Montessori teaching on-line program?

Discussion in 'Montessori Archives' started by DMR, Aug 29, 2003.

1. DMR

DMR Rookie

Aug 29, 2003

I just read where someone took their Master's online with the Montessori method. Could you please tell me where this was done as I am researching my master's and will be doing it online. We have a Montessori school 10 minutes from my house and I currently teach in a private catholic school. I do have my B.S. in Elementary Education and have wanted to broaden my way of teaching. Thank you for your help.

Dawn

3. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Sep 2, 2003

search the internet

I will try later to get a link for you. there are many institutes who do offer this training. I would recomend that you do a search on the net for online montessori training.

4. AJK

AJK Pre-k Montessori Teacher

Sep 18, 2003

Ruth did you ever find anything? I can't understand how lessons that are designed to be so handson can be taught online.....
    Anyway, I want to get my toddler training. I don't know where to take it, considered an online training if there is one. Know anywhere down here that offers it? Money is definately a consideration, and of course the time. Let me know if you know anything!

5. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Sep 19, 2003

The only one that seems to have a really good reputation is at mearth
    michael olaf has something i think thats the one at MEARTH
    who says he is offering online montessori training.
    http://www.montessorifortheearth.com/

I would also ask Don Jennings at moteaco. I have posted the link for the forum (NEVER gets any hits) but you can access the home page from that to see if there is any information. http://www.moteaco.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi

http://www.ux1.eiu.edu/~cfsjy/mts/life/_link.htm
    this link is for jenny chen albums although i dont know what age and I personally think they are needing ALOT more details.

AJK as you already know the style and grace of Maria Montessori program from other ages I dont think you would have difficulties adapting other age levels especially if at 'toddler' age there are NOT varying materials then from preschool that need to be purchased from neinhaus. You could easily do the online program. I wouldnt recommend such programs if the person hasnt the experience or access to materials. Also, be wary of the 'albums' thats the main cost of the programs. Again, you have the experience with enhancing an album so you could add or create your own album page with notations from your experiences as you use the materials. (see jenny chen's on line albums which I personally think are not thorough)
    When my daughter was in toddler room, the beads for stringing may have been really bigger but i recall the 'knobs' being there and also the pink tower (so abused which i think is from toddlers playing king kong with it)

6. AJK

AJK Pre-k Montessori Teacher

Sep 19, 2003

Thank You Ruth. Several of my PLACE 3-year-olds have developmental delays, so in a sense I have been teaching toddlers for the last 4 years. I was just hoping to find some new lessons, some more basic lessons...something I may not have thought of myself. I've seen Jenny Chen's albums before and although it's admirable that they are posted online I'm not impressed with the write up. I've read Michael Olaf's "books", they're really catalogs for his materials with commentary on top, I'm just a little uneasy about that. :rolleyes: But, as you say I have adapted and modified an created before, so I can keep doing it. I think an observation in a toddler room, just to see some of the things they have out would be fun and more helpful than any training :)

7. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Sep 19, 2003

summit questa

I dont know what city you have moved to but near aventura on hallandale is a montessori school with preschool toddler rooms( i think east of US1/biscayne blvd)
    Also worth seeing is near VSY on Davie Rd and just block east from I95, although I think they closed that campus and are all on Davie Blvd and University. The school is Summit Questa.
    The other school that I saw that was glad to see was the school behind Shortys barbecue in the strip mall on University and I think Griffin or Sheridan area. (materials there, I warn you were in a sad state- dont say i didnt warn you)

I know we are all working but when you leave work, they are still there with the after care kids. Although the program may differ at times of the day, you can still get a good look at the shelves.

8. MDMontessori

MDMontessori Companion

Sep 19, 2003

I found a Montessori teacher about 3 hours from me on the computer. I went to her school this summer and took photos of her lessons....and there were a huge amount of them. I was going to visiter her today but because of Isabel everything is closed.
    Eileen