Montana and Yellowstone

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Apr 2, 2010.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Apr 2, 2010

Has anyone here been to Montana and/or Yellowstone? We want to ride horses and pan for gold and then off to Yellowstone! I'm going to look on Tripadvisor.com too for ideas on where to stay but if you stayed somewhere fun- like nice log cabins (something unique instead of a hotel) and affordable, let me know.

I appreciate your tips! :)

3. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Apr 2, 2010

Been to Yellowstone many times. It gets really crowded in the summer. You have to go to Old Faithful Lodge and either stay there or eat there. You need reservations to eat there, months in advance. To stay too. Jackson is a great place to stay too. I have heard West Yellowstone is the new place to stay, very crowded there too. Cheaper than in the park. We actually rented a condo outside Jackson last time we went. Look into that. You can always come visit Utah instead of Montana. We have horse back riding especially down by bryce canyon.

4. Securis

Securis Cohort

Apr 2, 2010

I know a place that would be quite a treat. It's four hours from Yellowstone. But the drive across the Lemhi pass is very gorgeous then the drive back around through Montana to come South off the Chief Joseph pass and the Lost Trail pass......Well, I like scenery so.....

Salmon, ID offers Whitewater rafting, trail rides, hikes, and some plush accommodations if you stay at the Syringa Lodge.

I'm sure you are looking to get everything in closer to Yellowstone but consider that the closer you get to the Park, your costs will go up. I think my Dad and I paid $123.00 a night to stay in a regular motel in West Yellowstone for two nights. Something themed, double that and maybe triple. The cost of staying in Salmon was $75 +/- a night but they also negotiated weekly rates. The drive to the park and back again cost maybe $100.00 due to the high gas prices in the area ($4.27 a gallon in West Yellowstone)

If you are interested, I can get you some numbers.

5. Major

Major Connoisseur

Apr 2, 2010

We frequently go to Yellowstone National Park. It is fantastic. Our favorite part is the geothermal areas...geysers, mud pots, and fumaroles.

As for places to stay.... can't really help you there.... We travel in a motor home and stay in West Yellowstone, MT. There are great campgrounds there.

(For what it's worth my wife considers a motor home "camping" ..... I prefer a tent......):lol::lol:

6. 14Scooby2

14Scooby2 Guest

Apr 7, 2010

I would check out the state website, mt.gov. They have tons of resources on different tourist attractions and places to stay. I hope your trip is everything you are looking forward to.