Months of the year song

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Steelers86, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Steelers86

Steelers86 Rookie

Sep 14, 2010

My students are starting to know there days of the week so I wanted to start months of the year. Does anyone know any good songs to help remember the months??

Also, a few teachers in my building use calendar math- implementing coining change and place value into their daily calendar time. I have not done this yet and was planning on doing it later in the year starting with a new month. I just feel like I have to many other things to teach at the start of the year with calendar (days of week, months, saying the date, knowing what to day, yesterday, tomorrow is etc.) Has anyone ever incorporated place value, change, etc in the middle of the year and how did you do so. Did u just start in a new month and just start at one..?????!

3. Steelers86

Steelers86 Rookie

Sep 14, 2010

Calendar time!

What do you do during calendar time??

4. Miss.W

Miss.W Companion

Sep 14, 2010

We do the Months of the Year macarena. Hope that helps!

5. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Sep 14, 2010

Same as Miss W here for the song, we also use Every Day Counts Calendar Math. Every month there are components that are done.

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2010

When I taught kinder, we started on day one with months. We sang Dr. Jeans months songs.

7. SoReady2Teach

SoReady2Teach Comrade

Sep 14, 2010

Greg and Steve have a months of the year song as well.

8. gigi

gigi Groupie

Sep 14, 2010

I also do Months macarena, so much fun, movement, laughter and learning all in one.

9. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 14, 2010

I do all my math board on the smartboard...it makes it easy to rearrange my day. I am willing to share if someone is interested....also I would love to hear the Macarana months...we do it with counting by twos.

10. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Sep 16, 2010

During calendar, we just discuss the date and what is coming up. It is less than 5 minutes long. Our district discontinued Every Day Counts.

11. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 16, 2010

Jack Hartmann has a months of the year line dance.

12. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Rookie

Sep 24, 2010

Morning Calendar

We do the "Month-a-Rana", discuss what today is, yesterday was and what tomorrow will be, we use alternating calendar number markers in the form of an AB pattern to track the date, we use coins to mark the number of days at school (when we get to 10 pennies we change it out for a dime i.e., 11 days at school would be a dime and a penny), we have a days at school place value counter (hundreds, tens & ones that we keep track of with straws) we discuss the weather, we also count by 1s and will eventually begin counting by 2s, 5s, and 10s later on the year. Calendar takes about 10 minutes (depending on who the Calendar Helper is) and I do it at the beginning of my math block which is usually after the first nutrition break.

I started all of this on the first day of school. Good luck!

13. smile

smile Companion

Sep 25, 2010

Oh, that sound interesting. Is there a CD for that?
    I use Steve & Greg Months of the Year.

14. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Oct 2, 2010

A lot of classes I've subbed in use the Months of the Year Macarena. I think it's on one of the Dr. Jean's CD's. Love that song!

15. malia

malia Rookie

Oct 10, 2010

Calendar

Sorry, coming to this about a month too late! Our months of the year song is to the tune of "Ten Little Indians." I did find the Months of the Year Macarena on Youtube--cute! I may incorporate the hand motions. :)

My calendar period is about 15-20 minutes--it takes up half of our math skills block. Pretty long, but because the second grade teachers were complaining that the kids come up without calendar skills, we spend quite a while on it. We do days of the week, months of the year, yesterday-today-tomorrow, boys present + girls present = children present, then we reverse and do the absents, weather chart, temperature chart, place value for days we've been in school, skip counting on the number grid, and lastly we end with the "number of the day" where we take the day's number, and write different names for that number, including spelling it in English, as well as other languages they may know (I have a few ELL students), tally marks, coin combinations that equal the number, addition facts, subtraction facts, and some smartie will always try to do a multiplication fact. :lol: They like to show off during this time on what they know.

I did not introduce this all on the first day--as we came across it in math, I added it to the routine. For instance, the temperature part didn't come in until we were introduced to thermometers in science and right now, I don't expect them to be able to read it until we get to that lesson in math. The coins were not introduced until just this past month when we worked on penny and nickel, and as we learn more coins, we'll add those in. So our calendar routine pretty much grows throughout the year; it wasn't all from day 1. All parts of the routine have either singing or motions for the kids to do, so it keeps them involved and engaged throughout the whole time (which is long, I do admit). But they love calendar time and can't wait for their week to be calendar monitor. Kids who normally drag their feet quickly finish their work when they know calendar time is coming, because they want to participate. I even had older students whom I've housed when their grade level went on a field trip, and they stayed behind, come join us on the carpet for calendar and happily sing along (even 6th graders!), remarking that it's still the same as when they were in first grade. Which makes me wonder why they go to second grade and pretend that they don't know what's going on during calendar...hmmm. :huh:

16. kteachone

kteachone Companion

Oct 10, 2010

I do these:
    http://www.canteach.ca/elementary/songspoems4.html
    I like to switch it up!

Also, for money, I do fair trading (I'm teaching Pre-K, but I did this in Kindergarten). I have a chart with velcro (five dots for pennies, 2 for nickels, 2 for dimes, 4 for quarters, and a place for one dollar). Every day we put a penny on the chart. When we get five pennies, we trade in for a nickel, etc. If we've been in school for 43 days, there should be 43 cents.