Montessori Art

Discussion in 'Montessori' started by stlart, Jul 22, 2012.

1. stlart

stlart New Member

Jul 22, 2012

I recently got a job teaching Montessori art for 2 hours each week. I am not Montessori trained and used to general education classrooms. I was informed by the head of school to prepare only 5 lessons for the whole school year. I am confused by this as I am used to preparing a new lesson every week. What is the purpose of so few lessons and does anyone have any ideas of good ones. Please help!!

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2012

I have no idea....have you asked the director why only 5 lessons for the year?

4. stlart

stlart New Member

Jul 24, 2012

art

I haven't, I feel like such a fool constantly reminding her that I am not in the Montessori mindset yet! She often says the students cannot learn until they immerse themselves in an activity and it becomes part of them. So I am thinking she wants the students to do the same medium over and over again? Sounds boring to me but I am not used to this environment. Hoping someone with art Montessori experience could shed some light!

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 25, 2012

I googled Montessori art projects and found several blogs and videos. One is a project the 3-5 year old class did this past year at my school (it wasn't someone from my school who posted).

6. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2012

I don't know too much about Montessori, but the art teacher I know was telling me they spend an intense amount of time with each medium. So they might be using oil pastals and only oil pastals for 2 months straight.

7. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2012

I know the art teacher at our school does mini projects with the kids. She has them for 45 mins to an hour each week and they do things like make haunted houses in October out of shoeboxes for about 4-5 weeks, they make a quilt for our annual auction and that work goes on for another 6 weeks. They study different artists throughout history, etc.

I know with my kindergarten children we have an hour and a half a week exclusively for art history and we've been studying different artists and their style of work. For example, when we did Michelangelo we read a book about his life and talked about his work and taped paper to the underside of the tables and they drew laying on the floor. It was wild, and they loved it.