houses and the other parent wouldn't get to see it at all. One family lost theirs regularly and even the most diligent parents would constantly forget to bring it or take it. The whole process about drove me nuts so I don't think I'll do it this year.

12. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 6, 2006

My kids all had a communication notebook (PreK special ed) last year that I or therapists wrote in (almost) every day, and parents often wrote back (some more often than others)... i just stuffed extra notes (newsletter, school handouts, etc) inside their spiral... but I only had a few kids. ;)

13. tina007

tina007 Rookie

Aug 7, 2006

I do a daily folder. On one side is a monthly calendar on which I mark a happy or sad face for daily behavior. If it a sad face I write a short note explaining why. I ask that parents initial each day, so do some don't. At the beginning of the year I explain the campus newsletter will be sent home at the end of the week along with my own weekly newsletter.

14. preschoolgal

preschoolgal Rookie

Aug 7, 2006

Thanks for the ideas guys! I am glad to see that someone besides me decided to use them. I think it will work out great *crosses fingers*!! I am so excited to get into my brand new preschool room and get everything together before our open house. If anyone has any ideas on what to do for open house, please share! Thanks! :love:

15. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 9, 2006

We have "Your KID's (keeping informed daily) notebook. I get those plastic 3 prong portfolios with pockets. I put papers going home in the front pocket. There is a pencil pouch in the front for money and important reminder papers that aren't to be taken out are in those clear sheet protectors... Cover sheet, Attendance rules, 2 school calendars in different formats (One is a list of dates the school is closed and the other is a collection of little calendars with the dates colored), There is a page of notebook rules (don't tear pages out, don't color in it, etc). There is my ABC's of Preschool that I adapted from someone's ABC's of Kindergarten page. There is a page with radio stations and TV stations that will report school closings. And last but not least, a lunch menu (also can be used as another calendar).

I hope having those 3 versions of calendars will help the parents know when school is out or dismissing early. I mean there are THREE VERSIONS!! A LIST, A SET OF CALENDARS FOR THE WHOLE YEAR THEN THE LUNCH MENU CALENDAR. But I know SOMEONE will not pay any attention to them. I always have one... AT LEAST!!

Forms are in spanish, too, for the ones who can't read English.

Lori