Montessori Teacher Assistants: How To Get Certified

Discussion in 'Montessori Archives' started by Suburban Gal, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Sep 22, 2006

Given the difficulty of finding the kind of TA position I want in the public and private school systems, I've decided to take a little closer look at the Montessori system.

We have several Montessori Schools in the immedate area and one has TA openings, full and part-time. I've been giving this a lot of thought and would like to apply. So, I plan on calling the school in the next day or two to inquire about a position.

I've been reading a lot of posts in the Monessori SI forum and see AMS and AMI certification. Do I need that as well?

Also, I understand there are Assistant workshops that I can take as well. Should I be taking a workshop at this stage of the game or are those for people who are already TAs? I went to http://www.teachmontessori.net and am interested in what they have to offer.

If you ladies would be as so nice to assist me, I'd really appreciate that - a lot! I'd like to do elementary TA for K on up.

3. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Sep 22, 2006

Send in your resume. If you are a qualified assistant then I am sure that you will be hired. Most Montessori schools send their assistants to a training after they are hired. I think everyone that takes Montessori training to become a teacher should work as an assistant in the classroom beforehand. I went to training with several people that have never stepped foot into a Montessori classroom before and they had a difficult time grasping the concept of the materials and philosophy! Good Luck.

4. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Sep 22, 2006

Thank you Patttpoo! I also PMed and E-Mailed some of the others and both brina618 and Kerana5 have also been a terrific help as well. :)

It turns out we have in the neighborhood of 15 Montessori Schools in the immediate area. So, I printed out a heap of my résumés, whipped up letters of interest, and busted out the envelopes. For 3 hours, I sat at my computer sealing envelopes and creating a huge stack on my bed.

I decided to take my chances and send away to most of the schools.

Thanks to the AMS, I was able to find out a lot about each school and who to send my letter of interest to for review.

I'm very, very excited and am hoping that I get a lot of calls.

Can anyone tell me what my chances are of being hired by one of the Montessori Schools based on my education and experience?

According to Kerana5, the fact that I'm a federally certified paraprofessional is a very big PLUS in your favor. What do the rest of you think? (I didn't send in a copy of my Federal/State certificate, however, the information for that is all included on my résumé.)