Montessori

Discussion in 'General Education' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Aug 19, 2018.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 19, 2018

My district just started up a Montessori program at one of our sites. They hired 3 teachers to teach preschool through 6th grade (not exactly sure how the 3 teachers are dividing/sharing those grade-levels). Over the next few weeks, all administrators will have an opportunity to visit the classrooms. I'm excited to see what it looks like.

Anyone here have experience with Montessori?

3. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 20, 2018

My daughter went to Montessori preschool, but that's it. I am fascinated by the philosophy, though.

4. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 21, 2018

I, too, am intrigued by it. I got to observe it this morning. Seemed a bit chaotic for my taste, but it looks like a lot of parents are interested in it since there's a long waiting list to get into the program.

5. a2z

a2z Maven

Aug 21, 2018

I'm sure it is like anything else. There are programs that are run as intended and some that take bits and pieces and smack the label on them. I expect that if a program is truly chaos, it isn't being run properly. Highly active sounds about right, but chaos shouldn't be the term that comes to mind.

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 21, 2018

After visiting all 3 of the classrooms (there's Preschool-1st grade, 2nd grade-4th grade, and 5th-6th grade), my comment to the other administrator I was walking with was, "Wow, that was extremely chaotic. I don't know how those kids could concentrate." She interjected that that's what a Montessori classroom should look like. It just seemed like there were so many groups of kids doing their own thing and it was so incredibly LOUD in all 3 rooms.

7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 21, 2018

The Montessori teachers are all former gen ed teachers with many, many years of experience. I remember when the job posting came out, though, it was clearly stated that no special certification was required. A summer training was suggested...

8. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Comrade

Aug 21, 2018

There's a K-8 Montessori school in my area. One of my best friends from high school went there for all 9 years of elementary/middle school and did really well academically in high school, but she was incredibly motivated and curious and just a very smart person overall. She would have flourished in a hut in the desert, probably.

As a teacher, most of the kids I've seen that have come to my school after having been there for several years are pretty behind, though. It seems like there is very limited direct instruction, and a lot of kids just need that for some things.

I think the idea behind Montessori is awesome and could be a great thing if implemented the right way, but I haven't seen it work super well in an elementary or higher setting yet.

9. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 21, 2018

Agreed! I was underwhelmed by the fact that the teachers were circulating the room while students were off doing their own thing. I was also overwhelmed by the noise!

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 27, 2018

I worked at a school that was Montessori for the younger grades. What you’re describing doesn’t fit what I saw for years. The kids were all working on different things, but were rather quiet. It was always soothing to walk through their hallways on the way to the office.

a2z likes this.
  11. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 27, 2018

All of the kids I've seen that have come from Montessori schools have been severely behind. My guess is that it would be great for an advanced student but awful for a kid who needed a lot of direct instruction.

One of my friends in HS had gone to a Montessori school for K-8. She repeatedly said that our HS felt like "prison" to her in comparison...and I wouldn't say my HS was super strict or structured.

12. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Aug 28, 2018

I have mixed emotions about Montessori. My niece and two nephews attended from Pre-K through 8th grade. For my autistic nephew, I don’t feel that it was a good fit. The other two thrived in most parts of the program, but they both had some math deficiencies. This school was part of an in-district charter school.

13. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 28, 2018

...and I'm alllll about direct instruction. Not all day/every day, of course, but I truly feel it's necessary.

14. physteach

physteach Companion

Aug 29, 2018

These responses are so weird to me. My Montessori School graduates have been my best students.