montessori teacher training

Discussion in 'Montessori Archives' started by Helen1983, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Helen1983

Helen1983 New Member

Jun 1, 2006

hello,

my name is helen and i currently work as a english teacher in a montessori school in france. I teach 3-6 year olds and the 7-9 year olds, and so far have really liked what i have learned about the montessori pedagogy.

As yet i dont have the montessori diploma but would really really like to. I was wondering if anyone had any information about government sponsorships, school sponsorships or anything of this sort as i am a bit lost as to where to start. i have searched the internet lots and not found much help. i have seen the tuition fees in france, london and ireland, and it is just too expensive for me, but i am dead set on doing the teacher training!

thanks for reading

3. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Jun 2, 2006

The Montessori school that I work for paid for my training. I agreed to work as a teacher at the school for at least 3 years. You may try asking the montessori school where you are working. There are a limited number of scholarships available through the American Montessori Society. Good Luck

4. wendi

wendi Rookie

Aug 1, 2006

Helen, don't give up! Like Patty, my school helps pay tuition for training. I believe some training centers offer scholarships and I think AMS (American Montessori Society) does, too, so maybe other such organizations do, too. Another idea is to find out if training centers have payment plans or stretch the training out over time so you can pay over time. I know CMTE (Center for Montessori Teacher Education) offers many programs; for 3-6 year old training, for example, you can go for 6 weeks in one summer, 3 weeks for 2 summers, 2 weeks for 3 summers, or once a week over two years. Lastly, you might think about starting out as an assistant in a school without the training or with just one course under your belt (like the philosophy course.) In some schools, you may not need the actual training to get started, if you have experience. Assistants sometimes are made head teachers after "on the job" training and take classes later. Good luck!

5. Yenna

Yenna Companion

Aug 2, 2006

I think you can definitely find a school willing to sponsor you, if you are flexible to relocation for training and employment? Are you interested in AMI? Here is a link for sponsorships:
    http://www.montessori-ami.org/amiusa/images/USASponsorship.pdf
    I would also contact schools who are looking for teachers through the AMI http://montessori-ami.org/ website and see if the schools where you want to teach are interested in sponsoring someone. You could also search for Montessori and a specific country to find more information about the different national organizations that may offer sponsorship.
    I actually did my training after being an assistant for a year and would have been very uncomfortable going into the lead position without the training. There is alot to learn. Good luck.