Montessori School in Nicaragua

Discussion in 'Montessori' started by MontessoriLearn, Nov 29, 2011.

1. MontessoriLearn

MontessoriLearn New Member

Nov 29, 2011

I've recently heard about a school in Nicaragua, School of Louise's Dreams. It's a Montessori school that provides education and food to the children of the area who would otherwise be unable to afford either. I know Nicaragua is the second poorest country in the western hemisphere, but has anyone visited there/will be? I am supposed to in a year, and am a Montessori teacher myself, and am interested in the story behind the woman, Louise. She was a teacher and traveled to Nicaragua and was so blown away by the poverty that she used her retirement to start a Montessori school, to help children in Montessori gain an education and get out of poverty. It's now turned into a non-profit organization "The Right to Learn" and I am interested in visiting the school when I go. Has anyone heard of this school or non-profit? Or been to Nicaragua before? Or does anyone volunteer for similar Montessori schools? :thanks:

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Nov 30, 2011

I've never heard of it before. It sounds very interesting!

4. mkate

mkate Comrade

Dec 11, 2011

I don't know much about Montessori, but I have been to Nicaragua. My experiences were very positive-- friendly people, gorgeous landscapes (not so much in Managua, but some of the smaller towns, forests, mountains, lakes, coasts, volcanoes, etc.) Interesting contrasts politically between, say Granada and Leon (as evidenced mostly by graffitti and conversations with the locals, but this was several years ago so that may not be the case anymore.) Very hot, and depending on where you are, either very dry or very humid.

You might enjoy the novel "The Inhabited Woman" by Gioconda Belli.

In any case, it sounds like a very interesting project. Enjoy your trip!