Monthly newsletter

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by jaszmyn, Aug 13, 2008.

1. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Aug 13, 2008

I want to do a monthly newsletter for parents this year. What format or word processing system do you use to create the document. I was trying to so it in publisher, but was wondering if you guys had a opinion towards something more user friendly. Thanks..

Also what are some heading s that you include.
    Thanks in advance for you wonderful advie :)

3. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2008

I do mine in Word. I just use text boxes and put them where I want them. Very easy to use.

These are the text boxes I have (at least the ones I can think of off the top of my head:
    Spelling words
    Grammar
    High Frequency Words
    Science
    Social Studies
    Writing
    Math
    Important Notes
    Birthdays
    A calendar

I do one weekly and I have it all set up and saved from last year. So really I just have to go in and change the dates and anything else that pertains to the week.

4. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Aug 13, 2008

i use this site's templates:

http://www.kellyskindergarten.com/Newsletters/newsletters.htm

I include academics updates (reading, writing, math, sci/ss), reminders, important dates, and once in a while a cute theme box where I ask the kids a Q and type some of thier responses (such as what is a leprachaun, how do you celebrate New Year's, etc)

5. 4alicat

4alicat Companion

Aug 13, 2008

I also use Publisher, but send out our newsletter weekly. I have a basic template that I made and just change info in the box each week.

These are some of the text boxes or items on my newsletter. These aren't the titles I use because it changes depending on what I'm talking about:

- Upcoming events - I list the dates/times of events coming up in the next few weeks

- Star of the Week - I have our student of the week draw a picture of him/herself. I also include a digital picture of that child doing one of that week's lessons/activities that is mentioned in the newsletter

- "Reminders" - there's usually something I need to remind parents about whether it be turning items in, asking for donations of certain items, etc.

- Subjects - The other text boxes include descriptions of whatever we were working on in some of the different subject areas. I don't always include each subject, just what I can fit and/or what was the most interesting.

6. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Aug 14, 2008

Wow! you all do a weekly letter. Seems like that may be really time consuming. I can't even think of something to say to parents EVERY week. I would probably repeat myself. Plus we have a district classroom homepage where I update spelling words and such. Kuduos to you!!

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2008

8. Teach in Tampa

Teach in Tampa Rookie

Aug 15, 2008

I send out a weekly newsletter that includes much of the same information as the teachers who posted above. I created the doc using Publisher and found the program to be very similar to Word. I have a Jungle theme and titled it "Mrs. _______'s Jungle Journal." It turned out really cute :)

9. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Aug 15, 2008

We use schoolnotes.com and we update ours every week. We have to update ours or we are written up the district uses this with Title 1 and we have to use it or lose it. It does come in handy. Mine is at
    http://schoolnotes.com/39367/mharrison.html

:D

10. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Aug 15, 2008

Oh that is a pretty cool website. I see they only let you update free 10 times. I could possibly do something like that weekly. But to make copies and stuff, sometimes might be a bit tough. Since i am a beginner iwill start off monthly and then work my way up to the status of "the veterans" Thanks for the great advice and tools.