Moose Binders for third grade?

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by thirdgrade, Aug 5, 2008.

1. thirdgrade

thirdgrade Rookie

Aug 5, 2008

Tell me your honest opinions..

Do they work for third graders?

Should I wait till my 1st is finished and am 2nd year teaching?

3. Deb06

Deb06 Companion

Aug 5, 2008

This will be my second year of teaching third grade. I will be using MOOSE binders for the first time (I'm calling them TIGER binders) and I wish it was something I would have tried my first year. I think it will be a wonderful way to teach the kids organizational skills. I'm really excited to see how it goes. I also think it will be a more efficient way for me to keep track of student work, notes, and other important documents.

4. Mrs.Mom

Mrs.Mom Companion

Aug 5, 2008

I'm wondering the same thing! I'm going into my 1st year in 3rd this year, and it seems like a lot of work, and the year is fast approaching!!! I guess I don't 100% understand the moose binders, so that's why I'm a little hesitant to give them a try!

5. MissNewTeach161

MissNewTeach161 Rookie

Aug 5, 2008

what exactly is a moose binder? I am aqlso approaching my first year of teaching 3rd grade and am really nervous of the amount of work.

6. daizie75

daizie75 Rookie

Aug 5, 2008

When my school opened, we started using HAWK binders. I love them. I can't imagine teaching without them. You have to teach the children where everything goes and stay on them until they learn the organization. Most students pick it up quickly.

Each of our students brings a 1" white binder, a yellow poly folder, and a purple poly folder. The front inside pocket is for notes from the teacher, the yellow folder is for homework and the purple folder is for graded papers. They also keep their agenda (purchased from the school) in their binder. It is much better than everything loose in the backpack. This year I am adding a zipper pouch for chapter books they take home for homework.

7. thirdgrade

thirdgrade Rookie

Aug 5, 2008

I was just going to use a folder with three prongs. I am thinking more and more I need the binders to make this work:oops:

8. daizie75

daizie75 Rookie

Aug 5, 2008

I would strongly suggest binders.

My students got so into them last year I had to put my foot down. HAWK binders are 1" not 3". It was ridiculous they couldn't fit them anywhere!

9. wrigleyroo

wrigleyroo Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

We use them and LOVE them. We call them PAWS binders.

We buy all the supplies and then the parents pay for them after. I like them to be 1" clearview binders. (so you can put a cover sheet in them)

I can't even tell you how many parents really like them. I have had a few teachers children in my classes over the years and each time, the teacher parent takes the idea to her class the next year.

They work well for 3rd and I would highly recommend them to a first year teacher. :)

10. just-n-educator

just-n-educator Companion

Aug 16, 2008

How exactly do these bindres work and what goes in them other then what was mentioned above? Do they go home everyday? How do the children learn how to use them?

11. daizie75

daizie75 Rookie

Aug 16, 2008

The binders are a way to teach children organizational skills.
    The only other thing that I might put in my binder not on my list above are procedure type things. Directions for practicing spelling words, homework expectations etc. In front cover we put a cover that says Homework and Assignments for Wonderful Kids (HAWK) and students label it with their name. In the back cover we put HAWK binder rules. I don't remember them all off hand. Take your HAWK home every night. Clean out folders and pockets. Return your HAWK to school each day.