Montessori and Christmas

Discussion in 'Montessori Archives' started by MDMontessori, Nov 16, 2003.

1. MDMontessori

MDMontessori Companion

Nov 16, 2003

Our school is pretty liberal when it comes to Christmas. We are allowed to sing religious songs, etc. We say grace everyday before lunch also.

I am looking for some fun lessons...not coloring sheets, etc.... but things that remain on the shelf for the month. I try to change over my room once a month beyond the lessons that stay all year. Things that do not invove me beyond demonstrating the lesson to a child.

Eileen

3. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Nov 16, 2003

heres a couple of ideas:

1)santa puzzle or snowman puzzle(head only) made from felt peices you cut out. Include the red hat and white circle/pom pom at the end of the hat. Also, his beard, and glasses! I suppose you could do the entire body with buttons, and boots etc or you can make a felt snowman puzzle with three sizes of circles and the hat, scarf and coal eyes and buttons and carrot shaped nose!....
    2)and then also we used to transfer mini pine cones into a mini basket. Symbols of christmas that dont include the religious aspect should be fun. Can you find a suction cup soap thingy of a tree? and the kids put little beads (to represent decorative balls) using a tweezer? I saw someone had bought HUGE mats that I think are for drying dish racks and CUT their own shape!!! the suction cups were HUGE and they used mini decorative balls (from joann fabrics) to transfer onto the suction cups. SUPER CUTE. looked like a christmas tree.
    3)I also know that gift wrapping is a big practical life activity. If you have a poem that the kids can attach (i wish i can find it= goes to the effect that, dont undo the wrapping as the gift has nothing inside its just the thought that matters) Its a peice of styrofoam or, in side can be a peice of scrap wood.(not any bigger then the palm of their hand) The child can 'wrap' the gift and label it with the poem that they 'write/copy' themselves and it can be a gift they give someone.
    4) what about those paper punch (thumb push or hand punch) anyhow, you can get the kids to PUSH PIN a tree and they hole punch from color construction paper things that look like dots (bulbs) and they can use yarn and the little colored balls to decorate their tree as if its a strand of 'lights' Or, if you find a paper punch of a pine cone or snow flakes, you could have them add those to their 'tree'

let me know if you get any ideas!

4. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Nov 16, 2003

grace

Dont know which you use, but here is our 'grace' from montessori school:
    we are thankful for the food before us
    the friends beside us,
    and the love between us
    Amen
    Bon apetite, now we may eat.

5. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Nov 16, 2003

This is a very special gift that you can never see.
    The reason it's so special is it's for you from me.
    Whenever you are lonely, or even feeling blue, you only have to hold this gift and know I think of you.
    You never can unwrap it, please leave the ribbon tied.
    Just hold this box close to your heart.....it's filled with LOVE inside!

Thought this might be the poem Ruth was speaking of...

6. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Nov 16, 2003

YES!

THATS IT! Oh my, now, you got me thinking- that has got to be the cheepest but sweetest thing I can do with this class I just got. I was going to do little cappucino cups with bambboo shoots and gravel!

MD LOVE THE AVATAR PHOTO!!!!:D

7. MDMontessori

MDMontessori Companion

Nov 16, 2003

Thanks to Amanda I got that avatar put on. I love that grace. We use the God is great one. I just may teach the kids that one...sounds more Montessori.

Eileen

8. diggerdeb

diggerdeb Comrade

Nov 16, 2003

gift wrap center

I don't teach Montessorei but........
    you gals have the greatest ideas.......
    I want a gift wrapping center. YOu know, empty boxes, scrap wrapping paper etc. The kids could wrap and unwrap the boxes.
    Here's the rub-how can I do it without going thru a million and one tape dispensers?
    I think the kids would really enjoy this.

9. MDMontessori

MDMontessori Companion

Nov 16, 2003

I bought a bucket of those foam shapes with the peel off sticky backs with a Xmas theme. I am going to make a couple of strips with different patterns. Then they can reproduce the pattern with the shapes to take home.

I am going to look for a minature tree and ornaments. They can trim the tree....great fine motor activity.

I found a santa face with circles on the beard. They can glue cotton balls on the circles.

I will hit the dollar stores this week and see what they have. I like little minatures for a one to one matching lesson.

Have a good week!!!

Eileen