Montessori activities for foreign languages

Discussion in 'Montessori' started by Susana, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Susana

Susana Rookie

Sep 28, 2006

I am an English Teacher as a foreign language in Argentina, where we speak Spanish.
    I was trained as an ordinary teacher and now I am working for the first time in a Montessori school.
    I would like to receive ideas or sites to visit where I can find activities on how to teach English as a foreign language to boys and girls from 7 to 12 years old.

Thank you,

Susana

3. Yenna

Yenna Companion

Oct 4, 2006

I would think that at a Montessori school, one should present a second language just like the first language is learned. Generally speaking, we start with Spoken language, then go to writing and then reading activities follow. Spoken language means that the child is first and foremost hearing this language without having to perform (writing and reading). Lots of repetition and exploration with the language: stories, songs, poems, fingerplays, etc. The child needs a strong experiential foundation with any discipline before beginning advanced study. This is, for me, one of Dr. M's best contributions to providing a successful learning environment. There are many materials for writing and reading in the M program. The Montessorians at your school should be able to help you but the best thing to do would be to get Montessori training. There simply is just too much for one person to teach you in their spare time. The training is comprehensive and you would learn how to apply the Montessori language lessons to your age group.

4. carolep48

carolep48 Rookie

Oct 12, 2006

Teaching foreign languages in a Montessori environment

Susana:
    I am presently teaching Spanish to english speaking kids. I taught English as a second language for many years too.
    I use lots of songs WITH MOVEMENT! I have also created over 70 works for the kids to do.
    I teach Primary (3-6) and Elementary (6-12)
    3 year-olds I only sing, move, color a little and show them videos. If I do a work I do it in group asking questions...
    for kids that can read or are beginning to read, the same plus some easy, few words, works.
    For the older ones, same as above plus more complex works and Reading Comprehension. I try to do most of the class in spanish (target language in my case)
    I would be delighted to share ideas with you. Feel free to write to me any time.
    Sincerely,
    Carol Peeters

5. Susana

Susana Rookie

Oct 13, 2006

Teaching English as a second language

Carol:
    I feel delighted to have found you! It would be great if we can share ideas, I can tell you of many many songs in Sapnish for little ones and for older ones!
    You too can share with me many ideas.
    I sent a private message to you in Spanish, hope you have received it well.
    My private e-mail is: pysbravo@ciudad.com.ar
    I live near Buenos Aires in Argentina and would be pleased if we can mail each other frequently.
    I work from Mondays to Thursdays and have my Fridays free!!! I check my mail every afternoon.
    Regards,

Susana
    pysbravo@ciudad.com.ar

6. carolep48

carolep48 Rookie

Oct 13, 2006

Great!
    by the way, si queres, hablamos en castellano porque soy argentina! !!
    Soy de San Isidro Buenos Aires... me mude aqui hace alrededor de 7 años
    Cariños
    Carol

7. Susana

Susana Rookie

Oct 14, 2006

Enseñando idiomas

Ja! El mundo es chico!!!!!
    Yo viví en San Isidro cuando recién me casé, mi marido es de allá.
    Bueno, yo buscaba in fact una teacher de castellano como lengua extranjera en USA, que tuviera mother tongue inglés. Pero está bueno, compartir ideas.
    Enseño en una escuela Montessori que además incorporó el Proyecto Spectrum (no sé si oiste hablar de eso), es algo muy nuevo que incorpora la enseñanza a partir de las 7 inteligencias de los chicos y bla blabla, la cuestión es que no nos capacitan especialmente pero sí nos exigen en lo que no sabemos muy bien qué es ni cómo hacerlo.
    Tuve una reunión con el director los otros días en la que me dijoq ue yo enseñana de forma muy convencional, que tenía que sacar los chicos afuera (hay un lindo parque), que no los quería más en el aula, etc etc. No me dejan usar libro ni fotocopias ni cartulinas ni papelitos ni nada, los pibes de tercero en vez de escribir today, escriben CHU DEI, es re-loco, a veces me siento con las manos atadas, por eso quería consultar cómo eneseñás castellano allá dentro de las técnicas Montessori que se parecen en parte a las del Proyecto Spectrum. Es algo muy nuevo, super de onda, (al menos acá) y continúa un poco la línea Waldorf a la que acusa de atrasar 20 años, en fin. Ando buscando ayuda porque estoy un poco perdida, además me acaban de nombrar directora del depto de inglés y necesito buena información para pasarle a las otras teachers.
    No sé si tellegó mi mail privado pero como no puedo poner mi dirección privada de correo acá te la deletreo así el sistema no la borra: pe, ygriega, ese, belarga, ere, a, vecorta, o (de oso), luego viene la arroba, después la palabra ciudad y por supuesto termina con punto com, punto ar.
    plis, escribirme al mío así no tengo que entrar al sitio cada vez, tenquiu!

