Montessori Affiliates

Discussion in 'Montessori' started by love2help, Nov 8, 2010.

1. love2help

love2help Rookie

Nov 8, 2010

Are all schools Montessori affiliates? I don't understand what that necessarily means. My principal explained to me that the school needs to pay $6000 dollars inorder to have Montessori consultants come out and assess the "trueness" of the school. Seems different. I was wondering how different schools affiliate with Montessori and what schools actually get the closet to the "true" Montessori pedagogy.

3. love2help

love2help Rookie

Nov 8, 2010

It seems to me that from my research that not all Montessori Schools are created equal. Just about anyone can put the Montessori name on a building because it’s not a trademark. It would be wise for parents to think deeply before choosing a Montessori school over a reputable public school just because of the name Montessori. I would assert that if the school is truly Montessori I would have a talk with the Principal and ask her “What makes this a truly Montessori building?” What are the weak points in the building and the strong points?

4. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Nov 8, 2010

Agreed. Not all schools that use the Montessori name are truly MOntessori schools. Good questions to ask are: What's the training of the teachers? What's the age groupings of children? What are the ratio of teachers to children?

All certified Montessori schools have certain criteria that they need to meet in order to be certified or accredited. There must be at least one certified teacher in each classroom and there must be a complete 3 year age grouping of children. There must also be a complete complement of materials. There are many more, but those are the basics. I'm currently serving on a accreditation team for AMS certification, and most schools have a consultant come out and look at their school and documentation to see if they're ready for accredication.

A school can be affiliated with the American Montessori Society and not accredited. I don't think it costs that much. Going through the accreditation process is expensive, but well worth it.

5. love2help

love2help Rookie

Nov 8, 2010

Yes, the school I sub at is affiliated but NOT accreditated.

6. love2help

love2help Rookie

Nov 8, 2010

What's the major criteria difference between a certified Montessori and an accreditated Montessori?

7. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Nov 9, 2010

Teachers can get certified in the Montessori Method and schools become accredited.