montessori day schedule

Discussion in 'Montessori' started by crayonkid, Jan 21, 2009.

1. crayonkid

crayonkid Rookie

Jan 21, 2009

im a new teacher and i am currently running my own kindy and daycare center.

i hav 9 children from d ages 3- 6.

i am montessori qualified but im having trouble with my classroom management. i have quite a number of materials.

how is a day at a montessori school like?

what is the timetable like?

does one go by a thematic approach or should all learning b that what comes from using d materials?

also of my 9, 4 are new, just 3 wks in, whereas d others hav been with me for a year. should i seperate them or group them all together?

if i group them all together, how does it work?

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jan 21, 2009

I think it's absolutely necessary for the children to be together. The younger children learn from the older children, and it's just part of the Montessori Philosophy. I think you'd be doing a disservice to the families you serve if you separated the children.

Our school is full day. Here's our schedule:

7:30 school opens,
    8:30 all children should be at school by now.
    10:15-ish we have our morning meeting.
    10:30 outside
    11:45 we have what we call a "lunch meeting". Basically it's a transitional meeting where we get all 52 kids inside. We sing songs, read stories, play games, etc., then excuse to wash hands before lunch.
    12:05 lunch starts
    12:45 lunch is finished.
    Children who nap go to the naproom, all other children go back outside again.
    1:00 some children go home (that's our 1/2 day program)
    1:25 the kindergarten children have an enrichment meeting in the afternoons with different teachers.
    Mondays we do academic things
    Tuesdays they study dance and art appreciation
    Wednesdays they study physical and cultural geography. Lots of crafts and making different foods.
    Thursdays they study botany and zoology.
    Fridays they do physical science.

The children who are not napping and not in kindergarten go into one of the classrooms for the afternoon and choose work. Occasionally a teacher will do a special art activity or something similar with them. We have 2 classrooms, so only one is used in the afternoon and it alternates giving the teachers in the unused classroom a chance to clean or meet in a team.

3:00 is our dismissal time for children who are only here for the school day. All other children are outside if weather permits, or they go to our extended day room for the rest of the day until their parents come to get them.

It's absolutely imperative that the returning children help orient the new children. Simply by knowing the rules and routines, they are "in the flow" so to speak and the new kids pick up on it.

I must say, though, that when the new children are just starting, it's ABSOLUTELY IMPERATIVE that you reinforce the groundrules and teach them how to put things away, push in chairs, etc. If you don't have order in your environment, nothing else will happen.

4. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jan 21, 2009

As far as keeping them all together while they're working, what I do is find time to work with children 1:1 while the other children are engaged in work. Or, if you can, try to give a lesson to a small group of 2 or 3 children who have similar interests and skill levels.

What kinds of things are you doing now?

5. Yenna

Yenna Companion

Jan 24, 2009

Hi crayonkid, where did you get your training?
    Have you ever heard of a 3 hour work cycle? This is a specific Montessori fundamental element. Find info in the book "Spontaneous Activity in Education" by M.M. For our All-day class, children arrive between 7:45 and 8:30 we have a morning work cycle until 11:30. This includes all individual and small group lessons, practicing lessons and playing small group games, snack, stories, songs, poems, etc...
    We go outside until 12:00 and have lunch; children set the tables independently and clean up usually by around 1:15. The nappers go in to the nap room and the rest back to the main room for afternoon work cycle, again this includes all presentations: individual, small group and whole group. Children are invited to all lessons and lessons/activities (including enrichment and large motor lessons) are planned by observing the interests of the children.
    We do not go by a thematic approach but all learning is done by the child "auto-education" through use of the materials.
    The children in a Montessori class are grouped according to the following age guidelines. Ideally, children move up to the next level when they are ready....
    infants: birth to 1
    toddlers: 1 or 1.5 to 2.5
    Children's House (Casa dei Bambini): 2.5 to 6+
    Elementary: traditionally this is for ages 6 through 12, in America this has been often split into lower and upper el: 6 to 9 and 9 to 12.
    Middle School (called an Adolescent Community): 12 to 15
    High School: 15 to 18

6. montemom

montemom New Member

Apr 15, 2009

You MUST have allow the children to engage in a 3 hour work cycle!