Susana Bravo

8. camillep

camillep New Member

Dec 30, 2006

montessori argentina

hello susana,
    iam a french (bilingual in english) montessori teacher and I would like to find montessori schools in argentina. I would like to move to tsouth america and specially to buenos aires, and iam hoping to find a job there in a bilingual montessori schools.
    do you have any advice to give me or websites to look at ?
    thanks a lot
    camille
    camilleploux@hotmail.fr

9. camillep

camillep New Member

Jan 28, 2007

hello katia
    well iam a montessori teacher for 3-6 years old and trained in paris. i know there are several training program lasting two or three summers, in the states but i don't know where exactly. check montessori namta, montessori ami, montessori connections and montessori magazine websites. you should be able to get information.
    feel free to email me if you want further information: camilleploux@hotmail.fr
    xx
    camille

10. Susana

Susana Rookie

Jan 29, 2007

Katia, I would be glad to help you with songs in Spanish for little kids, I know a lot!! It would be great if we can connect directly, my e-mail is the following (I spell it because, as you know, the system deletes it if not) It´s letter p, then letter y, then letter s, then the word "bravo" then the symbol "at", and then the word "ciudad", then a dot, then the word com , then another dot and finally the word "ar". Hope you get it!!
    Susana

11. señora juana

señora juana New Member

Jun 17, 2007

to Susana or other Montessori teachers in Buenos Aires

Susana,
    I just finished my first year teaching spanish to children 3 to 9 years old in a Montessori school in N. Virginia. I lived 7 years in Argentina where my husband is from. I am going to be traveling there in July. I would like to visit a Montessori school while I am there. Is your school located in Gran Buenos Aires and would you be interested to meet?

12. carolep48

carolep48 Rookie

Jun 19, 2007

Montessori School in buenos aires

Hi Juana!
    if you go to buenos aires there is a mOntessori school in Olivos, zona norte. I believe it is on Calle Salta... near Olivos train station.
    It has been there for over 30 years. they specialize in teaching english as a second language.
    If you go please tell the director, a very nice blonde lady taht Carol Peeters, from Highland Meadow Montessori school in Texas says Hi.
    I visited her school back in 2003. She is really nice and showed me around the school and let me observe one of the classes.
    Have a good safe trip!!

13. carolep48

carolep48 Rookie

Jun 19, 2007

Katia, I had not visited this site in some time, That's why i am replying so late. Gabriela Wilcox, in Plano, TX has developed a program which she sells on the internet...but I do not recall the name. sorry :(.
    I would love to exchange ideas with you of course. carolpeeters at hot mail.... if you write me there I'll see your email sooner for sure!
    Bye for now.
    Carol

14. señora juana

señora juana New Member

Jun 19, 2007

Hi Carol,
    Thanks for answering !I am really exited. I am starting next schoolyear teaching one afternoon in the classroom, giving Montessori lessons in Spanish so I really want to go and observe! I wrote a mail to some friends of Olivos to see if they know more details on this school. Do you remember the name of the director or the exact name of the school? If I get there, I will surely send your regards.
    I have another question for you (or anybody else reading this message). I teach primary and lower elementary. For primary my program is based on Alice Renton's program and I like it. Do you use something as 'a base' for elementary? I am looking into using some things of a program that is called Viva el Español!. Do you know that?
    Thank you so much.

15. señora juana

señora juana New Member

Jun 28, 2007

Carole, hi again,
    No te preocupes, ya encontre la info sobre el colegio Montessori en Olivos. Si me gustaria encontrar mas info sobre espanol en elementary.
    Garcias. Ingrid.

