Montessori High schools

Discussion in 'Montessori Archives' started by mshutchinson, Mar 10, 2006.

1. mshutchinson

mshutchinson Comrade

Mar 10, 2006

Does anyone have a listing of Montessori High Schools, especially fo New York...

Thank you

3. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Mar 15, 2006

Nope, but you may want to check the AMS website.

4. Yenna

Yenna Companion

Apr 11, 2006

There is a boarding and day-high school outside of Cleveland called the Hershey Montessori Farm School.

5. Kerana5

Kerana5 Rookie

Jul 3, 2006

The school I was working at in SC was looking into opening a Middle School. It was going to be a difficult proposition as there are very few trained teachers at that level, and even fewer at the High School level.

And also, like Yenna said, the High Schools that do exist incorporate Montessori's idea of Earth Children. They are farms or cooperatives where the children farm the land and sell their produce. This puts them in closer touch with their environment and puts the children in charge of managing everything.

Not many parents were comfortable with their children living at school and working while doing so. So, the idea fell through.

But I heard that there was a Montessori High School in Austing Texas as well as a teacher training center that trained h.s. level teachers.

6. cwp873

cwp873 Comrade

Jul 3, 2006

Cincinnati Public is expanding it's Montessori programs into high school.

7. fire1

fire1 New Member

Jul 9, 2006

Cincinnati Public (Clark Montessori HS) and Grand Rapids (MI) Public Schools (New Century Montessori) have both had Montessori high schools for 10 years. There is a new Montessori high school opening in Milwaukee Public Schools this fall and others projects in Redlands, CA (Grove High School-charter) Minneapolis-St.Paul (Great River High School-charter), Golden (Compass Montessori-charter) and Houston (School of the Woods-private). Several more projects are in the planning stages. There are some 23 Montessori High Schools in the Netherlands as well.

8. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Jul 10, 2006

That is really exciting. I wish that I lived in one of these cities, so my DS could attend a Montessori high school.