Montessori teacher training online

Discussion in 'Montessori' started by neco, Mar 15, 2010.

1. neco

neco New Member

Mar 15, 2010

Hello! I have some questions about Montessori teacher training programs that are offered online. I am state certified in early childhood education (birth-grade 3), English language arts (grades 5-12), and ESL (k-12). I am currently pursuing a Ph.D. in Curriculum & Instruction, with an emphasis in ESL. I have been fascinated by Montessori education since I first learned of its existence (way back in high school) and I have always wanted to learn more about it. I have read Dr. Montessori's work and other books written about the method, but I would like to delve deeper into the philosophy. What I really want to be able to do is conduct research on how Montessori education benefits English language learners, and/or bilingual schools using the Montessori method.

Basically, I am wondering if anyone can recommend the best online Montessori teacher training program available. I don't necessarily want to teach in a Montessori school, I just want to learn enough about the method so that I feel I am at least somewhat qualified to conduct research on it. I know that the AMI does not endorse any online or correspondence program of teacher training, and I completely respect that. It's just that...well, I'm working on a Ph.D., so time and finances preclude me from jumping headlong into an on-ground Montessori training program. I just love what I know about the Montessori method and I want to learn more. I'm trying to find an online course that stays as close to the original Montessori philosophy as possible.

Sorry you had to read through all of that. :) Thanks for any and all help and/or advice.

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Mar 15, 2010

I know the teacher with whom I work did an online training program. In order to teach in our school, though, she has to now go through a physical training program. The online program gave her some good insights, and a rough basic understanding of the philosophy, but not enough knowledge of the materials, in my opinion. Hence, the need for her to get trained again in a local program.

I'll ask her which training program she used and get back to you.

4. neco

neco New Member

Mar 15, 2010

Thanks so much, tracykaliski! :)

5. aroma53

aroma53 New Member

Mar 15, 2010

Hi Neco,
    I'm studying Montessori 3-6 online/distant education with NAMC which stands for North American Montessori Center.
    The material the have sent me is very good. They offer a certificate after done.
    Here is their website montessoritraining dot net.
    I hope it helps.
    Best regards,
    Ana.

6. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Mar 16, 2010

This is the program she used:

http://www.montessoritraining.net/

The North American Montessori Training Center. If you have any questions about Montessori philosophy, feel free to ask here. There are lots of good Montessori teachers here who would be able to answer your questions.

Good luck!