Montessori Job Offer/Questions

Discussion in 'Montessori' started by MsK, Mar 16, 2010.

1. MsK

MsK Rookie

Mar 16, 2010

Today I was offered a job as a teaching assistant in a montessori school's toddler room. The problem is, I am unsure if I should accept the position due to the pay. They offered me $9 a hour without benefits for a 9-5 day (some days I will be there 9-3). Is this typical pay for a Montesorri school?

I'm unsure if I should continue to sub in public schools (~$100/day 3 days a week) which I have been doing for about a year now or accept the position. Which will look better on my resume in the long run? I am dually certified in Birth-2nd grade and 1st-6th grade and have my masters in 1st -6th grade in NY. I have been told multiple times in interviews that I "lack the necessary experience" to be a gen ed elementary teacher. Would a TA in a Montessori be appropriate experience if my long term goal is to teach in a general education setting in a public school?

Thanks for your input!

3. mtiroly

mtiroly Rookie

Mar 16, 2010

Maybe I don't understand what kind of licenses you have, but being dual licensed in (what i assume is) ECE and elem. 1-6 with a masters should give you the credentials you need to teach elementary in a public school. However I know every state is different.

As far as being an assistant. I made $9/hr without benefits at a private Montessori school as an assistant about 10 years ago. But really i don't know if it would be much better today whether you were an assistant in a Montessori or an assistant in a public school classroom. Support staff don't make much anywhere. But generally less in a private school.

I would not recommend taking this position, if your goal is to be an elementary teacher in a traditional public school program. As difficult as subbing is, I would stick with it.

4. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Mar 16, 2010

You need to be in a much more challenging position, esp in a public school.
    Good luck,
    Rebel1

5. MsK

MsK Rookie

Mar 17, 2010

I am qualified to teach elementary in the state of NY (all you need is to be certified and to get your masters within 5 years of receiving a job. I have already finished my masters prior to receiving a job therefore I will not have to return to school). However, in every interview I have they say that its great I am done with school but that I do not have any experience (I student taught for 16 weeks and have substitute taught in grades K-8 since last May). I've been offered several teaching assistant positions over the past year, but no classroom teaching positions. I'm incredibly upset over it all and feel that I would be settling taking the teaching assistant position at this school because it is not my ultimate goal to be an assistant, but rather a classroom teacher. I am very frustrated :(

6. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Mar 17, 2010

I agree that if your goal is to work with elementary aged children, I'd stick with the subbing. Sometimes once you start to work with younger children, it's hard to get out of that frame of reference, if you will, regardless of your education.

7. thesub

thesub Comrade

Mar 25, 2010

MsK: I was also in a dilemma, to continue subbing or take a job in a montessori school for $9/hr. In the end, I am taking the Montessori job because it works around my kids' schedule and it is steady, 5 day job and not so sporadic like subbing. But then I am not certified in teaching - I have only the CE and a Master's degree in Creative Writing. Lots of good luck to you.

thesub

8. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jun 27, 2010

Does anyone post under these threads anymore? Most of the dates I see are from 2008..

9. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2010

:)