16. rozegoddess

rozegoddess Rookie

Sep 25, 2007

Hi!
    Looks like this thread has gone off in a specifically Argentinian/Spanish direction, but I'll put in my two cents on general foreign language in Montessori.

I'm teaching English as a second language in age 3-6 kindergarten in Austria. Basically, I go through the materials with the kids like the other teachers, except in English (the kids only speak German).
    I try to speak German only when I have to clarify a concept (i.e. they really need to understand) or for disciplinary/management issues. I also teach the kids songs in English and have an hour-long session once a week when I'm supposed to do music.

This seems to work pretty well; I can see that the kids are slowly understanding more and more of what I say, and the materials give themselves to teaching colors, numbers, concepts like here and there, etc.

Any advice on how to work more effectively/ideas would be welcome.

17. Spanish Teacher

Spanish Teacher New Member

Jan 16, 2008

You are making reference to Gabriela Wilcox's Spanish material called "Touch Spanish--Hands-on Spanish for children".

18. salserajen

salserajen New Member

Jul 8, 2008

Montessori language teaching

Carol (and any other Montessori teachers),

I found your e-mail while searching for Montessori foreign language teachers online. I am a teacher of Spanish at a Montessori school in Lancaster PA, and I'm just looking to exchange ideas with other teachers. Would you be interested in communicating with me? I teach three year olds all the way on up to 14 year olds, and I'm most interested in learning how other teachers implement the Montessori philosophy in their schools, how often you teach - time frames etc. I really enjoy teaching at my school, but I've sort of had to learn as I go as I am not trained in Montessori.

Many thanks Carol ... I'd love to hear from you.

Jenny

19. Maria Argain

Maria Argain New Member

Sep 19, 2008

Sole

I have read that you use Alice M. Renton´s materials for teaching Spanish in the classroom. I have the teacher´s guide book but I am lacking the rest of the materias. Do you know how I can get them?
    Thank you so much,

Sole

20. mrken

mrken New Member

Aug 30, 2009

Alice Renton

Hello there,
    I keep reading about Alice Renton's Spanish Montessori curriculum but I am unable to find contact info to contact Alice or a place where to get her books. Can anyone please let me know?

Thank you kindly,
    Ken

21. StephiePia

StephiePia New Member

Nov 4, 2009

New Montessori teacher

Hi Carol, I was wondering if we could chat sometime soon about your techniques and the works you have developed for the students.

Thank You,
    Stephanie J.

22. Lillyone

Lillyone New Member

May 5, 2010

Hello Susana,
    Do you know of any Montessori Pre School in Buenos Aires? I am looking for one to register my grandson.

Thank you,
    Lillyone

23. xxticnacxx

xxticnacxx New Member

May 27, 2011

I will be teaching English in China at a Montessori school in a few months. I was wondering if anyone knows of where I can get basic course outlines and lesson plans. That would be extremely helpful. I will be teaching kids ages 5-6.

24. titiatl

titiatl New Member

Jun 17, 2011

Clases de Espanol en Montesori

Hola a todas, yo soy maestra de Espanol en USA por mas de 8 anos pero ahora una escuela Montessori quiere que de clases a ellos, no se nada de Monstessori, alguien me podria decir como comenzar que tiene de especial, o simplemente sigo mis clases normales. Eso de que los ninos sean de varias edad y que cada quien hace lo que quiere cuando quiere me tiene un poco angustiada. Necesito ayuda, gracias.

25. carolep48

carolep48 Rookie

Sep 1, 2011

Titiatl:
    Los ninos en Montessori no "hacen lo que quieren" como cuando lo decimos de una manera despectiva!!!
    Tienen "opciones" en la clase donde todo esta cuidadosamente preparado para que puedan elegir libremente entre esas opciones didacticas, adecuadas a su edad, a su maderez, etc. y que la maestra o guia le ha presentado mediante una leccion de como usar los materiales, como trabajar.
    No te asustes, simplemente trata de hacer lo que sabes hacer, y de agregar tantas actividades "hands on" como puedas, el movimiento y los manipulativos son esenciales.
    Buena suerte!
    Carol

26. marcbfryer

marcbfryer New Member

Oct 9, 2011

Camille:

Malheureusement Je ne peux pas vous aider avec votre question. Mais pourriez-vous me rendre un service? J'enseigne le Francais a une ecole Montessori Americaine. Pourriez-vous m'indiquer une website Francaise ou je pourrais acheter pour mon ecole des produits Montessori qui aident a enseigner la langue aux eleves maternelles?

