Montessori and Halloween

Discussion in 'Montessori Archives' started by MDMontessori, Oct 5, 2003.

1. MDMontessori

MDMontessori Companion

Oct 5, 2003

How do you handle Halloween in your class? We are starting to study spiders this week so a Mom and I went in yesterday and decorated the room with webs, spiders, etc. We will also study bats and pumpkins.

I know we have to go with concrete......so we also put up some pumpkin cut outs. She brought in a beautiful witch door decoration and I let her put it up. I got to thinking maybe that is not so ok. We are a consumer school also..meaning we complete with other daycares and want a full enrollment to pay the bills.

We have a big party and go to an office across the parking lot that decorates beautifully.

They are litle kids living in a modern world. What are your thoughts?

Eileen

3. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Oct 5, 2003

transfer items

I think you could get plastic spiders for them to tweezer and transfer from the dish to the web (cotton with marker on it)

make spiders out of cookies and licorice

Halloween is NOT to be celebrated at our public school. To get around that, the kids are to do book reports on a famous person, author, or story book character and come dressed AS the character and present their reports.

You can have the kids make spider tracks across a peice of construction paper and then at the edge of the paper have a bouncy (two thin strips of paper folded back and forth into each other) and the spider needs to be push pinned out to go onto the paper spring.
    Spider tracks are made by dipping their finger tips into paint and holding their thumbs up, you get eight little finger tips to dance across the paper. You may need to dip the fingers more then once.
    Or, you could have them use black construction paper with WHITE paint. Do marble rolling and call it 'spider's web'.

Let the kids make their own jackolantern drawing on orange construction paper and then tape the edge together or give it a staple or two, so it forms a wide tube and let them be on display on the top of the shelves.

4. AJK

AJK Pre-k Montessori Teacher

Oct 7, 2003

We have, dare I say it, bulletin boards inbetween each classroom, so two classes share a bulletin board. We put up a checkerboard style of orange and black paper, we are concentrating on Halloween colors being orange and black (I have poem like that). The teacher next to me is doing die-cut pumpkins covered in orange tissue paper so I'm looking for a cute Halloween craft of something black (spider, black cat, bat, etc.) It has to be relatively small, and each child needs to be able to make one. Let me know if you have any ideas.

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator