Montessori Certification

Discussion in 'Montessori' started by Jem, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 10, 2008

Hey, guys! I'm starting to get really interested in the Montessori philosophy... I think it's everything I believe about education, and I had just never known about it. I'm thinking I would like to apply to a Montessori school, but I'm also thinking I need a certification in the philosophy. I would like to teach older students (3-5th grade), but am having trouble figuring out where or how to get this certification. Are the programs really 2 years in length? Any advice on where to look for older certification? I'm seeing mostly pre-school programs. Do you know of any online programs that I could do while I work?

Thanks for any help, guys! It looks like an amazing philosophy, and I can't wait to discover more!

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Oct 11, 2008

Where in the country are you Jem?

4. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 12, 2008

I'm in the US-Northern California. I did quite a bit of research last night, and there seems to be only one training center by me, and it only trains for the little ones (up through 6). The only training centers for older kids that I've found are in other states.

I did find a school in my county that does not require upper elementary teachers have a montessori certification, but obviously I would want to know the philosophy inside and out.

5. Yenna

Yenna Companion

Oct 12, 2008

Hi Jem!
    The AMI elementary training is 1 (academic) year and covers the entire elementary curriculum which is for ages 6 to 12. This is usually divided into a class for 6 to 9 and one for 9 to 12 although the original plan is to have all 6 ages in one class.

There may be an AMI elementary training in Mountain view; Did you see this thread? http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=70679

Here is an assistant training in La Jolla:
    http://www.misdami.org/misd-trainingcenter/programs/2007Assistants Course.pdf

Good luck! I would not recommend the online training - I've looked at a few of the online curriculums (I have AMI primary certificate) and it just does not compare plus, it would be difficult to find a good job.

6. KDS

KDS Companion

Dec 4, 2008

can i jump in with a question? we are looking at getting my son into the montessori school here..what is AMI?
    What sort of training/education should good Montessori teachers have?

7. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Dec 5, 2008

AMI is the association of Montessori International AMS is the American Montessori Society.

All teachers in a MOntessori classroom should have their certification from either AMS or AMI. Some have bachelors degrees or masters degrees in Education as well. It just depends.

8. Yenna

Yenna Companion

Dec 7, 2008

AMI is the Association Montessori Internationale. It was begun by Dr. Montessori to continue and safeguard her life's work. See www.montessori-ami.org for more information. AMI training requires an undergrad degree in education or a related field. The training is completed in either a 9 month academic format or over the course of 3 summers.
    AMS was originally affiliated by AMI but AMI withdrew the association after changes were made to the original format and theory.
    AMI schools require all Guides with AMI training as well as regular performance reviews. The school should have a protected 3 hour work period and a class consisting of good representation from a 3+ age span.
    Good luck!