Merci beaucoup d'avance

Marc Fryer
    mfstryder1021@aol.com

27. mikol'o

mikol'o New Member

Sep 17, 2012

Camille,

Je m'apprete a enseigner le francais dans une ecole Montessori dans l'Alabama. Quelles resources pourriez vous me conseiller ou qu'elles sont les sites qui pourraient m'etre utiles pour trouver des ressources et de l'inspiration. Je ne suis pas prof par formation mais apres une periode d'essai l'an passe, le comite m'a demande de continuer cette annee.

Merci pour tout renseignement,

Michael

28. mikol'o

mikol'o New Member

Sep 18, 2012

Starting French program at Montessori

While my children have been attending Montessori schools for years I am introducing conversational French to a Montessori school which opened just a year ago. I am tri-lingual but not trained Mont. and will teach primary and elementary (3-12 year old). Could any one share some tips or best practices for starting such a program?

Thanks, merci & danke!
    Michael

29. Teffany

Teffany New Member

Jan 12, 2013

Hello,

I absolutely loved my experience with BridgeTEFL courses! I took the four-week course in Buenos Aires, Argentina. I had a great time learning from [my instructor]-he has a wonderful sense of humor and was very helpful when it came to getting to know the city. I always looked forward to the afternoon when we had our teaching practice; there was always a nice sized class full of students of various speaking abilities. It greatly prepared me for what I would encounter when I started teaching.

Good luck !
    Tiffany Jones
    tefljobs4u

30. Bekita

Bekita New Member

Apr 15, 2013

any body still active

I would love to get in contact with anyone in this tread as i have the opportunity to teach some kids in a montessori kindy here in chile and would love to chat with someone and exchange ideas!

Thanks

31. Bumb

Bumb New Member

Oct 21, 2013

Hi Carole,
    In case you're still active on this website, I'm also interested in finding out how to teach English as a foreign language in an Elemetary classroom. I have just recently joined Montessori and started a 3-summers Elementary training (just completed my first summer so far) and I'm working as an assistant in a 6-9 environment. I am talking to the children in English all day long, but on the other hand I have been asked to hold presentations for English. Some of the older should already go into some deeper study of the language.

I would be grateful to receive some advice and support materials from your behalf.

Thank you in advance,
    Lavinia.

I'd send you a private message just I didn't figure out so far how to do that on this forum.

Looking forward for your reply.

32. Clara_py

Clara_py New Member

Sep 1, 2015

Hello!!!! I'm in the same problem you were!!!! I'm starting with children from 1to 3 of kinder in a Montessori school, and also "Casa de niños" (I'm in Mexico, I've just started teaching here).
    Please if someone could also help me, the previous teacher used the traditional method, but I think that I would like to use a Montessori method. I've started with songs, dances and cards, but I would really like them to go out of the school understanding the language, not just knowing some words. Next week I start from 8 to 2, I'll be all day with the kids from 1,2 and 3, so they'll be in touch with the language. But right now I'm lost!!!
    Please if you could send me links for nursery rhymes and songs, it'll be very useful for me, also some tips for teaching Montessori. I kind of have no time for my babies now... I'd like to learn to use my time more efficiently!!! Thank you for reading!!

33. Poline

Poline New Member

Sep 15, 2015

Songs and tales are the best tools to learn foreign languages for kids. For new words I use associative games and lots of other word games.

34. KariSol

KariSol Guest

Sep 19, 2017

Hello Everyone,I am new to this forum and am looking for experienced teachers in Montessori environment who teach English as a second language, I have been teaching in an international montessori preschool before but most of our kids were bilingual already , so there was not much teaching involved. Now I have moved to a school, and my task is to teach those kids English, I am not a fun of TEACHING, with all my heart I prefer exposure to language, but my guestion is how to combine all that on certain levels, like 4th grade for example. I will be gratefull for any help,