Montessori vs. public school salary

Discussion in 'Montessori' started by MissM, Jul 20, 2008.

1. MissM

MissM Rookie

Jul 20, 2008

What is the starting salary and benefits like at a Montessori school vs. the public school?

3. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Jul 20, 2008

In my area, the public schools are funded with property tax funds. Therefore, the pay and benefits is much better. My school is a private non for profit Montessori school. We rely on tuition and fundraising. There is a public Montessori school in the area and the pay is the same as it would be for any public school teacher.

4. MissM

MissM Rookie

Jul 20, 2008

Thank you Pattypoo, I am debating whether or not to interview with a Montessori school. Is there a website, that lists all of the public Montessori schools? I've been reading on the philosphies of the Montessori schools, I find it fascinating and would like a change from the public school system, not sure if my wallet would like the change though :)

5. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Jul 20, 2008

I don't know if there is a website for public Montessori schools. I live in Illinois and I googled Illinois Montessori schools and tons of them showed up

6. Yenna

Yenna Companion

Jul 21, 2008

Montessori in the public school system is becoming more and more popular and you will generally be paid better and have better job security and retirement with a public school contract. Here is a resource called "The Public School Montessorian":

http://www.jola-montessori.com/

7. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Jul 21, 2008

The Public Montessori in our area only accepts children ages 4 and up. The practical life area is rarely used and there is a lot of emphasis on testing.

8. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2008

Same here Pattypoo. It's really disheartening.

I think the pay differential depends upon the MOntessori school itself. Typically public school teachers make more money, but around here (Cincinnati) we have tons of private Montessori schools as well and some of them work dilligently to raise teachers salaries to match those of public school teachers.

I've been teaching for 22 years, and I have taught in a private school all of that time. If I worked in the Cincinnati public schools with this # of years of experience and my masters degree, I'd earn approximately $20,000 more per year.

9. Yenna

Yenna Companion

Jul 30, 2008

NAMTA published a national salary survey a couple years ago.

10. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Oct 16, 2008

I know that Montessori Schools pay better than the public schools.

11. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Oct 18, 2008

How do you know this? It depends on many factors including the location of the schools in question. Most Montessori schools are privately owned and operated as non for profit schools as in my case. There is no way a small school can compete in terms of pay and health benefits as a public school can do because they are funded on a larger scale by property taxes. A Montessori school is funded only by tuition and a small portion of donations.

12. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Oct 19, 2008

I made 20k LESS in a montessori school that was private owned.

13. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Oct 24, 2008

Same here Mommaruthie. If I would work in the public Montessori schools here I'd make $20,000 more as well. At LEAST.

14. erh3794

erh3794 Rookie

Oct 27, 2008

what exactly is a Montessori teacher?

-emily-