Moodle: What do you use it for?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by dizzykates, Jul 21, 2011.

1. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jul 21, 2011

I have a moodle page this year and we are suppose to use it to communicate assignments and agendas with students. It's also suppose to contain pdfs of all worksheets or forms we use so students can get them if they are absent. I have a few ideas for how to use my page, but I thought I'd see how you use yours.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2011

Good question!

I've spent some time this summer putting together a web page, using a 30 day free trial.

My trial ends today, and I'm not sure whether or not I'll let it expire. I'm simply not sure that there's anything there that will make a difference to any of my kids.

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 21, 2011

I use it all of those ways, in addition to setting up a message board and requiring them to post on it. I also accept most assignments electronically through Moodle.

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2011

Anytime I give notes on a powerpoint, etc. it goes up so if students are absent or want to revisit notes, they can. This is especially nice for end of the year exams when kids have to go back and review everything.

This year, they will use moodle to turn in every assignment.

Anything handed out gets posted on moodle (which will be almost nothing this year since I am 1:1 laptops).

Discussion forums are great. Some I just put up for support and students can ask each other questions, etc. Some are required - I love this because it is like having a class discussion but everyone can and is required to participate - so there is not one person dominating the conversation.

For summer work, kids can turn things in periodically throughout the summer instead of me getting a huge packet of stuff at once.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2011

I've used it as others have described. I'm going to experiment with using wikis and having students create blogs, but I'll link everything through Moodle for ease. Moodle is the platform that our board prefers we use; I like the consistency between schools and between elementary and secondary panels.

7. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Jul 21, 2011

Wow... lucky teachers who have students with internet access at home!!

8. Rox

Rox Cohort

Jul 21, 2011

I used Moodle as a student in college. My professor put all the necessary paperwork (syllabus, reference papers, articles, etc.) on there. She also sent out reminders when something was due soon. We also had a discussion forum on the different topics we were discussing. Assignments were also turned in through Moodle, which was also processed through turnitin.com to check for plagiarism. I enjoyed using the site, although I think it must've been a lot of work to set up.

9. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 21, 2011

Some of mine don't. I always have paper copies available and will accept paper copies of most assignments. For discussion board posts and things they can't turn in on paper, they can use the school or public library as it shouldn't take longer than half an hour a week to complete those assignments.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 21, 2011

Moodle is the distance learning system my university uses for the online grad program I'm doing. In the pst at other colleges, I've used Blackboard & the other name slips my mind.

11. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jul 21, 2011

Actually 50% of my students live in poverty and I assume many do not. We have time daily during homeroom, lunch, and time in class most days for them to use the classroom or library computers if necessary. My deadlines are also at least a full week out so they have time to locate a computer and internet.

12. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 21, 2011

We use LMS (a division of Blackboard) instead of Moodle. Basically it drives our entire content. Any information I use for a lesson goes on LMS... handouts, videos, mp3s, links, assessments, games, discussion boards, everything. If you want to slowly move in to this type of class environment, I think discussion boards are the easiest way to start. Even if they are just discussing questions or issues with the topic at hand, it's a good beginning. You can also use Voki to make mini recaps of your daily lecture/discussion to help the kids with homework. Those are the places I would start until you feel more comfortable with using it fully.

(Btw, I am in a public school, but each of our high school students is issued a laptop to use during the school day and to take home. About 1/2 don't have internet access at home.)